Reload this Page >

cycling around Langkawi

cycling around Langkawi

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

rubies42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cycling around Langkawi

Hi,
We are off to Thailand and Malaysia next march/april.While we are on Langkawi we would like to do abit of biking to visit some of the more out of the way beaches.We are staying near the top of the west coast of the island.Has anyone any info on how easy Langkawi is to bike around?? [i read some where there are bike lanes??? ] any scenic beaches to go to .Also is it quite safe to go biking on your own??. Thanks very much
sue
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 10:20 pm
Alfredm .

Default Re: cycling around Langkawi

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Hi, We are off to Thailand and Malaysia next march/april.While we are on Langkawi
    > we would like to do abit of biking to visit some of the more out of the way
    > beaches.We are staying near the top of the west coast of the island.Has anyone any
    > info on how easy Langkawi is to bike around?? [i read some where there are bike
    > lanes??? ] any scenic beaches to go to Also is it quite safe to go biking on your
    > own??. Thanks very much sue

In 2000 I didn't see any bike lanes in Langkawi's west coast.
--

Alfred Molon Remove the obvious to email

Olympus C4040 online resource at http://www.molon.de/4040.html Photo galleries at
http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm

Old Aug 3rd 2002, 2:20 am
T Wong

My impression is that Langkawi is quite flat and traffic is light (at least when I
was there a couple of years ago). Quite suitable for biking I think.

rubies42 ¼g¤J¡G

> Hi, We are off to Thailand and Malaysia next march/april.While we are on Langkawi
    > beaches.We are staying near the top of the west coast of the island.Has anyone any
    > info on how easy Langkawi is to bike around?? [i read some where there are bike
    > lanes??? ] any scenic beaches to go to Also is it quite safe to go biking on your
    >
    > --

Old Aug 4th 2002, 8:20 am
Gerrit

rubies42 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >
    >
    > --

We were on Langkawi in 2000 but cannot remember seeing any bikes. Lots of small motor
bikes though. Most of the roads are rather narrow without any bike lanes. Cars do not
travel at excessive speeds so biking should be relatively safe. Most roads are almost
flat except for the road to the top of the highest hill/mountain. Don't forget it is
humid on Langkawi and riding a bike could be unpleasantly hot. If you go take lots of
bottled water with you. You could bike to several of the waterfalls (short climbs)
and to some of the other beaches. Don't forget that most of the good beaches are on
private property at a resort. Don't know whether they like "outsiders" to use "their"
beach. Along the north coast is a beach with black sand. I wouldn't go swimming
there. The beach is full of rubbish. I haven't really wanted to put you off but on
rereading what I have read I come to the conclusion that biking on Langkawi is
probably not suvch a good idea. We hired a car and drove that along most roads at
about 40kph. If someone came up behind we generally pulled over. We weren't in a
hurry! It is possible to hire a small motor bike even cheaper than a car but that
is dangerous than ordinary bike. Gerrit

Old Aug 4th 2002, 5:20 pm
Jan

rubies42 wrote:

We always mean to hire cycles when we visit Langkawi- never get round to it cos its
far too hot and humid !!! Better to hire a small step thru motorbike, the locals
don't rush and are used to tourists "poodling" around. Do wear crash hats Though.
Hire cheaply from Cenang beach, also cycle hire. The really really nice beach on the
North coast is Pantai Rhu. If you haven't already booked your accomodation then I'd
recommend you stay at Pantai Cenang, There are some resort hotels, also cheap chalets
on the beach. You'd be in easy walking distance of the main restaurants etc. its a
good beach too! If you're thinking of staying near Barau bay or at the Datai.These
are also the hilly bits. You will be reliant on the resorts facilities ( and
charges!!!) We had 2 nights at Barau bay this year,- airline deal- whilst it is a
lovely spot, we did feel isolated and were glad when we moved down to Cenang Beach
with its excellent( cheap) food stalls, internet access etc. Remember if you need
cash the nearest ATM (to the tourist areas) is at the airport. There are several as
well in Kuah. HTH

--
Jan _o -\<, () / ()