British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Australian Government Tsunami donations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/australian-government-tsunami-donations-274165/)

Trevglas Dec 30th 2004 7:26 am

Australian Government Tsunami donations

It is heartening to see the Australian government has now pledged $35 million to the tsunami relief efforts.

Australia has come in for a fair bit of criticism on this site by some people for being backward, so it is good to see this country being up front in donating to the international relief effort.

Compared with the $35 million US ($45.2 million AU) from the US, and the £15 million from the UK ($37.2 million AU), this is an impressive amount, particularly when viewed in per capita terms.

US donating $45.2 million AU population 295m = $0.15 per person
UK donating $37.2 million AU population 58.7m = $0.64 per person
AU donating $35 million AU population 19.3m = $1.81 per person

This is not counting the personal donations from individuals, so please dig deep and help those in such dire need

VanTheMan Dec 30th 2004 7:37 am

Re: Australian Government Tsunami donations

Yup,

I've seen it on ABC news a moment ago. Heard that they are going to cancel the fireworks display in the Sydney bridge to pay respect to the victim of the Tsunami disaster.

Rgds,
Van

Originally Posted by Trevglas
It is heartening to see the Australian government has now pledged $35 million to the tsunami relief efforts.

Australia has come in for a fair bit of criticism on this site by some people for being backward, so it is good to see this country being up front in donating to the international relief effort.

Compared with the $35 million US ($45.2 million AU) from the US, and the £15 million from the UK ($37.2 million AU), this is an impressive amount, particularly when viewed in per capita terms.

This is not counting the personal donations from individuals, so please dig deep and help those in such dire need

rudo1ph Dec 30th 2004 7:50 am

Are they? They said they were not going to, but they were going to use the occasion to collect money for the victims of the tusnami.

mlbonner Dec 30th 2004 7:55 am

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
Are they? They said they were not going to, but they were going to use the occasion to collect money for the victims of the tusnami.

Yep, I heard this as well. Townsville has been cancelled though I think. They're collecting in Brisbane too.

It is good to see Australia donating so much, I daresay this has something to do with the locality of the Australia to the Tsunami regions though. If it were Spain/Africa etc (possible, apparently due to the volcanoes on the Canary Islands) perhaps the donation wouldn't be as high..... just a thought?

Scossie Dec 30th 2004 8:02 am

Yup...

Good to see the Oz Government reacting so well.

We had a small lottery win on the Christmas Lotto, & we've sent the lot off to one of the relief agencies. We weren't expecting the money, & reckon it'll be put to far better use helping the relief effort than us spending it in the pub etc.

Cheers... John.....

walaj Dec 30th 2004 8:39 am

On the news in the UK the first place that I recalled being mentioned for sending aid was a plane from Australia - maybe that it is a closer country, but it does seem that Australia are quicker off the mark when it comes to assisting another countrys' disasters.

Blair only got round to making a comment late yesterday - too busy holidaying :rolleyes: and the £15m is suppose to be the start rather than complete amount. Considering it is time that is against so many of the survivors the donations are needed now, and agree the USA amount seems incredibly small when the death toll (so far) is roughly equivalent to that of 30 twin towers attacks.

Also the Australian cricket team and board have donated AUS$34k, wonder if the England team will do the same when their match concludes today?

Larissa Dec 30th 2004 9:17 am

Originally Posted by mlbonner
If it were Spain/Africa etc (possible, apparently due to the volcanoes on the Canary Islands) perhaps the donation wouldn't be as high..... just a thought?

I think you're right.
I would also add that the fact that it happened on the other side of the Indian Ocean, makes it even more horrifying to us and also makes us realise that it could happen here. We are "linked".

It's heartening to see Australia helping in this way, it should, considering it is the much richer and unaffected (in real terms) neighbour.
I'd have thought that 35 million is just a drop in the ocean though and that the US contribution will be nothing in relation to the amount it spends on arms etc.

diddy Dec 30th 2004 9:24 am

Good on Australia.

I work for Norwich Union. They have alot of employee's in Sri Lanka. Fortunately they're all safe and well, as are thier families.

It's my first day back today and I was all geared up to harass the top bosses to send aid out there. But fair play to them, they've donated £160k so far.

However, I still feel that this is a pretty small amount from operating profit of £1.8bn last year. It's incredible how companies/ countries can find millions to pay director bonuses, first class air travel, for wars ect, yet we're all supposed to say how great it is when they donate this relatively small amounts of cash.

Paul.

lynnlovessun Dec 30th 2004 11:43 am

Yeah i'm still living in UK - was dissapointed that britain only donated 15 million pounds so far. Just seen a news flash on Sky news saying that the british public have donated 20 million pounds following the appeals on TV (more than the government did!). I phoned up the 0870 60 60 900 number last night and donated 50 pound. Was going to have a meal out in the new year but thought we would donate instead even if it helps one family with shelter. Please everybody dig deep and give something no matter how small. We would all like to think that other countries would help if we were in need?

Lynn

Hels Dec 30th 2004 1:00 pm

One of the nicest stories I have seen about this disaster was an Australian couple who was holidaying when the Tsunami hit and instead of rushing home right after, they are staying and have spent thousands of their own money in buying medicine from pharmacies as the relief groups didnt have any money. They are staying there to help for as long as they possibly can.

Now that is awesome, in my books and they should get all the recognition they deserve....

Trevglas Dec 30th 2004 1:13 pm

Similarly, A Current Affair tonight carried a story of a woman who survived the events in Phuket, but felt guilty about leaving, she is now helping staff the Red Cross call centre.

Also, Sky News just announced the 20 UK Premier League clubs are donating 1 million pounds.

diddy Dec 30th 2004 1:34 pm

Also, Sky News just announced the 20 UK Premier League clubs are donating 1 million pounds.

Call me a cynic, but that's probably the value of Wayne Rooney's little toe.

Paul.

Trevglas Dec 30th 2004 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by diddy
Call me a cynic, but that's probably the value of Wayne Rooney's little toe.

Paul.

The real cynical thing I heard tonight was the US gvt donation (now up to $45m US) is the same as what they spend in 5 hours in Iraq

Jensen Healey Dec 30th 2004 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Hels
One of the nicest stories I have seen about this disaster was an Australian couple who was holidaying when the Tsunami hit and instead of rushing home right after, they are staying and have spent thousands of their own money in buying medicine from pharmacies as the relief groups didnt have any money. They are staying there to help for as long as they possibly can.

Now that is awesome, in my books and they should get all the recognition they deserve....

Interesting. Who owns the pharmacies in those countries, and why are they charging foreigners to supply medicines to their own countryfolk...

Hels Dec 30th 2004 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
Interesting. Who owns the pharmacies in those countries, and why are they charging foreigners to supply medicines to their own countryfolk...

Interesting point that wasnt clarified in the coverage I saw.....