Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Hi All, Newbie Rigger needs help looking 4 work.

Hi All, Newbie Rigger needs help looking 4 work.

Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:54 am
Just Joined

MartiJenner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi All, Newbie Rigger needs help looking 4 work.

Hello all you Expats, I am interested in finding work in the far east, I am a qualified NVQ3 Rigger and have been working mainly in the oil and gas industry with a brief spell on a vessel during a wellhead abandonment campaign.

I just need some advice on where to start and who to contact so any numbers, addresses or advice will more than welcome.

Thank you in advance

Martin.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:13 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi All, Newbie Rigger needs help looking 4 work.

Hi Martin,

Welcome to BE.

I'm afraid I can't help with any info regarding your search, as I am in the US. However, I've moved your thread to the Far East forum, and hopefully someone in this section may be able to give you some pointers.

In the meantime, take some time to browse around the site and read other threads, etc. If you get stuck on anything please don't hesitate to give me, the moderators or the concierges a shout anytime.

Sue
Old Mar 4th 2011, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sue.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 4:17 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Hello mate, welcome to BE. Not sure if I can help you really. Been living out here for quite a long time now and I have met many people who work in the oil and gas industry but I don't think any of them worked locally. They all worked in the middle east and did something like six weeks on and six weeks off or something like that.
Maybe ask in the ME section if anyone there has done any work over this way. There are more people in there and obviously a lot of them are going to be in that industry too.

p.s. I know that Burma has a lot of gas and there is a lot going on in Cambodia too with exploration. Don't know if that is any help though.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice, will post in the ME forum. To be honest it makes complete sense to do this. Thanks again.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

There are many ship building yards in Singapore.
I've worked in a few, not on the rigging side.

But from what I remember the rigging stuff was done by locals who were excellent.

Maybe there is a position for an expat but I would doubt it.

I'd think the same was the situation in Brunei, Sarawak, Sabah and Peninsula Malaysia.

Indonesia has a lot of oil and gas work and construction of rigs and I know they used to employ ex pats but as that was a long time ago then they might have now transferred to their locals. Might be worth investigating.

Not any help I know but it might help you concentrate your search.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you all. I'm slowly getting pointed in the right direction. Applied for a few in the Middle East but like in most things now it's a case of 'who' you know instead of 'what' you know but I will keep asking and sending CV's, you never know I might hit lucky. Thanks again.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:35 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

All the best. No idea where you look but there's oil and gas work all over south east Asia - both Thailand and Malaysia have big oil industries and other countries mentioned above. I would've thought there would be some agencies you could contact. Difficult to know where to start, isn't it.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
All the best. No idea where you look but there's oil and gas work all over south east Asia - both Thailand and Malaysia have big oil industries and other countries mentioned above. I would've thought there would be some agencies you could contact. Difficult to know where to start, isn't it.
I have contacted a few agencies and quite a few major companies, I think like most of the people are saying cheap local labour is the problem, I am starting a NEBOSH construction health and safety course soon so maybe with that under my belt it might be easier but then I'll get the problem of having no experience in the H&S field but it can't harm to have it.
Old May 12th 2011, 9:06 am
Just Joined

M Howl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am looking for c20 riggers for a major refinery project in Singapore

Please contact me on 00 441925 857054 to discuss

Regards

Matt
Old May 13th 2011, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Hi Matt,
Is that a UK number? I'm offshore at the moment and can't dial out overseas. If it's UK I will ring today if not I will wing as soon as I hit the beach.

Kind regards,

M.Jenner.