Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Laos to Allow Permenant Residence to Foreigners

Laos to Allow Permenant Residence to Foreigners

Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Laos to Allow Permenant Residence to Foreigners

Will foreigners now flock to this mountainous little nation,now that it appears restrictions to full time living there are to be lifted?

Will it give Thailand a run for it's money? Probably not.

Anyone know more about this? Wouldn't be Chinese influence to legalise the large number of their citizens alreadt there by any chance?

Some are saying that Laos is in danger of becoming almost a Chinese provence.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laos to Allow Permenant Residence to Foreigners

Wow I've never been there, and probably won't, but at least it's another option for us expats out there.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Another place indeed. It is like Cambodia already relatively easy in the sense of being able to purchase a yearly business visa,but not being required to actually conduct a/any business.

Will find out more from a friend whom resides there. Lovely country,but not yet ready for older retirees perhaps unless toughened up a bit,as not a lot of facilities there.

Expect this has changed somewhat as was last there in 07 and a lot of developmental work was being carried out then.
France was restoring a lot of the old shopfronts down town and was looking rather classy.

I can see it becoming a favoured place in time though. The French flair certainly helps.

Already know several folk set up there in business of sorts with every last one of them loving it.They include Aussies,French A Swede and a Welshman.

Never say never Baked bean,it's not yhat far from Penang.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 1:22 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Haha yeh I know by now that you should never say never as an expat, but after almost one year here I'm feeling quite good n settled :-)
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:50 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Can't see things taking off there myself. Maybe a bit of an increase as more people grow jaded by Thailand or wish to be somewhere more laidback or quiter than Thailand.

I don't think it's for everyone for reasons I said before in another post. It's just too quiet for me and there isn't much to do there really. Even in Vientiene "the capital city " , which is tiny really, I get bored after a few days.

For me , Laos is a nice place to visit but I couldn't live there.

Much prefer Cambodia.

That;s just me though.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Claudia1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are now planning a short trip to Laos later in year & shall be happy to provide our objective take on things.

Any suggestions from the "experts" on what to see in capital plus nice places to stay ? Thanks.

Claudia

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Can't see things taking off there myself. Maybe a bit of an increase as more people grow jaded by Thailand or wish to be somewhere more laidback or quiter than Thailand.

I don't think it's for everyone for reasons I said before in another post. It's just too quiet for me and there isn't much to do there really. Even in Vientiene "the capital city " , which is tiny really, I get bored after a few days.

For me , Laos is a nice place to visit but I couldn't live there.

Much prefer Cambodia.

That;s just me though.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Claudia1
We are now planning a short trip to Laos later in year & shall be happy to provide our objective take on things.

Any suggestions from the "experts" on what to see in capital plus nice places to stay ? Thanks.

Claudia
Stayed in a very elegant French style place over looking the Mekong River and ran by an Aussie from Perth.
Lost the name but there are plentiful places to pick from.

You could,have a dinner at the French resturant,La Belle Epoque, it's located in a Hotel,called something Palace (forget first name) the dining room is something else and well worth a visit as well as a drink at the bar.....really full of ambiance. The other French one I liked was called La Provencial and another again one around the corner from them I think is called Cote De Azure,great sitting outside sipping a good French red which goes down a treat even in such tropical heat.

Lao National Theatre worth catching for a taste of local culture. It is situated near the Wat.

Worth taking a stroll out of town to the National Museum where they show the lao peoples resistance to the Americans and earlier the French.
Actually better than it sounds.

Take breakfast at the Swedish Bakery. As good as France with great Lao cafe and Croissants or baguette with any additions you want.
Great place to chat with resident foreigners and those passing through.

There is the Morning Market interesting but little of interest to buy perhaps.
Then there is the night market by the river.....

Sit in one of the cafes overlooking the Mekong and watch the sun set while drinking a Beer Lao......

Take a road trip down to Luang Phabang,a cultural world heritage city.
We hired a mimi van with driver to go there,but can take the bus as well.

Do go to the waterfalls when there. Lovely cool water to swim in.

Can stop on way at Van Vieng and tube down the Mekong with the backpackers.....
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Your feedback is extremely helpful - a massive thanks !

One question - how long to Luang Phabang & approx how much ?? Is flying a feasible option !

Thanks again,

Claudia

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Stayed in a very elegant French style place over looking the Mekong River and ran by an Aussie from Perth.

You could,have a dinner at the French resturant,La Belle Epoque, it's located in a Hotel,called something Palace (forget first name) the dining room is something else and well worth a visit as well as a drink at the bar.....really full of ambiance. The other French one I liked was called La Provencial and another again one around the corner from them I think is called Cote De Azure,great sitting outside sipping a good French red which goes down a treat even in such tropical heat.

Lao National Theatre worth catching for a taste of local culture. It is situated near the Wat.

Worth taking a stroll out of town to the National Museum where they show the lao peoples resistance to the Americans and earlier the French.

Take breakfast at the Swedish Bakery. As good as France with great Lao cafe and Croissants or baguette with any additions you want.

Sit in one of the cafes overlooking the Mekong and watch the sun set while drinking a Beer Lao......

Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes indeed you can fly from LP to Veintiane with ease. We done so. Don't recall the price but you wouldn't need be concerned it was very cheap.

Same for the van to LP. Something like $20 at the time. Remember it was 07.
The road trip involves very narrow mountain roads with massive drops.

Forgot to mention when in Vientiane hire a boat and go down river to the cave.....

When in LP go early in the morning and watch/give alms to the monks....
Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:44 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

The morning market is good for DVDs. They worked out at about 20 baht each and they're all good quality. Top floor. My wife seemed quite happy shopping there but then she is a woman . Personally I preferred the pub near the market.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Claudia1

Claudia
There is a fountain in the middle of town close to the river where a lot of the hotels are. There is a little pedestianised area area around the fountain ( don't expect too much ) where there are some excellent French restaurants. For nightlife the best spot in town has to be a disco on the rooftop of a hotel by the river. Open air in places with a good view of the river it's open till late if you want a late drink and to see what happens in Vientiene after dark. Can't remember the name of it but everyone would know it. There was also a bar called ' Bor Ben Yang ' ( Mai Pen Rai in Thai ) by the river that gets quite busy. Oper air upstairs bar that was okay.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Great data - many thanks again guys.

Claudia
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do tell us how you found it on your return. You can perhaps add a few of your own findings with regards to eating establishments and whatever else of note as things change all the time.
Enjoy Lao PDR.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:07 am

I'm going there at the start of August for a few days, just to Vientene though. Not been for a couple of years now so it will be interesting to see what it's like now. I do find the hotels there a bit overpriced for what you get so if anyone knows somewhere decent in the 20-30 $ range please say so. Looking to stay anywhere near the river and the fountain.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Absolutely !

Shall be only too pleased to provide feedback although now unlikely to be going until end year.

Claudia

Do tell us how you found it on your return. You can perhaps add a few of your own findings with regards to eating establishments and whatever else of note as things change all the time.
Enjoy Lao PDR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.