Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

earthquakes,hurricanes and tornados

earthquakes,hurricanes and tornados

Old Sep 5th 2001, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

john_smith is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

Does australia suffer from any earthquakes,hurricanes or tornados or any other natural disaster infact

I am thankfull for any replys

John
Old Sep 6th 2001, 2:12 am
Hills

john_smith wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Floods, droughts, cyclones, bushfires - likelihood and impact of each depends on
where you are on the continent. LJ

Old Sep 6th 2001, 4:14 am
George O'Neill

john_smith <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
John, November/December in Queensland is storm time. On average there is a tropical
deluge accompanied by spectacular lightning once per week. I got stranded in Brisbane
due to a storm halting the railway. I saw hail stones the size of golf balls while it
was 30 degrees outside. A guy in my office had his car written off by the hail. I
also saw a palm tree fly past my second floor office window. Done see that in
Chippenham.

George

Old Sep 6th 2001, 12:37 pm
Recipe

I also saw a TV program about a nasty earthquake in Newcastle about 20? years ago. If
i remember right a few people died in that - including some in a train that got
crushed by a falling bridge. Is that the worst earthquake in Australian history ?...
it's certainly worse than any I've heard of in the UK.

Old Sep 6th 2001, 12:49 pm
Mark Deayton

recipe wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

The train under the bridge scenario was the Granville rail disaster in the mid 70's.
A train derailed, hit the bridge and many people died.

--
Mark Deayton [email protected] http://go.to/mark.deayton http://go.to/'65Mustang
(my band) ICQ# 314598

Old May 12th 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: earthquakes,hurricanes and tornados

Wow this guy was really worried, I wonder if he plucked up the courage to move to the dreaded australia.

Better watch out for salties his garden as well!!!!
Old May 12th 2005, 8:24 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by john_smith
hi

Does australia suffer from any earthquakes,hurricanes or tornados or any other natural disaster infact

I am thankfull for any replys

John
OZ has very few eathquakes as we are not on any bad faultlines , there are many more earthquakes in the USA. There was only one really deadly earthquate in 200 years of OZ's history at newcastle in 1989 around 6 killed.
Hurricanes and Tornados only happen is the far northern tropical parts of OZ where only a smalll part of the population lives. The most serious natural disater in OZ is bushfires and droughts not the ones you mentioned.

Last edited by wombat42; May 12th 2005 at 8:27 pm.

Old May 12th 2005, 8:38 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Wow this guy was really worried, I wonder if he plucked up the courage to move to the dreaded australia.

Better watch out for salties his garden as well!!!!
Speaking of salties in the garden , read this for a laugh.
http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...showtopic=8891

Last edited by aussie73; May 12th 2005 at 8:41 pm.

Old May 12th 2005, 9:02 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Recipe
I also saw a TV program about a nasty earthquake in Newcastle about 20? years ago. If
i remember right a few people died in that - including some in a train that got
crushed by a falling bridge. Is that the worst earthquake in Australian history ?...
it's certainly worse than any I've heard of in the UK.
The building that collapsed and killed people was the Newcastle Workers Club. Can't recall of hearing about any bridges collapsing in that though. I think that the bridge you are referring to was at Granville in Sydney, where a commuter train jumped the rails and struck an roadway overpass causing it to collapse. It was made into a mini-series in the mid-nineties called "Day Of The Roses". All of the crash-scene sequences were filmed in the bottom carpark of the Westfield Shoppintown at Toombul in Brisbane.

Last edited by The Bloke; May 12th 2005 at 9:05 pm.