Life in Penang

Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:41 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life in Penang

By special request

So, is there anyone on this forum who is actually living in Penang now? What do you like about it? Any problems there?

Anyone visited Penang recently on visa-runs, whatever? What's your thoughts? Is it a good place to work? Is it a good place to retire? The MM2H programme is a very good retirement visa plan of course - a little expensive maybe.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:05 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice
Default Re: Life in Penang

katongkaren what kind of work would you like to do in penang ?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sherpa
katongkaren what kind of work would you like to do in penang ?

I don't want to work in Penang. This posting follows on from the KL posting which was digressing rather. Hopefully the other guys will be over in a minute

But if you've any thoughts on Penang, Sherpa - please go ahead.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:11 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've moved this from another thread so it may seem a bit disjointed. It was talk of moving to Penang:

But what is there to do in Penang?

I'm not being rude, I'd be delighted to be enlightened, but I've only spent 5 days there and that was more than enough - much as I love it (and had it last night in Sydney!) one can only eat so much char kway teow.

kk - going to put you on the spot now - what do you do all day in Phuket? (And just how many Plan Bs do you need, woman? You must be up to about F by now.)
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:15 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

i will sit this one out until i get the gist
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Just ingore my thinking out loud and refer to kk's original post, Sherpa. Do you have any experience of or views on living in Penang, either as a working expat or a retiree on the MM2H scheme?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Seasider
Just ingore my thinking out loud and refer to kk's original post, Sherpa. Do you have any experience of or views on living in Penang, either as a working expat or a retiree on the MM2H scheme?
No seasider all i know is penang is a popular holiday destination where old men can pick up young women hehehe lucky old men you only live once i guess
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:32 am
Auntie Fa

No seasider all i know is penang is a popular holiday destination where old men can pick up young women hehehe lucky old men you only live once i guess
Oh god I'm not getting into that discussion again.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:44 am
Banned

HaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa sure this was just an off the cuff comment sorry if a hit a raw nerve heheheeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:45 am
Legless recluse

leglessfool is on a distinguished road

This new thread seems to be taking a turn for the worse already
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:46 am
Account Closed

kk - going to put you on the spot now - what do you do all day in Phuket? (And just how many Plan Bs do you need, woman? You must be up to about F by now.)
Oy you're digressing. Do you want to start a new thread?

Every day is different. Today:
Got up late, made coffees, made breakfast
Spent most of morning learning Thai (feeling quite pleased with myself as I've been a bit fed up with it of late)
Sent a couple of emails
Drove to greengrocers to buy lunch and veggies and combined oral practice of Thai with g/grocer (I think she is taking the p*ss actually but she's cheerful)
Made lunch
Went for sweaty walk with Mr PK round the development where we live
Half hour swimming in the pool followed by knackered flop on the sunbeds for 15 minutes
Now made cup of tea and goofing around on the internet
Staying in tonight, cooking pasta and seafood washed down with liberal amounts of wine
Tomorrow, going out for the day up the island. Evening, meeting our friends down the "pub" (err girlie bar).

Right - will that do you? You're just jealous anyway
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:47 am
Legless recluse

Now let's get some discussion going on here by someone who really knows the place, ME
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:52 am
Legless recluse

Thumbs up Re: Life in Penang

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Oy you're digressing. Do you want to start a new thread?

Every day is different. Today:
Got up late, made coffees, made breakfast
Spent most of morning learning Thai (feeling quite pleased with myself as I've been a bit fed up with it of late)
Sent a couple of emails
Drove to greengrocers to buy lunch and veggies and combined oral practice of Thai with g/grocer (I think she is taking the p*ss actually but she's cheerful)
Made lunch
Went for sweaty walk with Mr PK round the development where we live
Half hour swimming in the pool followed by knackered flop on the sunbeds for 15 minutes
Now made cup of tea and goofing around on the internet
Staying in tonight, cooking pasta and seafood washed down with liberal amounts of wine
Tomorrow, going out for the day up the island. Evening, meeting our friends down the "pub" (err girlie bar).

Right - will that do you? You're just jealous anyway
I am certainly not jealous of you being in Phuket, you can keep the place.

Now getting back to Penang the next quote is what I have already put on one of my websites:

Penang is my ultimate destination now and it is the place that I foresee that this legless fool will finally retire in and hang up his leg for good. Funds permitting, I shall try and relocate to Penang just as quickly as I possibly can, it is without a doubt my favourite place in the world, it is just so old-worldly, cosmopolitan, it is steeped in culture and it has lots of history and atmosphere. Penang is also a gourmet's paradise, the diversity of different ethnic food outlets available can suit everyone's taste and you do not have to travel very far to find what you like, just a fairly short stroll around the main roads and small back streets and you will surely find something ideal for your taste or fancy.

To me Penang is the epitome of the Far East as I know it and as I would like to know it and Lastly, but by no means least, the people in Penang are genuine people they are ever so friendly and inviting to visitors, unlike other Asian countries that I could mention!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leglessfool
I am certainly not jealous of you being in Phuket, you can keep the place.

Now getting back to Penang the next quote is what I have already put on one of my websites:

Penang is my ultimate destination now and it is the place that I foresee that this legless fool will finally retire in and hang up his leg for good. Funds permitting, I shall try and relocate to Penang just as quickly as I possibly can, it is without a doubt my favourite place in the world, it is just so old-worldly, cosmopolitan, it is steeped in culture and it has lots of history and atmosphere. Penang is also a gourmet's paradise, the diversity of different ethnic food outlets available can suit everyone's taste and you do not have to travel very far to find what you like, just a fairly short stroll around the main roads and small back streets and you will surely find something ideal for your taste or fancy.

To me Penang is the epitome of the Far East as I know it and as I would like to know it and Lastly, but by no means least, the people in Penang are genuine people they are ever so friendly and inviting to visitors, unlike other Asian countries that I could mention!
Not in my opinion.

There are a few very good restaurants.

But for me the hawker stalls aren't very good.

And Gurney Drive isn't worth visiting.

And don't mention the Pasar Malam or the coffee shops associated with it on Batu feringhee.

Oh btw we like holidaying in Penang.
Was there just a month ago.

But 5 days a year is enough.
Living there, well we couldn't.

Last edited by ex reg; Mar 10th 2009 at 11:03 am.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:07 pm
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that is the case in any Asian country (well, maybe not Korea and Japan, as they are first world countries), Latin America or even Eastern Europe, where economic disparity exists greatly between nations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.