Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Settlement Visa Info? (for my Indoneisan wife)

Settlement Visa Info? (for my Indoneisan wife)

Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Andrew7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Settlement Visa Info? (for my Indoneisan wife)

Hi there, I am going to be moving back to the UK in 8-9 months time and I am starting to dig through all the requirements for a UK settlement visa for my wife who is Indonesian.

We have been marred now for over 3 years and have a son, he is 19 months now.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time in advance!

Andrew
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settlement Visa Info? (for my Indoneisan wife)

Why not pop along to your local British High Commission or Embassy and ask them about it?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:53 am
pkr
Just Joined

pkr is an unknown quantity at this point

You will need to show you can support her financially, so you may need a job before you can get the visa. She will not be entitled to any benefits so if you lose your job (which is what happened to me about 5 years ago when I moved back to the UK with foreign wife) it can be pretty tough, though she is allowed to work. After a year she can apply for an Indefinate Leave to Remain visa. After 3 years she can apply to do the British Nationality test (which is not that easy if English is not your first language), after that is done she can apply for Citizenship (currently costs GBP700+) which takes about 6 months to come through.
Chances are it will become an even harder, longer more expensive process as the UK goes into recession and the xenophobes crawl out of the woodwork.

Good luck.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:27 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

Andrew im in a similar kind of situation but not married , im living in Australia and will be returning to live in London in the new year and i have an indonesian girlfriend that lives in indonesia and i want to take her back to the UK with me but am unsure of how the british authorities will deal with me as i havent lived there for about 15yrs and havent a job there either although i do have enough money to buy somewhere to live i hope maybe in your quest you may be able to throw some relivant info my way