Reload this Page >

Climate change sceptics

Climate change sceptics

Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:56 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Climate change sceptics

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1
They have gone very quiet. Maybe it's something to do with the terrible flooding and bush fires we have had recently.
In one of the countless other climate/global warming threads I posted this...

Is the world getting warmer.. probably.
Are 'we' to blame... debatable, but probably.
Can we do anything about it... probably.
Will we do anything about it... not a bloody hope.

I think we would be much better planning for its effects than trying to prevent them because I would be amazed if we, as a planet, can stop what is already in process.... especially with the economic growth of the BRIC nations.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't at least attempt to limit CO2 emissions, just that I think the process of warming is already underway and won't be stopped by any actions we take now.

Nothing has changed my opionion so far.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:24 am
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
In one of the countless other climate/global warming threads I posted this...

Is the world getting warmer.. probably.
Are 'we' to blame... debatable, but probably.
Can we do anything about it... probably.
Will we do anything about it... not a bloody hope.

I think we would be much better planning for its effects than trying to prevent them because I would be amazed if we, as a planet, can stop what is already in process.... especially with the economic growth of the BRIC nations.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't at least attempt to limit CO2 emissions, just that I think the process of warming is already underway and won't be stopped by any actions we take now.

Nothing has changed my opionion so far.
Pretty much agree with everything you have said.

To halt the process of global warming will take a complete shift in our society's ideals and ways of living. I don't think everyday people want to do this and that's why the climate change sceptic voice has got so strong. The easy option is to do nothing and hope it will go away. We can then live life as we always have done.

Of course some politicians/big businesses have seized the moment to jump on the sceptic bandwagon as they see cutting emissions as harming existing ways of doing business.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really? You had better inform all of the scientists studying the impacts of global warming and the increase of extreme weather that they are wasting their time.................
They are wasting their time and they know they are wasting their time. The only problem is that these days unless you prefix your grant application with "To study the effects of global warming on........." you won't get a grant and you'll be unemployed of teaching undergraduates (god forbid that).
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:33 am
ABCDiamond

I don't think anyone has ever argued climate change is 'entirely' man made. The debate is what impact human actions are having on the recent period of warming.
I don't think anyone has denied climate change either

Question is: what is a "Climate change sceptic" ? Someone who is sceptical about the cause of the changes ?

Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:37 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone prove it either way? I've yet to see any strong or consistent arguments either way. As evidenced by this thread.

I get the impression that floods and fires have been happening for a long time and they even predate industrialisation.

I also question that scientists have been studying climatology for thousands of years as science (as we now know it) hasn't been around for 1000s of years. I'll give you 750 at most.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:59 am
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

I also question that scientists have been studying climatology for thousands of years as science (as we now know it) hasn't been around for 1000s of years. I'll give you 750 at most.
History is obviously not your subject. Ancient Egyptians and Babylonians wrote about meteorological and climatological events. The ancient Greeks also wrote about colder and wetter periods in Europe (in the first millennium) than now.

I could find more references to ancient writings about climatology, but I would have to dig out my old text books.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

History is obviously not your subject. Ancient Egyptians and Babylonians wrote about meteorological and climatological events. The ancient Greeks also wrote about colder and wetter periods in Europe (in the first millennium) than now.

I could find more references to ancient writings about climatology, but I would have to dig out my old text books.
And that is studying is it? Rudd went to Kyoto to sign up a climate change deal and wrote a speech yet it is clear he knows FA about anything. Was he studying it then?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:48 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
And that is studying is it? Rudd went to Kyoto to sign up a climate change deal and wrote a speech yet it is clear he knows FA about anything. Was he studying it then?
Ah but he didn't have yer man Casual's text books to refer too
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Ah but he didn't have yer man Casual's text books to refer too
Maybe he had a few Babylonian tablets and a roll of papyrus.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:07 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Maybe he had a few Babylonian tablets and a roll of papyrus.
No that's the aussie health service.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:38 am
Account Closed

I think you missed my point. The Ancient Egyptians and Babylonians were not scientists. Philosophers maybe, recorders of weather from what you've just said, but not scientists. Maybe history's not your strong suit.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jan 12th 2011 at 8:43 am.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:54 pm
Banned

I think you missed my point. The Ancient Egyptians and Babylonians were not scientists. Philosophers maybe, recorders of weather from what you've just said, but not scientists. Maybe history's not your strong suit.
Wrong. Lots of ancient Greeks were scientists.

Last edited by CasualObserver1; Jan 12th 2011 at 7:59 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

Wrong. Lots of ancient Greeks were scientists.
Wrong. They were philosophers.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:18 pm
Banned

Wrong. They were philosophers.
Wrong again. Below are just a few ancient Greeks who study science.

Archimedes - mathematician, physicist, engineer, inventor, and astronomer
Aristarchus - astronomer and mathematician
Eratosthenes - mathematician, geographer and astronomer.
Eudoxus - astronomer, mathematician, scholar and student of Plato
Heraclides - astronomer who proposed that the earth rotates on its axis once a day and who may have believed that the sun was the centre of the solar system.
Herophilus - physician.
Hipparchus - astrologer, astronomer, geographer, and mathematician
Hippocrates - father of medicine.
Pythagoras - mathematician.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

They have gone very quiet. Maybe it's something to do with the terrible flooding and bush fires we have had recently.
I think everyone in the northern hemisphere might disagree with you while going through the coldest winter in 100 years.

What do bush fires and flooding have to do with climate change?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.