we're going to brunei

Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: we're going to brunei

For hobby shops I mean RC models etc. and yes ATMs.
Last thing I want are food markets, I need to lose about 10Kgs.
I used to love Shim Shui Po flea market in Kowloon and the Seoul markets in Korea. Here I go regularly to those around Torremolinos/Fuengirola.
I guess I'll have to find something else to do. Btw Is it windy ?
M
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

khlmok is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm afraid I don't know about models....
There are ATM machines. I banked with HSBC and there are less ATMs than the 'local' bank but it's not a problem. To loose your 10kgs, walk the jungle! Brunei is great for that and it's very popular amongst locals and foreigners. Windy? No la..... I wish there was more wind. It's very hot there.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

So it all went pear shaped, Visa was refused on grounds of age 65.............
Good luck to all.
M
Old Feb 10th 2015, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

magickitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: we're going to brunei

This was a very helpful thread to find! I'm moving with my husband and 2 year old and new baby to Brunei in May. Husband's employer is being very helpful but it certainly is hard to find practical info.

How are the previous posters finding life in Brunei? I'm pleased to hear that it's a good place for young families. My 2 year old boy will be attending nursery at JIS (need to get that sorted out, actually....!).
Old Apr 6th 2015, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

Hi All
We are moving to Brunei very soon. Hubby is working as a contractor for BSP, and has been since the beginning of December. I have had my head in the sand somewhat, as its been move, don't move, contract secure, not secure etc. But the terms and conditions have been agreed now (I hope). OH has secured a house in the Pandan 5 area and I am in the process of sorting our home to rent and getting a dog and 2 cats ready to fly over. I haven't been before (have been to Miri for trips) and very apprehensive. I gather I cant work there, but cant find much on any volunteer positions? Any advice on living in Brunei would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2016, 4:14 am
Just Joined

lostandalive is an unknown quantity at this point

Life is Brunei can be very peaceful and if you make the effort enjoyable. Do not expect anything to just fall into your lap, you have to make an effort to find things. I miss the conveniences of 24 hr food, buying everything with a card online and basically being lazy. It won't cut it here, walk and talk and use the different groups to meet people.

Most ex-pats are friendly enough to get you in the right direction and the Bruneian's are nice people however there is still a bit of a language barrier. Also expect to be charged more when buying goods (not groceries) unless you take a local with you to haggle. The alternative to that is goto Miri and get 5x the range and a much better price. Singapore and Brunei currency is tied and it keeps furniture, electrical goods, etc quite pricy.

I am currently in Bandar after spending a year on rotation working in and around the KB/Seria area. Now I am here residentially, can anyone help me discover these jungle walks and places to go? Looking to have some friends visit and they love the outdoors, so would like to take them places to wander around and explore.

Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2016, 10:50 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Good first post. Welcome to the forum
Old Jan 7th 2016, 11:08 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lostandalive
Life is Brunei can be very peaceful and if you make the effort enjoyable. Do not expect anything to just fall into your lap, you have to make an effort to find things. I miss the conveniences of 24 hr food, buying everything with a card online and basically being lazy. It won't cut it here, walk and talk and use the different groups to meet people.

Most ex-pats are friendly enough to get you in the right direction and the Bruneian's are nice people however there is still a bit of a language barrier. Also expect to be charged more when buying goods (not groceries) unless you take a local with you to haggle. The alternative to that is goto Miri and get 5x the range and a much better price. Singapore and Brunei currency is tied and it keeps furniture, electrical goods, etc quite pricy.

I am currently in Bandar after spending a year on rotation working in and around the KB/Seria area. Now I am here residentially, can anyone help me discover these jungle walks and places to go? Looking to have some friends visit and they love the outdoors, so would like to take them places to wander around and explore.

Thanks
Temburong