Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Perth - Earthquake capital of Australia

Perth - Earthquake capital of Australia

Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:39 am
owieb

Default Perth - Earthquake capital of Australia

I came across this web site today having read an article in a government magazine.

Can you believe that Perth has had more than 20,000 small earthquakes since 2001?

Check it out: http://www.ga.gov.au/urban/projects/perth.jsp

So when I was in bed with my wife the other night and she told me the earth moved for her; it obviously wasn't to do with my fantastic performance!

Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:44 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Perth - Earthquake capital of Australia

Originally posted by owieb
I came across this web site today having read an article in a government magazine.

Can you believe that Perth has had more than 20,000 small earthquakes since 2001?

Check it out: http://www.ga.gov.au/urban/projects/perth.jsp

So when I was in bed with my wife the other night and she told me the earth moved for her; it obviously wasn't to do with my fantastic performance!
Very interesting although I better not let Jill see it !!

Warren
Perth 2004.....

Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Jennie will become famous soon enough
Default Earthquakes

Hi this is jennie and am new to the site. Are the Earthquakes in Perth that bad. We are thinking of moving there and are at the TRA stage at the moment. Perth seems a nice place to live. Also are they due for any big earthquakes?? Also Bush Fires in Perth, how do you know where to live so you are not in a danger zone for Bush Fires. The earthquake thing etc makes me a little nervous so your input would be helpful.

Jennie
Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Earthquakes

Originally posted by Jennie
Hi this is jennie and am new to the site. Are the Earthquakes in Perth that bad. We are thinking of moving there and are at the TRA stage at the moment. Perth seems a nice place to live. Also are they due for any big earthquakes?? Also Bush Fires in Perth, how do you know where to live so you are not in a danger zone for Bush Fires. The earthquake thing etc makes me a little nervous so your input would be helpful.

Jennie
Must have been a slow news day. The whole of Australia is not likely to have an earthquake. Don't remember the last time their was an earthquake in Australia that was noticed by Joe public.

With the earthquake monitors they have nowadays thay can find an earthquake has occured anywhere they look. If you look I'm sure you could find the most likely place in the UK for an Earthquake, dosn't mean they are going to have one that you can feel.

As for bush fires don't buy a house surrounded by trees that are right up against the house.

NZ well thats a different ball game they are on a fault line but in 7 years in Auckland I only felt 1 earthquake that did zero damage.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:16 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Some typical pickies:
Meckering, Western Australia

Earthquake Hazards - Perth, Western Australia
Attached Thumbnails Perth - Earthquake capital of Australia-warpedtracks.jpg  
Old Feb 21st 2004, 7:23 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Holy .........!!! :scared:
Old Feb 21st 2004, 7:25 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Very interesting although I better not let Jill see it !!

Warren
Perth 2004.....
Too late darling, don't you know by now - I see all

Jill

Old Feb 21st 2004, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Too late darling, don't you know by now - I see all

Jill
LMAO
Old Feb 21st 2004, 7:59 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newcastle Earthquake 1989

http://www.nsw.wicen.org.au/ncastle.htm

Old Feb 21st 2004, 8:13 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Don't remember the last time their was an earthquake in Australia that was noticed by Joe public.
13 noticed just before it killed them.

Ten Hard Facts About Australia’s Natural Hazards

BUSHFIRES - South-eastern Australia includes areas which are prone to the most severe and frequent wildfires in the world.
FLOODS - The Great Floods of 1990 in southern Queensland, northern NSW and SE Victoria covered a total area larger than Germany.
HEATWAVES - During the 20th Century, heatwaves have caused more deaths in Australia than any other natural hazard (except disease). The worst recorded killed well over 400 people.
SEVERE STORMS - On average in Australia, severe storms (including hail and tornadoes) occur more frequently and cause more insured damage, per year, than any other natural hazard.
DROUGHTS - On average, approximately three out of every 10 years bring drought which costs Australia more than any other natural hazard.
CYCLONES - Tropical cyclones cross the northern, north-eastern and north-western Australian coastline 6 times per year on average.
EARTHQUAKES - In Australia, an earthquake of Richter magnitude 5.5 (ie almost that of the Newcastle event in 1989) occurs every 15 months on average.
TSUNAMIS - Numerous small tsunamis (seismic sea waves) have been recorded along Australia’s coastline and evidence suggests much larger ones occurred before European settlement.
LANDSLIDES - In Australia, landslides have been responsible for approximately five times as many deaths as earthquakes but have caused only 5% as much economic damage.
VOLCANOES - Although the vast majority of volcanoes in Australia are extinct, scientists believe further minor volcanic activity is possible from long-dormant ones in SA and Victoria.

Last edited by Florida_03; Feb 21st 2004 at 8:15 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:25 am
EEL
Forum Regular

EEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jennie

Jennie
Hi Jennie

I wouldn't worry about the earthquakes. I lived in Perth until 1998 and never experienced one. My sister still lives there and has never mentioned one to me. As to the bushfires they only occur in places where there is a lot of bush. These are places on the outskirts of Perth. When you get to Perth you will see it is very easy to work out where the danger zones are. As far as I know when there are bush fires most of the damage is done to bush areas, but not too much to houses.

We are hoping to go back to Perth with our 2 year old son. There is no way I would live in Perth if I thought there was a lot of danger.

Hope this sets your mind at ease.

Lisa
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:53 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank god for that........going to live in QLD

all the best plum

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:15 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by plumber
Thank god for that........going to live in QLD

all the best plum

You lucky, lucky fool; ah to be so innocent. My duty of care compels me to reveal:
Queensland - Natural Hazards & the risks they pose to South-East QUEENSLAND
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I was unaware of any earthquake or volcano activity here in WA. (More scared of spiders and snakes!!) Thunderstorms in the winter are pretty scarey though. Statistically, you're just as likely to suffer tornado damage living in the UK, which has the highest frequency of reported tornadoes per unit area in the world, thankfully not as violent as the ones in the USA though
http://www.stvincent.ac.uk/Resources...e/tornado.html
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:02 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]Originally posted by owieb

Might liven things up a bit around Perth a bit if there was another one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.