Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Experiences wanted re renting out house in UK

Experiences wanted re renting out house in UK

Old Nov 6th 2006, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Wilfulbadfaery has a brilliant futureWilfulbadfaery has a brilliant futureWilfulbadfaery has a brilliant futureWilfulbadfaery has a brilliant futureWilfulbadfaery has a brilliant futureWilfulbadfaery has a brilliant futureWilfulbadfaery has a brilliant future
Default Experiences wanted re renting out house in UK

Hello, I am sure this has probably been done before but I would like people who have already moved to Australia and have done this experiences.

My husband is wanting to rent out our current house when we move to Australia (we bought it off a "friend" cheap and its been a bit of a money pit and we don't think we are going to make any money as we have only been here 2 years and the price hasn't altered that much. long story ). Personally I would rather cut our losses and leave it, as I am worried that if the housing market slumps we might not be able to rent it out to cover the mortgage, and I don't want to be in the situation that we are having to send a large portion of cash back over every month.

Also I am committed to the move, and don't want to keep anything here as its a new start.
I am really just wondering if anyone who is already over there did rent out their old house and how it went.

Thanks a lot Wilf xxx
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:18 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experiences wanted re renting out house in UK

Originally Posted by Wilfulbadfaery
Hello, I am sure this has probably been done before but I would like people who have already moved to Australia and have done this experiences.

My husband is wanting to rent out our current house when we move to Australia (we bought it off a "friend" cheap and its been a bit of a money pit and we don't think we are going to make any money as we have only been here 2 years and the price hasn't altered that much. long story ). Personally I would rather cut our losses and leave it, as I am worried that if the housing market slumps we might not be able to rent it out to cover the mortgage, and I don't want to be in the situation that we are having to send a large portion of cash back over every month.

Also I am committed to the move, and don't want to keep anything here as its a new start.
I am really just wondering if anyone who is already over there did rent out their old house and how it went.

Thanks a lot Wilf xxx
hi,understand the dilema!!!me and my oh have had the same conversation, we live in an old house,but have done alot of work to it over the past 5 years of living here....,luckily for us we will have made some equity in our house to be able to make it more beneficial to us to sell rather than rent. the problem now with renting is the extra worry that the tenants look after the property and the expense when things go pop in the house...plus with all the regulations that are coming in....its best to sell and think to yourself you are going to aus to start a new life, yes it will be hard for the first year or two...but the benefit and reality of what you have achieved will be all worth it.........good luck with what you decided............. ( stuckin blightys other half)
Old Nov 7th 2006, 5:48 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experiences wanted re renting out house in UK

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
hi,understand the dilema!!!me and my oh have had the same conversation, we live in an old house,but have done alot of work to it over the past 5 years of living here....,luckily for us we will have made some equity in our house to be able to make it more beneficial to us to sell rather than rent. the problem now with renting is the extra worry that the tenants look after the property and the expense when things go pop in the house...plus with all the regulations that are coming in....its best to sell and think to yourself you are going to aus to start a new life, yes it will be hard for the first year or two...but the benefit and reality of what you have achieved will be all worth it.........good luck with what you decided............. ( stuckin blightys other half)
oi woman go and get your own username