Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Earthquake in Sumatra

Earthquake in Sumatra

Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:16 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Earthquake in Sumatra

Breaking news. Another earthquake has hit Sumatra - 8.2 on the richter scale. Lets hope that it is not as bad as last time. Haven't those people been through enough already?

Vanessa
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:18 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake in Sumatra

[QUOTE=Vanessa]Breaking news. Another earthquake has hit Sumatra - 8.2 on the richter scale. Lets hope that it is not as bad as last time. Haven't those people been through enough already?

Vanessa[/QUOTE

Oh no
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:19 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=fraser]
Originally Posted by Vanessa
Breaking news. Another earthquake has hit Sumatra - 8.2 on the richter scale. Lets hope that it is not as bad as last time. Haven't those people been through enough already?

Vanessa[/QUOTE

Oh no

Thailand has issued a tsunami warning
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:21 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'll give you a shout if it hits Melbourne.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:35 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Just been reading this on sky news, not good.

Hope it doesn;t hit hear again after the last one the beach is a different shape and it could come right into my garden/house.

Obviously I hope it doesn't kill anyone either

Kala
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:39 pm
Merlot

Made me feel a little sick at the thought of what can happen, the wierd thing is that the last one was Boxing day and today is Easter Monday.

Maybe someone bigger is trying to tell us something :scared: .

Conflicting reports on Sky News over here, fingers crossed for good news.

They don't need this again.

M

Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:41 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Just been reading this on sky news, not good.

Hope it doesn;t hit hear again after the last one the beach is a different shape and it could come right into my garden/house.

Obviously I hope it doesn't kill anyone either

Kala
Could just be a bit of scare mongering at the moment. The reports will always look on the bleak side first, especially after last time. We were due to fly to the Maldives on Boxing Day for our honeymoon but this was cancelled so we ended up in SA.

I hope that it doesn't hit you or anywhere for that matter.

Take care
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:45 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Could just be a bit of scare mongering at the moment. The reports will always look on the bleak side first, especially after last time. We were due to fly to the Maldives on Boxing Day for our honeymoon but this was cancelled so we ended up in SA.

I hope that it doesn't hit you or anywhere for that matter.

Take care
Hubby said Sky UK were saying they will only know in 3 hours time what the outcome is.

Would not like to be there.

M

Old Mar 28th 2005, 5:12 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hubby said Sky UK were saying they will only know in 3 hours time what the outcome is.

Would not like to be there.

M

3 hrs has just passed, hopefully the tsunami is a false alarm so fingers crossed that the earthquake didn't harm anyone.

so strange, 2 night I can hear the ocean more than usual must just be because I am expecting to hear it

Kala
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Just wonder how much more those poor people can take, they have lost more than is bearable already.

just hope that tsunami warning is false alarm.

Chris
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:33 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sky News
However a spokesman added: "Authorities can assume the danger has passed if no tsunami waves are observed in the region near the epicentre within three hours of the earthquake".
The quake was almost 4½ hours ago so I hope this is correct.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by wmoore
The quake was almost 4½ hours ago so I hope this is correct.
Lets hope so!
Chris
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:56 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sky News
"It seems this earthquake did not trigger a tsunami," said Prihar Yadi, a scientist with the Indonesian Geophysics Agency."If it had, the tsunami would have hit the coastline of Sumatra by now.
And if there's no tsunami on the coastline near the epicenter of the quake, there will not be one heading in the other direction."
Looks like there's no tsunami to worry about. Though people have been killed in Indonesia by the earthquake itself.

Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:10 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Last I heard was 300 dead.

Nu tsunami, but wierd waves are expected to hit WA coast today. People have been warned to be careful, and there'll be weird tides etc.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:37 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by Simone
Last I heard was 300 dead.

Nu tsunami, but wierd waves are expected to hit WA coast today. People have been warned to be careful, and there'll be weird tides etc.
There has just been a 3rd earthquake in the same area measuruing 5.7
Sky news UK says 2000 dead.
Bloody awfull for the poor eople who live up there

Kala

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.