Getting old in Asia

Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:29 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting old in Asia

I think everyone at some time or another has had a few scrapes and mishaps in Thailand . Things that were probably caused by too much booze ect . I can think of a few situations that happened to me where you could say I was very lucky that nothing bad happened . If you end up a few thousand baht the worse off in the morning it's not the end of the world . It's probably due to the fact that Thais are on the whole pretty decent / honest people that nothing bad happened . Given me an idea to start a thread there...
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Come across quite a few who ended up "Down and Out in Thailand" - often EFLers who went there to teach or types who went wiith some cash and "ran a bar".
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:11 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Done both of them . The main problem in both cases is with people who didn't want to actually work .

Always work for a foreigner teaching in Thailand if they so want it .

A successful bar takes a lot of work too .
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:58 am
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Wow such negativity in this thread.

I can't afford to return to the UK FACT!!

Although a professional, I have no chance of getting a decent job at my age and how could I afford to buy a home, I would end up in a government boarding house.

Sorry but that has no appeal to me, I don't drink or do drugs so I wouldn't fit in.

I have lived and worked here in China for almost 4 years now, I have a wonderful life, and really happy, sorry if that's wrong.

However I cannot retire in China, unless I take Chinese citizenship, and I am not prepared to loose my British Passport.

I have no real capitol after two divorces, so what do you guys suggest ? When I retire I just top myself????????????? or, invest in a small house in the Philippines which I can afford now and live quietly on my UK pension??

Sometimes life can be cruel, but to suggest that every retiring expat is pissing his money up walls in local bars every day, or buying local girls is, in my opinion, being far more short-sighted.

Having watched my aged parents grow old in good old UK, and seen how they have suffered, it really has no appeal. Maybe like David, I will end up dead in some shack on a beach, but hells bells, at least I had a life, rather than sit in some damp miserable room in freezing England waiting to die for 20 odd years!!!

LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT, SO SMILE AND BE POSITIVE
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:17 am

Thanks for the post , I don't think people meant to be negative . just realistic about what can happen . It's good that you're trying to make a life for yourself . I don't know all the ins and outs of your situation but it sounds a bit like you're stuck or you will be stuck which is exactly what people were talking about earlier in the thread . If you're going to be happy in the PPPs living a quiet life good luck to you .
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevray

Although a professional, I have no chance of getting a decent job at my age and how could I afford to buy a home, I would end up in a government boarding house.

Sorry but that has no appeal to me, I don't drink or do drugs so I wouldn't fit in.

I have lived and worked here in China for almost 4 years now, I have a wonderful life, and really happy, sorry if that's wrong.

However I cannot retire in China, unless I take Chinese citizenship, and I am not prepared to loose my British Passport.

I have no real capitol after two divorces, so what do you guys suggest ? When I retire I just top myself????????????? or, invest in a small house in the Philippines which I can afford now and live quietly on my UK pension??

Sometimes life can be cruel, but to suggest that every retiring expat is pissing his money up walls in local bars every day, or buying local girls is, in my opinion, being far more short-sighted.

Having watched my aged parents grow old in good old UK, and seen how they have suffered, it really has no appeal. Maybe like David, I will end up dead in some shack on a beach, but hells bells, at least I had a life, rather than sit in some damp miserable room in freezing England waiting to die for 20 odd years!!!

I thought the thread was more inspirational and thought provoking myself. Being a work aholic not big chance of wasting time on girls or booze.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:04 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Kevray, not particularly picking on you, but I find it weird that everyone talks about retirees as if retired women do not exist Yes there are some of us. Actually..... quite a lot of us. And you know, we've got the Vote now, we work, own businesses the same as men, and provide for our retirement, the same as men Funny eh?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I agree - I know a few people who have managed to transition into Asia and do it well. A lot of guys end up broke, old and ill.

The real point of my post was just to make guys think about their future, which happens a lot faster than they realise.

David had his share of other problems, but he gave up a good teaching job in the UK to move to Asia, and I find it hard not to say it was a bad decision.
Was David at pension age then? That being the case why was he so skint? Really folk can end up in destitute situations just as easily in England.

Perhaps David's life to him had more meaning in Asia than he he had stayed in his homeland perhaps not. We are hardly in a position to judge.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

You will I expect be getting a UK pension? I don't see a thing wrong with your idea. I've a friend living in Laos. A very simple existance but is fine by him. He has a motor bike, does a little teaching and since I saw him it seems got some sort of market garden.
He can't afford to return to Australia. Spending close on twenty years in China and Taiwan and several years in Laos has past the point of living a western lifestyle again.
Good Luck.
Old May 27th 2013, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

petersut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Difficult to say as have come across both types in Asia.To be poor and alone in The West can be a pretty low quality of life as well. Many folk that do retire there surely get an aged pension? Which goes a lot further there than in inflated Australia.
I know a woman at the moment around 57 just gone on Disability Benefit in Adelaide,after a year living in Cambodia. She loves that country and is trying to arrange it that she is judged permenately incapacitated then will be able to draw her $700 a fortnight from a Cambodian bank at the same time rent out her house for $1000 a fortnight and live the life of Riley in Sien Riep...how many are doing similarthings to that?

Life in OZ being so expensive these days can you blame anyone?
You need to tell your friend she is a thief. Stealing money from the Australian govt and ruining it for Australians who want to live in Aus who genuinely need a disability benefit .
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Mad Hatter is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seem a few guys that moved to Thailand or Philippines and just partied and drank their savings away...Then they're stuck.

I also know far more guys that have moved to Thailand or Philippines and would never consider moving back to the West. I could see myself living there until eligible for medicare & SS.

It's really a case of those people that make good decisions throughout life versus those who continually make bad decisions.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 3:04 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
I've seem a few guys that moved to Thailand or Philippines and just partied and drank their savings away...Then they're stuck.
Yes exactly, and folks don't always (well usually) don't think about the long term issues. It's depressing so just don't think about it. Then when something happens ... What?

What happens is that some poor bugger (distant cousin, niece, nephew) gets lumbered with figuring what to do,with this distant relative with maybe stroke (wheelchair, paralysed) or heart attack or cancer or whatever.

Sorry if this is a bit sad and morbid but folks should think about realities. I am seeing this happen with other folks out in Asia and I make my own plans .

People need to think and plan.