Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Climate change sceptics

Climate change sceptics

Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:17 pm
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Climate change sceptics

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Geologists....

'Natural disaster' (for want of a beter term) history is easy enough to study if you know what to look for.

Hence the relevant scientists know about things like devasting yellowstone supervolcanic activity thas only blown a handful of times in the last 2.1 million years. No human have observed an eruption directly - but the evidence is irrefutable.

I'm sure the same is true of major flood events (which leave significant deposits) - they can be measured restrospectively without anyone having observed them.

Having said that, I agree with your sentiment one reason the world seems so utterly f*&ked up at the moment is we all get to hear about every 'newsworthy' event - and now in glorious HD technicolour to make things as dramatic as possible.

(Office operating perfectly normally and everyone present here at work today in Brisbane.... no need for hystrical over-reactions!)
I remember studying carbon isotopes while doing my geology degree ! Fun times.

I agree though. The media does go over the top. Channel 9's coverage of the floods has been way over the top. I have found it sensationalist and, in some cases, insensitive/disrespectful to the people who have sadly lost their lives in QLD.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1
however, the increasing intensity/frequency of global events is a major concern.
This is a direct quote from the Seventh-day Adventist Church in their door to door spiel . (and about as accurate ):
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:24 pm
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mulben
This is a direct quote from the Seventh-day Adventist Church in their door to door spiel . (and about as accurate ):
Care to elaborate on this statement?

Could you provide evidence as to why what I have said is inaccurate?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Care to elaborate on this statement?

Could you provide evidence as to why what I have said is inaccurate?
increasing frequency and intensity of global events are not supported by any factual information it is just an opinion of what you think .

Floods and drought have always been around , the greater population density magnify s the problem , but is the problem any worse ?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:37 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you believe in climate change or not the single biggest detrimental effect humanity is bringing on the planet is caused by population growth.

More people = more food = more energy = more industrialization = more concrete...and so on.

Control population = control demand = stability.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:43 pm
Banned

increasing frequency and intensity of global events are not supported by any factual information it is just an opinion of what you think .

Floods and drought have always been around , the greater population density magnify s the problem , but is the problem any worse ?
Oh really? You had better inform all of the scientists studying the impacts of global warming and the increase of extreme weather that they are wasting their time. It's just my opinion after all.

So in your opinion the only factor that influences flooding and drought is population density? Interesting.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh really? You had better inform all of the scientists studying the impacts of global warming and the increase of extreme weather that they are wasting their time. It's just my opinion after all.

So in your opinion the only factor that influences flooding and drought is population density? Interesting.
no , I don,t agree with your off the cuff remarks , what I do agree with is that climate is dynamic , read a small bit of what Benjamin Franklin c1750 had to say about the Gulf Stream and its effect on European climate and what would happen in the case of warming in the Arctic - it makes interesting conclusions, which could be said is what is happening now.

the increase of extreme weather - I have yet to see any statistical evidence of this "fact "

The Australian BOM usually uses a 30 span to show changes , not a 10 year snip.

Last edited by mulben; Jan 11th 2011 at 11:53 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:59 pm
Banned

no , I don,t agree with your off the cuff remarks , what I do agree with is that climate is dynamic , read a small bit of what Benjamin Franklin c1750 had to say about the Gulf Stream and its effect on European climate and what would happen in the case of warming in the Arctic - it makes interesting conclusions, which could be said is what is happening now.
My off the cuff remarks? It was you that made disparaging comments comparing me to the Seventh-day Adventist church. I am prepared to forgive you though.

Also, nobody is arguing that the climate isn't dynamic. The whole point of the debate revolves around human affectation on climate change.

Last edited by CasualObserver1; Jan 12th 2011 at 12:01 am.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:02 am
Banned

the increase of extreme weather - I have yet to see any statistical evidence of this "fact "

The Australian BOM usually uses a 30 span to show changes , not a 10 year snip.
Google it. I respect your opinion to disagree with the evidence but you can't just say it doesn't exists as this is incorrect.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

My off the cuff remarks? It's was you that made disparaging comments comparing me to the Seventh-day Adventist church.

Also, no one is arguing that the climate isn't dynamic.
So we agree on something , all my comment is about is the use of the term "increasing frequency / intensity " - I will leave it at that , cheers.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:36 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone has ever argued climate change is 'entirely' man made. The debate is what impact human actions are having on the recent period of warming.
Agreed, except I don't think it works the other way. You'll struggle to find any climate change believers who say that it is ONLY down to man. However there are plenty of sceptics out there who will tell you that man doesn't contribute to global warming one bit and it is a consequence that we have no control over.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Agreed, except I don't think it works the other way. You'll struggle to find any climate change believers who say that it is ONLY down to man. However there are plenty of sceptics out there who will tell you that man doesn't contribute to global warming one bit and it is a consequence that we have no control over.
There are a lot of climate change sceptics that will tell you it's all a bit of a conspiracy theory. Maybe it appeals to a certain demographic.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
But whenever there is a disaster on theis scale they compare it to "The great flood of '74" And with the bushfires....compared to Black Friday in 1934 etc etc, its happened before....so is it global warming? cooling? Or mother nature being a big beatch?

Well before the Carbonites, Banjo Patterson had it summed up back in 1895

I love A Sunburnt Country

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded Lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens,
Is running in your veins;
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies -
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me.

The tragic ring-barked forests
Stark white beneath the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon.
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
An orchids deck the tree-tops
And ferns the crimson soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When sick at heart around us
We see the cattle die -
But then the grey clouds gather
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the Rainbow Gold,
For flood and fire and famine,
She pays us back threefold;
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land -
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand -
Though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown Country
My homing thoughts will fly.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Umm actually that would have been Dorothea McKellar would it not?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Umm actually that would have been Dorothea McKellar would it not?
Yes you are correct...

http://www.dorotheamackellar.com.au/.../mycountry.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.