Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Arsonist Suspect - Oh my god!

Arsonist Suspect - Oh my god!

Old Apr 18th 2009, 2:06 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Arsonist Suspect - Oh my god!

I have just seen on the news that a volunteer firefighter is the 'number one arsonist suspect' for starting one of the fires in Victoria.

Has anyone else read anything about this?

It beggars belief that a vol. firefighter could do that.

Whoever did it should be tried for murder.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 2:38 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all
Default Re: Arsonist Suspect - Oh my god!

I take it you don't watch Neighbours then! Apparently lots of fires are started by voluntary firefighters who enjoy the buzz that they then get from fighting them. Personally I wouldn't pee on these &%**£$* if they were on fire (unless I thought it was going to spread).
kjj
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:40 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjj
I take it you don't watch Neighbours then! Apparently lots of fires are started by voluntary firefighters who enjoy the buzz that they then get from fighting them. Personally I wouldn't pee on these &%**£$* if they were on fire (unless I thought it was going to spread).
kjj
Im sure if my memory serves me correctly, it was suggested on one of the threads on here that voluntary fire fighters have been caught doing this before and there were quite a few people who were angry and disputing this and I must admit, the thought disturbed me as well.

A guy who worked in Adelaide firestation told me a few years ago that it isnt as rare as you would think.

But it is still hard to believe and they should be charged with murder (mass in this case).

If this is true, what kind of stringent checks can be carried out on future applicants?

I dont know and thats for sure.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

That's a b*gger because it puts all volunteer fire fighters under the magnifying glass and gives the service a bad name. Unfortunately it is true though that volunteers have been found to be firebugs in the past. In fact Rudd (I think) made some comment really early on about the need for vetting and monitoring RFS volunteers which was inappropriate at the time because they were still in the middle of fighting it all.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Arsonist Suspect - Oh my god!

Sadly, this is not uncommon. Deviants are drawn to occupations which provide opportunities to indulge their deviance.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Sadly, this is not uncommon. Deviants are drawn to occupations which provide opportunities to indulge their deviance.
How on earth can these people be vetted prior to taking them on?
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
How can you weed them out like that though?
Fighting the Fascination of Fire is a major project within the Queensland Fire Service, they try to work with children and teach them the dangers of fire, but there really is no way of identifying who is likely to start fires - large or small. It is a big problem, not just in Australia, rogue firefighters who have this fascination, but its not something that is easily detectable. Even psychological profiling doesn't uncover everyone's deepest desires and thoughts, and while it can weed some out it will never be 100% reliable.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 18th 2009 at 3:55 pm. Reason: Putting the link in
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
How can you weed them out like that though?
Fighting the Fascination of Fire is a major project within the Queensland Fire Service, they try to work with children and teach them the dangers of fire, but there really is no way of identifying who is likely to start fires - large or small. It is a big problem, not just in Australia, rogue firefighters who have this fascination, but its not something that is easily detectable. Even psychological profiling doesn't uncover everyone's deepest desires and thoughts, and while it can weed some out it will never be 100% reliable.
God knows how you can weed them out but its a scary thought that there are people like that.

Whatever their mental state though, they killed alot of people in this one and should never walk free again.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Would it not be manslaughter - cannot be murder as their intention was not to kill but to start a fire - a very different point?
Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure if my memory serves me correctly, it was suggested on one of the threads on here that voluntary fire fighters have been caught doing this before and there were quite a few people who were angry and disputing this and I must admit, the thought disturbed me as well.

A guy who worked in Adelaide firestation told me a few years ago that it isnt as rare as you would think.

But it is still hard to believe and they should be charged with murder (mass in this case).

If this is true, what kind of stringent checks can be carried out on future applicants?

I dont know and thats for sure.

60 minutes did a story on one such person, he served a very brief spell in jail, then popped up in WA doing guess what? Clue, bush, matches........
Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:42 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The only realistic partial solution is to have them work in pairs at all times, and rotate the pairs, in the hope that being watched by at least once person would stop them doing it "on duty." Rotating the pairs would mean that two of them have less chance of getting buddy-buddy and cooperating in starting a fire.

That still would not stop them from starting a fire off-duty.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The anger was because it was suggested that all (or most) vols are arsonists not that a vol can be an arsonist. But don't let that misunderstanding ruin a good rant.

Some police are murders.
Some doctors are murderers.
Some teachers are paedophiles.
Some parents abuse their children.
etc...

Why does it come as such a surprise that some firees are arsonists?

Last edited by MartinLuther; Apr 19th 2009 at 12:02 am.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:00 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The only realistic partial solution is to have them work in pairs at all times, and rotate the pairs, in the hope that being watched by at least once person would stop them doing it "on duty." Rotating the pairs would mean that two of them have less chance of getting buddy-buddy and cooperating in starting a fire.

That still would not stop them from starting a fire off-duty.
It all happens off duty. You don't work on you own at a firefight.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The anger was because it was suggested that all (or most) vols are arsonists not that a vol can be an arsonist. But don't let that misunderstanding ruin a good rant.

Some police are murders.
Some doctors are murderers.
Some teachers are paedophiles.
Some parents abuse their children.
etc...

Why does it come as such a surprise that some firees are arsonists?
In fact, no surprise at all!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by slipshot
Would it not be manslaughter - cannot be murder as their intention was not to kill but to start a fire - a very different point?

You know their intention was not to cause loss of life then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.