Reload this Page >

Non-ESL Employment Questions

Non-ESL Employment Questions

Old Jul 5th 2016, 9:43 am
Just Joined

TheFlyingHalfDutchman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non-ESL Employment Questions

Hi everyone

I’m totally new to the forum and enjoying looking the threads. There’s an incredible wealth of information here!

I was lucky enough to live in S.E Asia (Hanoi, Vietnam) where I taught English for 18 months as part of a sabbatical from the Metropolitan Police Service where I’m currently employed in central London as a Detective. However, due to a multitude of factors (think YOLO, austerity cuts, being only 33, and of course Brexit ) I’m looking to head away permanently to Asia, along with my wonderful fiancée :-) This will likely be early 2017.

My simple question is, other than teaching English (ESL), what employment prospects are there for Westerners with companies? I’ve looked at and been in contact with the limited number of recruitment firms operating in bases such as Singapore, KL and HCMC and they have been seemingly useless. Is it mostly a case of getting ‘boots on the ground’ and networking directly?

Any thoughts/help appreciated!

Best,

Paul
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:56 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non-ESL Employment Questions

Originally Posted by TheFlyingHalfDutchman
Hi everyone

I’m totally new to the forum and enjoying looking the threads. There’s an incredible wealth of information here!

I was lucky enough to live in S.E Asia (Hanoi, Vietnam) where I taught English for 18 months as part of a sabbatical from the Metropolitan Police Service where I’m currently employed in central London as a Detective. However, due to a multitude of factors (think YOLO, austerity cuts, being only 33, and of course Brexit ) I’m looking to head away permanently to Asia, along with my wonderful fiancée :-) This will likely be early 2017.

My simple question is, other than teaching English (ESL), what employment prospects are there for Westerners with companies? I’ve looked at and been in contact with the limited number of recruitment firms operating in bases such as Singapore, KL and HCMC and they have been seemingly useless. Is it mostly a case of getting ‘boots on the ground’ and networking directly?

Any thoughts/help appreciated!

Best,

Paul
Canada and Australia need police.

What skills do you have, that would be special (and therefore need an expat)?