Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Laos to Allow Permenant Residence to Foreigners

Laos to Allow Permenant Residence to Foreigners

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of
Default Re: Laos to Allow Permenant Residence to Foreigners

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Another place indeed. It is like Cambodia already relatively easy in the sense of being able to purchase a yearly business visa,but not being required to actually conduct a/any business.

Will find out more from a friend whom resides there. Lovely country,but not yet ready for older retirees perhaps unless toughened up a bit,as not a lot of facilities there.

Expect this has changed somewhat as was last there in 07 and a lot of developmental work was being carried out then.
France was restoring a lot of the old shopfronts down town and was looking rather classy.

I can see it becoming a favoured place in time though. The French flair certainly helps.

Already know several folk set up there in business of sorts with every last one of them loving it.They include Aussies,French A Swede and a Welshman.

Never say never Baked bean,it's not yhat far from Penang.
Hi troubadour,

I know very little about Laos or Cambodia, as I am almost permanently in China.
I am unsure what you actually mean regarding Cambodia visa.
Do you mean that as a UK citizen I can "buy" a 12 month business visa, and rent an apartment without too much difficulty?

Geting back to Laos, What would I need to do if I ever decided to "wind away a year " and basically chill out and relax in Laos?

Vette
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:37 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Hi troubadour,

Do you mean that as a UK citizen I can "buy" a 12 month business visa, and rent an apartment without too much difficulty?

Geting back to Laos, What would I need to do if I ever decided to "wind away a year " and basically chill out and relax in Laos?

Vette
You can get a one year business visa for Cambodia without much problem. Money is the only requirement for that one. Doesn't matter what visa you've got for the apartment as again you only need one thing, money !

Not sure about one year visas for Laos but if it came to it you could always go on a visa run to Thailand / China / Cambodia etc and then start over again.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Hi troubadour,

Vette
Hi Vette,
Samething applies to Lao PDR with regards to visa.Have an Aussie friend who has been living in Vientiane since 07 on such a visa.
He loves the country and like you lived many years in China and Taiwan,but seems to prefer Laos.
With the visa you can of course enter Thailand as often as you wish to stock up etc.
I found Laos a great place to relax but Cambodia is as well. All depends on your interests. Very much a personal choice.
Cambodia would be better if it's night life or beach of course.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:01 am
Just Joined

adi.adindas will become famous soon enoughadi.adindas will become famous soon enough

Great news. This will allow Brits pensioners to live in a sunny, not expensive place in their retirement.

Is there any article that we could read this scheme in details. For instance, is there any pension funding requirement, etc ??
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I have yet to find a written link. Actually heard it over the radio either on BBC or Australia's ABC.

Doesn't appear to be law yet but remember it is easy enough to remain at the moment on the Business Visa which costs some $500 a year. You don't need to have a business either.

With that you can cross over to Thailand as many times as you wish to shop etc,only a short trip.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

my son lives in laos as hes married to a laos woman, he was working at the international school in vientiane teaching english and music, but his contract ended and so he no longer has a working visa, therefore he has to travel to the border from Ban naa every month to pay to renew his visa, they stamp his british passport every time so it will run out every year hes there and they cost a lot of money.
So if anyone's thinking of retiring there, unless the law changes on visas or unless you have a business, then depending on where you would live in Laos, you would have to keep going back and forth and renewing the visa every month, plus the problem of your passport running out of pages - they love those rubber stamps in Laos!!!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jaques2go
my son lives in laos as hes married to a laos woman, he was working at the international school in vientiane teaching english and music, but his contract ended and so he no longer has a working visa, therefore he has to travel to the border from Ban naa every month to pay to renew his visa, they stamp his british passport every time so it will run out every year hes there and they cost a lot of money.
So if anyone's thinking of retiring there, unless the law changes on visas or unless you have a business, then depending on where you would live in Laos, you would have to keep going back and forth and renewing the visa every month, plus the problem of your passport running out of pages - they love those rubber stamps in Laos!!!
Why doesn't your son apply for permanent residence? Being married to a Lao national will do it.

