Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Corruption at Embassies

Corruption at Embassies

Old Feb 10th 2012, 10:07 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of
Default Corruption at Embassies

How do you deal with corruption at embassies?

Low-level local staff in developing countries might ask for money before you can get consular service. So, even though you are British and counselor is British, you cannot see the counselor because local staff is the middle man blocking the way.

For me, it is a real worry when I travel around South East Asia.

One solution is to go to the embassy of friendly but lower profile country. For example, when U.S embassy was overran in Iran back in the 70s, Americans sought help from Canadian embassy.

Last edited by Paul2O; Feb 10th 2012 at 10:14 am.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 10:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corruption at Embassies

Originally Posted by Paul2O

Low-level local staff in developing countries might ask for money before you can get consular service. So, even though you are British and counselor is British, you cannot see the counselor because local staff is the middle man blocking the way.

I cannot for the life of me imagine why you have posted this in a forum about Australia? I've moved it to the Barbie, which at least has a wider audience
Old Feb 10th 2012, 10:18 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I cannot for the life of me imagine why you have posted this in a forum about Australia? I've moved it to the Barbie, which at least has a wider audience
Sorry, I know it is a sensitive question, but I think it is useful to discuss about it. Perhaps, we can move it to "Far East and Asia" forum?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 10:42 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

O.K I'll move it for you
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul2O

One solution is to go to the embassy of friendly but lower profile country. For example, when U.S embassy was overran in Iran back in the 70s, Americans sought help from Canadian embassy.
I have travelled all over the world and can honestly say I have never been inside an embassy. I'm not sure what services you may be looking for in the embassy that "low level local staff" are blocking you from getting.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:38 pm
Emeritus Senior Minister

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I have travelled all over the world and can honestly say I have never been inside an embassy. I'm not sure what services you may be looking for in the embassy that "low level local staff" are blocking you from getting.
Please allow me to explain.

1) A couple from developing country "A" was sponsored by parents who were U.S. citizens. When the couple went to U.S. embassy in developing country "A" to get visa, it was delayed for no reason. After a year delay, parents were furious. They hired an immigration lawyer and complained to State Department. After that, visa was granted suddenly with no explanation. The couple suspected that local staff never passed the visa application to American counselor. When parents in U.S. complained to State Department, American counselor became aware of the situation and over-ruled the local staff.

2) A woman from developing country "A" was sponsored by husband who was studying in Australia. When the woman went to Australian embassy in developing country "A" to get visa, it was delayed for no reason. Now, the husband is considering complaining to DIAC in Australia.

In both cases, the victims suspected that local staff was waiting for bribes before they pass the applications to American/Australian counselors. Of course, they cannot prove it as local staff never ask for money directly. Visa was delayed for no reason. And, in developing country "A", when things are delayed for no apprent reason, it means a bribe is needed. Even though American/Aussie counselors were not corrupted, their local underlings were. The forms were never passed to counselors, so counselors were not even aware of these applicants and never in the position to deny/grant the visas.

And, my OH is from developing country "A", so I have vested interest in these kind of things.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:00 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

It's common practice in many countries.
When my folks were sailing around the world they had to keep supplies of U.S dollars stashed about themselves in order to pay low ranking officials. Simple things like getting a roller reef system out of customs, needing to apply for new Passports after being robbed or simply being stopped by local police & forced to pay a bribe for being a white tourist.
Importing part of a self furling set up cost my dad 3 days in prison until he bribed officials to give him consular access. He then had to grease everyone's palm when a simple $10 buck bribe would have got him the item immediately, lesson learned; You can't avoid them you just need to research the appropriate amounts
In this instance I smell our old mate though
Old Feb 13th 2012, 4:19 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

never personally had to deal with corruption at an embassy, crossing borders, particluarly Cambodia is another story entirely
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
never personally had to deal with corruption at an embassy, crossing borders, particluarly Cambodia is another story entirely
See, I had no trouble at all crossing from Thailand into Cambodia. Crossing from Cambodia into Viet Nam was a bit of a hassle, but not really a big deal.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:48 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

See, I had no trouble at all crossing from Thailand into Cambodia. Crossing from Cambodia into Viet Nam was a bit of a hassle, but not really a big deal.
it might depend on the place where you cross. At Aranya Pratet I've never had a problem but at Chong Jom and Haad Lek I have had problems every time. It's usually the guy wanting a fee to let you in even though you have already got a visa. Last time at Haad Lek we had a stand off when I refused to pay and the guy came up with the idea that I went free as a foreigner but my wife and kids had to pay as they were Thai. This was before Thais went free without a visa anyway but the Kids' ( under 12 ) visas were still free anyway. Again I refused and he eventually let us through. Much as I like Cambodia, if the government wants to develop it as a destination they really need to put a stop to all this because that is the first impression people get of the country.