Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

$1000 Yasi payment!!!

$1000 Yasi payment!!!

Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default $1000 Yasi payment!!!

Hi was surprised not to be able to find a thread on this matter, so if there is one can the mods mix them together with their magic please (i did do a search i promise)

right we live in Cairns, were without power for over 3 days, had to evacuate, but ended up working for 3 days solid (so no loss of income)but plenty of lost sleep

I have to say i am pretty gobsmacked that this is being offered to every person living at every dwelling that meets the criteria. Talk about open duck season for fraudsters,

My questions are does anyone know if you are not a citizen can you still claim?:

confused: I hear you, the only reason i want to claim is so i can buy supplies for the people down in Tully and in surrounding areas and take them down there, will not donate to the disaster fund as i think it takes them to long to sort out and who really knows where all the money goes, have heard many stories on how people who are still waiting from when Larry hit!!!!

What do others think?

Is it right of the Government to offer this or is it a vote sweetner? wouldn't it be better not just to give it away to any Tom Dick or Harriet, but for people who really have been in hardship over Yasi to get a decent amount to replace what they have lost in many cases everything they owned, and things that can never be replaced!!!!

Thank you
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: $1000 Yasi payment!!!

Originally Posted by pink13
My questions are does anyone know if you are not a citizen can you still claim?:
I believe you can claim if you have PR, you don't have to be a citizen.

BB
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:28 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $1000 Yasi payment!!!

Ive moved this to the forum for floods, tsunami, cyclone alerts and info as im sure someone in there can help
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I believe you can claim if you have PR, you don't have to be a citizen.

BB
Thanks BB and this is where i get confused again because i am on a 309 spouse visa that although temp for two years, in many area's its classed as PR!!! not sure why or who decides this but it is what i am finding.

I.E if we so pleased we could claim Australia's version of F.T.C because we are low earners but don't want to as claiming in the UK was a pain in the ass and can't imagine it being any different here and they want to know everything but your Bra and Knickers size
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:03 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say i am pretty gobsmacked that this is being offered to every person living at every dwelling that meets the criteria. Talk about open duck season for fraudsters.
But they are not fraudsters if they meet the criteria.
Government set the criteria, not the people claiming.

Is it right of the Government to offer this or is it a vote sweetner?

I think that is the issue.....whether the criteria is set at reasonable levels.

My questions are does anyone know if you are not a citizen can you still claim?
Buzzy is correct. You do not need to be a citizen but have to be a permanent resident.

wouldn't it be better not just to give it away to any Tom Dick or Harriet, but for people who really have been in hardship over Yasi to get a decent amount to replace what they have lost in many cases everything they owned, and things that can never be replaced!!!!
Whether it be cyclone, fire, flood or any other disaster or event I think and hope this will lead to an in depth investigation on the merit and use of insurance.
I'm not just referring to the malarky of policy small print interpretation but also the other side of the coin where people do not insure yet expect the populace to bail them out. Who's the mug in all this?

BTW what have Tom, Dick and Harriet done to you that you feel it necessary to single them out?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pink13
Thanks BB and this is where i get confused again because i am on a 309 spouse visa that although temp for two years, in many area's its classed as PR!!! not sure why or who decides this but it is what i am finding.

I.E if we so pleased we could claim Australia's version of F.T.C because we are low earners but don't want to as claiming in the UK was a pain in the ass and can't imagine it being any different here and they want to know everything but your Bra and Knickers size
I suspect you won't be able to claim as you are only a temp resident at present, but try approaching centrelink and see what they say

(and yes, there are another couple of threads on the subject )
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

OzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I suspect you won't be able to claim as you are only a temp resident at present, but try approaching centrelink and see what they say

(and yes, there are another couple of threads on the subject )
It is PR or citizen only. We have been told that we can claim for all our residents in our nursing home.

The good thing is a lot of our relatives have donated the money to us to enable us to get a generator and make life better for their families!