Reload this Page >

Help Needed - International Romance

Help Needed - International Romance

Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Magpie79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Needed - International Romance

Hi,

I posted in the welcome board and it was suggested I posted in the different region boards.

My original post:

I was wondering if I could pick the brains of some of the people here.

First I'll give you the background. I'm a British born London based IT professional with about 8 years experience. About 10 months ago I met a Ukrainian girl whilst she was on holiday in London. We kept in touch and a full fledged relationship has blossomed. We talk every day and see each other about every 6 weeks however we are keen to live the same country as distance relationships are a killer.

Option 1:

She moves to London. This we are currently trying. She has a masters degree from a French University and speaks 4 languages including English, French and Russian. She has worked in HR for a well known French International Cosmetics company for the last 4 years in Kiev. She has been offered work in London but it was receptionist work at minim wage, this would be a massive step backwards for her so it was far from ideal. The problem is being from the Ukraine getting a Visa to work here may prove impossible.

Option 2:

We both move to a different country. This is something I'm actively exploring and the main point of me posting here. I'm fortunate enough to have little commitments here and have working skills that are valuable to other countries. The idea of living abroad for a few years is very appealing but I have no idea where would be good to go. Ideally it would have a decent standard of living, not have a massive impact on my salary and welcome both of us. I know this is a big ask and realistically sacrifices will need to be made.

Option 3:

I move to Kiev. This is something I could do. The level of corruption there is a big tern off as is the big drop in salary. It might be possible I could keep my current job and work from home. However I've worked from home before and it's terribly isolating, I can't begin to imagine how much more isolating it would be in a foreign country. I haven't ruled this out but we want to explore option 1 and 2 first.

So basically I'm asking if anyone can suggest possible countries/cites around the world that might be good for us to relocate for a few years? Someone has suggested Singapore to me which I'm looking into but I'm sure there are plenty of other suitable places. Also other good places online to ask this question would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Magpie
Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:48 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Needed - International Romance

I'd try to work on what places you can both get work and visas to stay with no difficulty. Look into that and then try to contact companies or whatever. If she is as qualified as you say surely she can get something better in London though. Good luck with it all though. See what other people say.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Magpie79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help Needed - International Romance

Thanks for the reply

London is tough as her experience is in HR but we will keep trying. As for other countries I'm not sure what ones would be a good idea Visa wise. Idea's on this is the main reason for my post.