Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Arsonist Suspect - Oh my god!

Arsonist Suspect - Oh my god!

Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:22 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arsonist Suspect - Oh my god!

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Intent to commit a dangerous felony (the "felony-murder" doctrine). [/I]
Wikipedia's a bit too American in this section to be useful as felony/misdemeanour doesn't really exist in Oz (NSW says "All distinctions between felony and misdemeanour are abolished"), although IIRC an arsonist in California was recently convicted of murder of firies.

Crimes Act 1900 (NSW) sez:

(a) Murder shall be taken to have been committed where the act of the accused, or thing by him or her omitted to be done, causing the death charged, was done or omitted with reckless indifference to human life, or with intent to kill or inflict grievous bodily harm upon some person, or done in an attempt to commit, or during or immediately after the commission, by the accused, or some accomplice with him or her, of a crime punishable by imprisonment for life or for 25 years.

(b) Every other punishable homicide shall be taken to be manslaughter.
All NSW legislation is online here: http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/sc...40%22&nohits=y

Davy is unfortunately talking complete pish when he says: "There can be a case proven in common law, not statute law in most countries that if your actions are deemed to be murderous by reasonable person/persons/peers that you can be tried for murder". Apart from anything else, it's bass-ackwards gibberish: the trial itself is where it is decided whether an action constitutes murder. Saying that "most countries" can "deem your actions murderous" and then try you for just shows you don't understand the basics of the process.

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Apr 20th 2009 at 2:40 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
In my opinion, I think the SES spend windy days pushing trees over onto people's drives

I agree, it happens all the time along with blocking peoples gutters with leaves so that their house floods when it pours down
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Well as for complete pish I think you should look up the difference between common law and statute law.
As I see you've quoted statute law, crimes act 1900 [NSW]. Also I said most countries refering not specifically to Australia as I know basically nothing about Australian law.
Thanks for your constructive comments though you obviously put some thought into it. Pity you just didn't look up the right thing.
Davy