Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Storm in NSW better than fireworks display

Storm in NSW better than fireworks display

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 7:50 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Storm in NSW better than fireworks display

This great planet we live in gives out some spectacular weather. I have seen tornados in ontario canada, near hurricane conditions in eastern canada, awful blizzards etc, but last night was the best (or worst) electrical storm I have ever seen.

It went on for hours and was full of constant lightning that turned out to be a better show than the sydney new years eve fireworks display !!!

Did anyone else see this ?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 7:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Storm in NSW better than fireworks display

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
This great planet we live in gives out some spectacular weather. I have seen tornados in ontario canada, near hurricane conditions in eastern canada, awful blizzards etc, but last night was the best (or worst) electrical storm I have ever seen.

It went on for hours and was full of constant lightning that turned out to be a better show than the sydney new years eve fireworks display !!!

I felt the rain on me when I walked back from getting dinner. Lightning all over the place until the wee hours. A friend was at the cricket so I wonder what state he got in.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:02 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Apparently those storms over Aussie are the reason that NASA and the Beagle lot can't get in contact with their little buggies up there on Mars.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Storm in NSW better than fireworks display

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath

Didnt see it, but I totally love the storms in OZ. But we are not getting them! I want the storms.

Seen some rippers, from total darkness at 2pm, to every colour sky from teal green to dark purple, mushroom shaped clouds, funnels coming up the street. Chunks of metal, glass and trees
flying round the street was not quite so good tho. But OZ does a phsyco storm like no other.

Get a pole home, or go to the top of a high rise and stand on the balcony for the best effects.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

I think the storm may have been localised. My daughter lives in the Newcastle area and their shop alarm went off twice.

If there was anything much in the north west of Sydney, I slept through it.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 2:46 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Banksia
I think the storm may have been localised. My daughter lives in the Newcastle area and their shop alarm went off twice.

If there was anything much in the north west of Sydney, I slept through it.
It came through Parramatta at about 21:00. It was great! Lightning bolts, followed by immediate thunder (so I knew the lightning was close!). Big, bugger-off drops of rain....

Love it!
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 2:51 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The most spectacular storm I ever witnessed was at sunset on the north side of the grand canyon. The whole combination of colours, darkness, light and lightening was spectacular.

Another amazing viewpoint for a storm is a high rise office in Sydney CBD. Watching the dark clouds black out the city and strike forks around the harbour is awe inspiring. Not something easy to plan but if you work in one get to the windows if a big one rolls in.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 4:57 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Sounds of Then (This is Australia)
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Megalania
Sounds of Then (This is Australia)
Hey meg for once I know what you are on about That song always reminds me of Queensland, the burning bushfires, storms all the rugged bits that you only understand living here. Ive got the tune in me 'ead now, but who the heck sung it.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dotty
Hey meg for once I know what you are on about That song always reminds me of Queensland, the burning bushfires, storms all the rugged bits that you only understand living here. Ive got the tune in me 'ead now, but who the heck sung it.
OMG I just reread the words! For the easily offended I am sure the Australian band that sung it were only joking about the heat, humidity, smells of cane fires etc

As for me I am more aussie than I thought, that song does make me nostalgic.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 5:19 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

GANGgajang
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

GANGgajang

Yeah just saw that bit. Ive not heard of them, but that song is used in an TV ad up here.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 5:27 am
Banned

Hear it Hear: Sounds of Then (This is Australia)
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 5:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hear it Hear: Sounds of Then (This is Australia)
I used to love this band. Someone nicked my copy of their album.