Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How to cure a phobia?

How to cure a phobia?

Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:55 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to cure a phobia?

Hi

Didn't want to hijack the other thread about hypnosis, but just wondered if anyone had successfully 'cured' a phobia and how it was done?

I have a phobia of snakes, which has got worse as I have got older (I'm sure OH will be on later to take the pee ), and I really don't want it to mar our experience of living in Aus (if we get there).

I am not interested in being able to touch them, but it would be nice to be able to look at least look at a picture without flinching and turning the page and to know that if I happened to see one in reality, I wouldn't be left a gibbering wreck

Luckily, the LOs haven't picked up on my phobia. If anything, they seem to delight in taking the mick (not learned from their father of course)

So, over to you
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:13 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to cure a phobia?

Originally Posted by rasen78
Hi

Didn't want to hijack the other thread about hypnosis, but just wondered if anyone had successfully 'cured' a phobia and how it was done?

I have a phobia of snakes, which has got worse as I have got older (I'm sure OH will be on later to take the pee ), and I really don't want it to mar our experience of living in Aus (if we get there).

I am not interested in being able to touch them, but it would be nice to be able to look at least look at a picture without flinching and turning the page and to know that if I happened to see one in reality, I wouldn't be left a gibbering wreck

Luckily, the LOs haven't picked up on my phobia. If anything, they seem to delight in taking the mick (not learned from their father of course)

So, over to you
I didnt have a phobia as such but having snakes occasionally come into our facility at work, i realised that fear does not protect in this situation so I did a snake catching course, which covered the psychology of fear and how to deal with it.

Might be worth visiting a reptile centre to see if acquiring a bit of knowledge on the species might rationalise how you are feeling. Just a thought
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to cure a phobia?

What you describe as a phobia .... Cringing. And turning the page isnt really a phobia, yet... Does you heart race? Are you unable to physically move coz you think its going to jump out at you? are you unable to go about your usual daily activities becuase you're thinking abount them constantly... DOES THE THOUGHT OF SNAKES STOP YOU LIVING YOUR LIFE??????

Snakes kill... Its healthy to have that reaction to them... If you we 'naturally curious'.... You might get bitten...