British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   7.5 Earthquake in PNG (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/7-5-earthquake-png-857600/)

GarryP May 5th 2015 2:22 am

7.5 Earthquake in PNG

A sizable earthquake hit PNG 34 mins ago, though out to the islands in the Solomon Sea. Tsunami warning doesn't reach as far as Australia.

Magnitude-7.5 earthquake hits off the coast of Papua New Guinea - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Pollyana May 5th 2015 4:34 am

Re: 7.5 Earthquake in PNG

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 11637022)
A sizable earthquake hit PNG 34 mins ago, though out to the islands in the Solomon Sea. Tsunami warning doesn't reach as far as Australia.

Magnitude-7.5 earthquake hits off the coast of Papua New Guinea - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Pretty big, even for there. We've had a few large ones in the last couple of weeks but no tsunami threat to Aus from them .....:fingerscrossed: it continues.

GarryP May 5th 2015 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11637059)
Pretty big, even for there. We've had a few large ones in the last couple of weeks but no tsunami threat to Aus from them .....:fingerscrossed: it continues.

It was actually a sequence of them, all roughly the same size, travelling north up the fault and onto land.

And then there was an NZ quake at mag 6 on the 4th.

Looks like the film "2012" was just three years too early, and Los Angeles will slide into the sea ;)

Pollyana May 6th 2015 10:21 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 11637856)
It was actually a sequence of them, all roughly the same size, travelling north up the fault and onto land.

And then there was an NZ quake at mag 6 on the 4th.

Looks like the film "2012" was just three years too early, and Los Angeles will slide into the sea ;)

Its quite fascinating looking at maps with them all plotted isn't it? We see quakes around PNG and Fiji and the Solomons etc so often that I wonder how the locals feel - do they really just take them in their stride? I'm almost ashamed to say our usual reaction at work is just an "od bother, how long till we get the Tsunami No Threat To Aus report, and why do so many quakes happen on a shift handover!".
interesting to plot the tsunami possibilities too - we got a No Threat after a sizable quake of British Columbia a few days ago,mhad to explain to a new guy that although its a long way away the waves move in such a way that if it did generate a tsunami we would get it in some form. I still remember the night watching the waves cross the ocean after the quake off South America a few years back which DID generate a warning- at one point it looked like inundating much of the Gold Coast.