Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Very old UK Pension Contributions

Very old UK Pension Contributions

Old Nov 24th 2017, 3:31 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very old UK Pension Contributions

Pulaski, thank you, as brilliant a reply as ever!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The relevant retirement age is that at which you can draw your British state pension.
T'was exactly my point. Without taking into account of one's domiciled country's view on what is retirement age... I presume that's still 65 for male Brits?

My retirement age here is arguably variable, hence the question, I'm still trying to get the definitive answer from the CH authorities.

In theory it is 65 in CH, but as I *could* take an early Federal pension (with a reduced benefit, obviously) at age 63, I was wondering if that would propagate to other EU/EEC member states. I somehow doubt it.

...Well it should be one phone call, maybe 10-15 minutes, and if you use Skype or an other VoIP calling service it shouldn't cost more than 50p, tops, then one form to be mailed back, so one international stamp. Then you make a payment each year, so whatever that costs.
Admittedly I was having a pop there.

On the benefit side, at the moment he faces get nothing by way of a UK pension, but if he pays seven years of contributions in a lump, he will have a total of 12 years contributions, (maybe more if he has some deemed years), and so should be eligible for 12/36 × roughly £150/wk (the maximum pension amount), so about £50 every week for the rest of his life. It sounds to me like he will be "ahead" by a good bit, the first week after her retires, and it will take about five months of retirement to recoup his additional investment of £1,003.
Interesting info and again, thank you. How come you can do those calculations so fast? Do you use an Acer?

I'd be looking at about 12 years of UK NI in all as well. What happens here (and as far as I know should happen in all EU/EEC member states) is that when one retires one submits one's NI number (or whatever the other country's reference number is known as), the authorities do their thing, and combine the other country's payments with theirs.

Sounds odd, but it actually works! I helped a mate get out a couple of years ago, but he had already hit 65 and so had slightly fewer hoops to jump through. And the other country wasn't the UK...

My apologies for any potentially perceived hijacking of this thread, but I didn't post any cat photos here.

Yet.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 3:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Pulaski, thank you, as brilliant a reply as ever! .....
You're welcome.
.... T'was exactly my point. Without taking into account of one's domiciled country's view on what is retirement age... I presume that's still 65 for male Brits? ....
I think it still is, but it's going up soon, I believe. And it no longer makes any difference how many X chromosomes you have, the retirement age has been harmonized.
Interesting info and again, thank you. How come you can do those calculations so fast? Do you use an Acer? ...
"Do" them? ..... I pretty much have the numbers memorized!

Oh, and BTW the "36" in my earlier post should have been "35", being the number of years required to get a "full" UK state pension.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 24th 2017 at 3:45 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:02 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

... the "36" in my earlier post should have been "35",
I'll put that math down to the Acer then.

... "35" being the number of years required to get a "full" UK state pension.
Bugger! Mine's 38 years. I knew I would eventually stumble on a reason against quitting the UK.

I'll end up being 12 years short of enough state contributions to earn a fondue once a month.