Nationality???

Old Apr 3rd 2002, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

wildxena is on a distinguished road
Default Nationality???

Hey I was born in HK, carrying BNO. Now I need to file for permanent residency in USA. I would like to know what is my Nationality. Hong Kong? Hong Kong SAR? China? BNO?
Is Nationality SAME as Country of Citizenship to us?
Please let me know.
Old Apr 3rd 2002, 5:05 am
Alex Yeung

Default Re: Nationality???

On document, your nationality should be "British Nation (Overseas)" with your BNO
passport; while you're "Chinese (HKSAR)" with your HKSAR passort (if you have one).

But don't forget, your "real" nationality (assuming you're a local in HK) is Chinese.

"wildxena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hey I was born in HK, carrying BNO. Now I need to file for permanent residency in
    > USA. I would like to know what is my Nationality. Hong Kong? Hong Kong SAR? China?
    > BNO? Is Nationality SAME as Country of Citizenship to us? Please let me know.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 3rd 2002, 8:06 pm
anwar

This is wrong advise.

You should check with INS and report what they expect.

This is very important because your priority date will be tracked against your
country of birth and China has a very long wait.

Alex Yeung wrote:
    >
    > On document, your nationality should be "British Nation (Overseas)" with your BNO
    > passport; while you're "Chinese (HKSAR)" with your HKSAR passort (if you have one).
    >
    > But don't forget, your "real" nationality (assuming you're a local in HK) is
    > Chinese.
    >
    > "wildxena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey I was born in HK, carrying BNO. Now I need to file for permanent
    > > residency in USA. I would like to know what is my Nationality. Hong Kong?
    > > Hong Kong SAR? China? BNO? Is Nationality SAME as Country of Citizenship to
    > > us? Please let me know.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 11th 2002, 2:40 pm
Chris Blunt

"Alex Yeung" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On document, your nationality should be "British Nation (Overseas)" with your BNO
    >passport; while you're "Chinese (HKSAR)" with your HKSAR passort (if you have one).
    >
    >But don't forget, your "real" nationality (assuming you're a local in HK) is
    >Chinese.

That depends on what you mean by a "local" in Hong Kong. Unless you LOOK Chinese,
there's no way the government will ever recognise you as Chinese however long you've
lived there.

Chris

>"wildxena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Hey I was born in HK, carrying BNO. Now I need to file for permanent residency in
    >> USA. I would like to know what is my Nationality. Hong Kong? Hong Kong SAR? China?
    >> BNO? Is Nationality SAME as Country of Citizenship to us? Please let me know.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Posted via http://britishexpats.com