Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

90 lightning strikes a minute !

90 lightning strikes a minute !

Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:55 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 90 lightning strikes a minute !

What's up with the weather in SE QLD at the moment ?
http://news.theage.com.au/national/s...1230-76yr.html

That's 7 storms in seven weeks now !
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:41 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 90 lightning strikes a minute !

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy

It all seems perfectly normal for Qld, we usually have storms in the afternoon or evening during the Summer.
First year we were here it pissed with rain/stormed every afternoon just as we had to walk up the road to meet our son from school
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

A local over the road told me that the storms have been pretty tame so far up here..

Em x
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:07 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
It all seems perfectly normal for Qld, we usually have storms in the afternoon or evening during the Summer.
First year we were here it pissed with rain/stormed every afternoon just as we had to walk up the road to meet our son from school
Wish there was some way to funnel some of that lovely rain down to Victoria....
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy

If you've only had 7 you're doing well. First summer I was here we had a storm a night for about three months.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:33 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
A local over the road told me that the storms have been pretty tame so far up here..

Em x
They're probably right, we've not had any big problems up there yet, been more the Gold Coast and parts of Brisbane that've copped it so far.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Em x
Well, no, I have to disagree, cos everytime there is a storm, like in the Gap for example, they say on the news that its the worst storm in 20 years. And then you get locals saying, this is nothing. What!!! Hundreds of people left homeless, don't talk crap, unless you are referring to 1974, these are the storms, stop trying to talk up previous storms, they weren't this bad.

Don't try and say these are nothing.

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Dec 31st 2008 at 2:59 am.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:48 am
Home and Happy

Look at where Ems is though - she is living rural, up on the Sunshine Coast. That area so far has come off very lightly.
People in places like that are more accustomed to serious storms, and are more prepared to cope. Some of the storms in towns out west recently have had Ministers and Directors jumping up and down wanting to know whats happening - but nthe reports coming in from the west are along thelines of "its just another storm, we're fine, we're looking after each other"

When a storm hits Baralaba or Aramac or Goondiwindi or Blackwater a large part of the Qld population shrug their shoulders and say "thats out west, so what if the hospital lost its roof and every window in the town got broken by hail".As soon as a storm hits Brisbane its headlines for days, partly becazuse of the $$$$ involved. More properties are insured in urban areas and for greater amounts.

We've had nothing on 1974 levels yet thank God - though the rain that flooded the ICB in mid November would've taken us that way had the intensity lasted longer.
The Gap was very bad, but then look at Cyclone Larry - far larger area devastated, but as The Gap is in Brisbane it gets bigger media focus. Mackay and Emerald earlier this year were devastated by floods but with much less media attention because they are not the capital, not the media and Premier's focus. I have friends in the Gap and I would never belittle what they went through - but for people in many rural communities that kind of thing is what they prepare for, year after year. They are the ones that hold their breath when storm warnings come out, and they are the ones with the emergency kits packed and organised and ready to go.

Locals in Brisbane will shout the words "natural disaster" a lot quicker than locals in rural areas - which is where I think Em is.
Cresta will probably see what I'm getting at here too - in his isolated community they are a lot more self sufficient than us in our urban lair. They are a lot more prepared for the unthinkable, and so they are more aware of the potential of nature.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well, no, I have to disagree, cos everytime there is a storm, like in the Gap for example, they say on the news that its the worst storm in 20 years. And then you get locals saying, this is nothing. What!!! Hundreds of people left homeless, don't talk crap, unless you are referring to 1974, these are the storms, stop trying to talk up previous storms, they weren't this bad.

Don't try and say these are nothing.

JTL
We havent had much apparently compared to the rest of QLD so I have been told... we have been quite fortunate so far...

Em x
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Look at where Ems is though - she is living rural, up on the Sunshine Coast. That area so far has come off very lightly.
People in places like that are more accustomed to serious storms, and are more prepared to cope. Some of the storms in towns out west recently have had Ministers and Directors jumping up and down wanting to know whats happening - but nthe reports coming in from the west are along thelines of "its just another storm, we're fine, we're looking after each other"

When a storm hits Baralaba or Aramac or Goondiwindi or Blackwater a large part of the Qld population shrug their shoulders and say "thats out west, so what if the hospital lost its roof and every window in the town got broken by hail".As soon as a storm hits Brisbane its headlines for days, partly becazuse of the $$$$ involved. More properties are insured in urban areas and for greater amounts.

We've had nothing on 1974 levels yet thank God - though the rain that flooded the ICB in mid November would've taken us that way had the intensity lasted longer.
The Gap was very bad, but then look at Cyclone Larry - far larger area devastated, but as The Gap is in Brisbane it gets bigger media focus. Mackay and Emerald earlier this year were devastated by floods but with much less media attention because they are not the capital, not the media and Premier's focus. I have friends in the Gap and I would never belittle what they went through - but for people in many rural communities that kind of thing is what they prepare for, year after year. They are the ones that hold their breath when storm warnings come out, and they are the ones with the emergency kits packed and organised and ready to go.

Locals in Brisbane will shout the words "natural disaster" a lot quicker than locals in rural areas - which is where I think Em is.
Cresta will probably see what I'm getting at here too - in his isolated community they are a lot more self sufficient than us in our urban lair. They are a lot more prepared for the unthinkable, and so they are more aware of the potential of nature.
The locals were saying just the other day that we were fortunate to have missed a lot.. and that when it does come here it is bloody frightening.. and that from a man who is in is late 40's and about 6 foot !

Em x
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:22 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

The locals were saying just the other day that we were fortunate to have missed a lot.. and that when it does come here it is bloody frightening.. and that from a man who is in is late 40's and about 6 foot !

Em x
Yep it does seem to go in phases, last year we copped a flogging almost every storm yet down in Brisbane they seemed to escape the worst. Swings & roundabouts, when we get a bad one come through you'll realise just what your neighbor means.
Last really bad one up this way was August 07, it took me half a day with a chainsaw to cut my way out of our street. From Noosa to Gympie was just a mass of fallen trees.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 12:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yep it does seem to go in phases, last year we copped a flogging almost every storm yet down in Brisbane they seemed to escape the worst. Swings & roundabouts, when we get a bad one come through you'll realise just what your neighbor means.
Last really bad one up this way was August 07, it took me half a day with a chainsaw to cut my way out of our street. From Noosa to Gympie was just a mass of fallen trees.

Bloody hell... suppose I ought to get our trees cut back.. was thinking the other day that they have sprouted up really fast this spring/summer..

Em x
Old Jan 1st 2009, 6:45 am
Home and Happy

Bloody hell... suppose I ought to get our trees cut back.. was thinking the other day that they have sprouted up really fast this spring/summer..

Em x
Keep your wits about you, there's a few cells up the Sunshine Coast/Gympie/Kingaroy way.They are growing, may contain damaging wind and large hailstones.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 7:04 am
Home and Happy

Keep your wits about you, there's a few cells up the Sunshine Coast/Gympie/Kingaroy way.They are growing, may contain damaging wind and large hailstones.
Cells now growing around north Brisbane. Bureau advise that they may contain hail and are developing fast throughout north Bris, Sunshine Coast and up to Rocky.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 4:02 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Cells now growing around north Brisbane. Bureau advise that they may contain hail and are developing fast throughout north Bris, Sunshine Coast and up to Rocky.
Was just a baby one with pitiful flashes but more cloud around today but not sure if it will amount to anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.