Of course crossing into Thailand every month they will slug him $30 or $40 much too expensive to do long term.

Besides being married one can still get the all important PR sticker. Get to know someone working in government and a little money will ease the way forward.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:27 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Another place indeed. It is like Cambodia already relatively easy in the sense of being able to purchase a yearly business visa,but not being required to actually conduct a/any business.

Will find out more from a friend whom resides there. Lovely country,but not yet ready for older retirees perhaps unless toughened up a bit,as not a lot of facilities there.

Expect this has changed somewhat as was last there in 07 and a lot of developmental work was being carried out then.
France was restoring a lot of the old shopfronts down town and was looking rather classy.

I can see it becoming a favoured place in time though. The French flair certainly helps.

Already know several folk set up there in business of sorts with every last one of them loving it.They include Aussies,French A Swede and a Welshman.

Never say never Baked bean,it's not yhat far from Penang.
I quite fancy Laos or Cambodia as more than just a trip. Do you know if the business visa allows you to buy a small property there as well? I've long since had the plan that I'll go to the Champasak Grand in Pakse to while away my twilight years. Only $30 per night and the best tom yum soup I've ever had.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:46 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I quite fancy Laos or Cambodia as more than just a trip. Do you know if the business visa allows you to buy a small property there as well? I've long since had the plan that I'll go to the Champasak Grand in Pakse to while away my twilight years. Only $30 per night and the best tom yum soup I've ever had.
I'm pretty sure that Laos is the same as Thailand in that there are severe restrictions on foreigners buying land and having businesses. However in Cambodia there are no such restrictions and a foreigner can own 100% of the property on something like a 99 year lease I think. And that is exactly what the Chinese are doing there at the moment. None of this having to put something in your wife's name. Makes me wonder why more people don't go to Cambodia. I suppose there is the fact that it has a lot of catching up to after the horrors of the past. Give it a few years though and some HEAVY investment in infrastucture . I like the place and I'm supporting it by going on holiday and spend my cash there.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

Why doesn't your son apply for permanent residence? Being married to a Lao national will do it.

Of course crossing into Thailand every month they will slug him $30 or $40 much too expensive to do long term.

Besides being married one can still get the all important PR sticker. Get to know someone working in government and a little money will ease the way forward.
thank you troubadour, i will ask him why he hasnt done this........
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have been in phone contact to Laos today and tried to clarify the situation with a friend long resident there.

Has your son sorted out his status yet? If not and your son would like a yearly visa get him or you to PM me with either your or I can give you my friends contact and he should be able to sort out the visa issues through his contacts in government there.
As for permanent residence it can be done being married to a Lao, as a Friend of his from Iran has just managed it but a lot of paper work which can be somewhat drawn out but with a degree of perseverance it can be achieved.

As for others wanting permanent residence it would appear that a seven year ongoing stay in the country may be a requirement.
Like many things there may well be room for 'negotiations.'

Hope this may be of some help on this question.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:57 am

going to Laos on Sunday for my beer and baguette diet.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

I have been in phone contact to Laos today and tried to clarify the situation with a friend long resident there.

Has your son sorted out his status yet? If not and your son would like a yearly visa get him or you to PM me with either your or I can give you my friends contact and he should be able to sort out the visa issues through his contacts in government there.
As for permanent residence it can be done being married to a Lao, as a Friend of his from Iran has just managed it but a lot of paper work which can be somewhat drawn out but with a degree of perseverance it can be achieved.

As for others wanting permanent residence it would appear that a seven year ongoing stay in the country may be a requirement.
Like many things there may well be room for 'negotiations.'

Hope this may be of some help on this question.

....thank you my son has gone into the local monastery for a couple of weeks but i will mention it to him when he comes out.............as for laos beer or beer laos as they call it - yes i love it
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:23 am

....thank you my son has gone into the local monastery for a couple of weeks but i will mention it to him when he comes out.............as for laos beer or beer laos as they call it - yes i love it
goes down very well. The draught is great !
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

My son went to the immigration office in vientiane, laos and was told there is no facility for any foreigner married to a laos national to have permanent residency.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.