Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Fed up of the U.K. Where to Live in Asia?

Fed up of the U.K. Where to Live in Asia?

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

anonymous0258 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fed up of the U.K. Where to Live in Asia?

Hey all,

Im fed up of the UK with the Big Brother situation and society falling apart. Im just not happy here.

I wish to move to a more cheap, happy, country in asia.

Ive looked realy hard at Thailand but a few things are putting me off. The scams, 37 degree heat, corruption etc.

Is there anywhere else in Asia that is easy to get long term visa or visa run like thailand. No so many scams or as hot as Thailand.

Thanks for any advice and help.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:02 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed up of the U.K. Where to Live in Asia?

Hi, welcome to BE. what are you planning to do - work or retire? In south east Asia, Mslaysia has long term retirement visa. Thailand i think you can still get yearly retirement visa. Both places 30ish degrees

The Peens has good visa and a tad cooler i think.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

anonymous0258 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi, welcome to BE. what are you planning to do - work or retire? In south east Asia, Mslaysia has long term retirement visa. Thailand i think you can still get yearly retirement visa. Both places 30ish degrees

The Peens has good visa and a tad cooler i think.
Hi thanks for the welcome.

Im 27 years old. Have an online business so as long as I have internet connection I will be ok. Due to my age retirement visa is not an option.

I was looking at Hong Kong but the crazy high cost of apartments to rent makes it not an option for me.

The main factor for a country to choose is visa requirments to stay long term. Thailand is good because of the visa run. Is there any other countries that allow this?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:02 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

No idea. Better to get a pukka visa. Try posting a thread in other subforums: thailand, hongkong. all the best
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 5:13 am
Just Joined

cyber_drac is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess Singapore is also a option for you. However temp. is around 30C in most of the days
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by cyber_drac
I guess Singapore is also a option for you. However temp. is around 30C in most of the days
I don't think so. You won't get away with visa runs in Singapore. You'll need a proper visa. From what I have heard, all the ASEAN countries are getting more serious with visa runners these days. Better to get a proper visa.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Go for a business visa in Cambodia. Last time I heard it cost $500. Renew each year. No need to start a business either. No runs necessary then.
Remember all these countries mentioned are in the tropics. If heat and humidity not your thing then this area not really for you.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Supernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to all

Well just some pointers....most of these asian countries are very hot & humid during some parts of the year (some more than others) & the ones that are less scammy i.e. Japan, HK, Singapore etc are less likely to allow many visa runs and are more expensive to live in, and vice versa.
Somewhere like the Philippines or China, as a young single white guy, I'd imagine you'd be a target for a little cheating here & there!
Last point is, the grass is always greener......on the other side
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonymous0258
Thailand is good because of the visa run. Is there any other countries that allow this?

Whatis a visa run?
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Supernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to all

Where you keep leaving & returning to the same country to reset the tourist visa time frame, not a way I'd personally like to live !
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supernoodles
Where you keep leaving & returning to the same country to reset the tourist visa time frame, not a way I'd personally like to live !
LOL Well I appear to be doing it, but its not for this purpose.

Expect will be flying 3 days per week, so perhaps no need to get a visa
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
LOL Well I appear to be doing it, but its not for this purpose.

Expect will be flying 3 days per week, so perhaps no need to get a visa
And where are you actually residing then? and is it illegally out of interest?
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Supernoodles
And where are you actually residing then? and is it illegally out of interest?
Hi Super noodles

Will be heading up our Asian division focused on:
- Japan
- Thailand
- Malaysia
- Singapore
- Vietnam

Will also be traveling to Hong Kong but more for friends and family

In Australia at the moment
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

cyber_drac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Most of my mates moved to Singapore in 2010 - 2011. I just contact one of them. He told that Singapore government issued a 12 month visa for graduates and it will let them to be in Singapore till find a job. To apply for the visa you must have a well recognized degree. Please check Singapore government still issues this visa.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

We're finding Taiwan a very pleasant place to live. Quite like Hong Kong but bigger and the rents are cheaper. My husband is similar to you - he can work anywhere with an internet connection (I.T.). He has his own limited company and opened a branch here to get us all two year visas, but there are other ways of getting visas through this route if you don't have an official company as such.

A good place to start looking is this forum: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewforum.php?f=189

I think living in Asia is wonderful. Your money goes much further, the climate is nicer (though you'd be hard put to find a country that doesn't have 30 + degrees temps in the summer) and the cultures are generally much more relaxed and friendly.

Bear in mind that the better the standard of living is in a country the harder it will be to get a visa to live there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.