Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Do you speak the lingo?

Do you speak the lingo?

Old Dec 18th 2008, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you speak the lingo?

Id did make living there so much easier.
Was pretty essential in my work as well.

But than it was time to move on and Australia was an easy choice.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 3:42 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mipik
Show off mode on...

I've done a long stint in China and speak Mandarin, can also read and write.
Done a few years in Guangzhou (Canton) so know a fair bit of Cantonese.
In addition to my native Polish I also speak English (obviously) and Russian.
Bits and pieces of other languages as well.

Show off mode off...
Don't you just hate these clever people (only joking).

Well I can order my fruit and veggies from my Thai greengrocer in Thai. I can also swear in Greek (not terribly useful at the moment)

Now how about you Seasider?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 4:02 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I can order drinks in several languages and I can say some very rude words in Hokkien. I think my Thai is limited to Hello and Thank you, as is my Bahasa.

I now find it hard to believe I was a star pupil in French and German classes, as I've forgotten most of it - use it or lose it, I guess. I have been known to speak German to fellow holidaymakers in the Canaries, Caribbean, etc., whilst very drunk. Badly, I am sure, but at least I try.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mipik
Show off mode on...

I've done a long stint in China and speak Mandarin, can also read and write.
Done a few years in Guangzhou (Canton) so know a fair bit of Cantonese.
In addition to my native Polish I also speak English (obviously) and Russian.
Bits and pieces of other languages as well.

Show off mode off...

OH is Chinese so our daughter is fully bilingual (English and Chinese) goes to Saturday school to get formal Chinese lessons. In year 3 in school she will start Spanish.

These Saturday Chinese schools are in every place where there is a bit of Chinese population (I think here in Adelaide there are 3 or 4). They are sponsored by Chinese government, run a good curriculum and accept kids from non Chinese background (adults too, there are at least 3 white Ausiess studying in my daughter school with their kids).
with those language skills you are entitled to show off good for you mate
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

So back to the question of global languages, would a Mandarin or Cantonese (either one or both!) person find it easier to learn English or learn Spanish? I'm still trying to speculate on which of the four I put forward: English, Spanish, Mandarin & Arabic, is likely to prove 'the' language for the future. No pressure then
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

both mandarin and cantonese do not have any grammar as such, therefore learning a language such as english would be quite difficult
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunmovin
both mandarin and cantonese do not have any grammar as such, therefore learning a language such as english would be quite difficult
....so the same would apply to Spanish? Or is the relatively more straightforward, phonetic, pronunciation of Spanish, likely to be learned more easily?
nb fascinated with the concept of no grammar - is there an easy way of explaining that?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Father Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fionamw
....so the same would apply to Spanish? Or is the relatively more straightforward, phonetic, pronunciation of Spanish, likely to be learned more easily?
nb fascinated with the concept of no grammar - is there an easy way of explaining that?
I don't think it's going to make much difference. Many speakers of either Cantonese or Mandarin will have had some exposure to English already, but I don't see that helping much to be honest. What I can say is that people I have met in my 10+ years living in Chinese-speaking countries is that people who learn non-English languages tend to speak them very well. I think this is because for them to choose these languages rather than English they generally have a real interest in them, as opposed to the majority of those who learn English because they have to.

It's not true to say there's no grammar in Chinese. There is no conjugation of verbs and there is no declension of nouns, but there is definitely a grammar of sorts, it's just not as prescriptive as in English or French. I don't know how to describe it, but it's a lot more touchy feely, and when it comes to Mandarin, there are definite differences in words and phrases between Mainland and Taiwanese Mandarin, and even Mandarin in different parts of China. Of course Mandarin has to be flexible because in China, for example, most people who speak it actually speak it quite badly. There is of course a political element to it as well which would have to be the subject of another thread....

If I had to choose the top four languages for the future they would be English, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, and Spanish. And if I was doing a study of a multi-lingual society I would look at Malaysia.

Also, with Chinese I think there are two levels to aim for. Speaking good Mandarin is great for easing your lifestyle living in the country, but if you are going to bother learning the characters I think it only makes sense if you're going to be able to read and write at a high level, in other words be able to use it in your job. ABCs etc who have native-level spoken language are often disappointed to find that when they arrive in Asia they can't get a job because they need to review and comment on documents written in Chinese.