British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Far East and Asia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/far-east-asia-59/)
-   -   Cong An Militia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/far-east-asia-59/cong-militia-891075/)

thegioididong Feb 3rd 2017 3:55 pm

Cong An Militia

Hello everyone, I was living in HCMC for about 2 years. I was in the middle of getting my WP processed, completed all the long winded paperwork. It was soon to be processed and then one night out of the blue (after 11:00pm) there was a loud knock at the door, it was a police officer with a security stooge. I was thinking what the heck,is going on and he said "passpo" so I got my passport and he pulled out a form. What's this, I asked. He said I wasn't registered to this address, but I was registered and showed him the residency registration form with the red stamp, and I know my landlord didn't fake it and it was legit because I used this very form to prove my residence for my local background check at the department of justice and I was granted my background check as one of the requirements for the WP. I also showed the police officer my background check to show I had done nothing wrong but then he said "not your problem, landlord problem" so if it's the landlord's problem why didn't he go to the landlord's house. He then asked me to sign a form which I didn't understand as it was all in Vietnamese and I simply said I don't understand it and I don't want to sign something I don't understand and they started laughing. Who the heck knows what I was signing. I then asked for him to come back tomorrow so I could get a translator and he said no. I called my landlord and let them talk it out. He started shouting at my landlord on the phone and then hung up. He still insisted I sign the form and would not go or give me my passport back unless I did. I signed it with "signed under protest" in English. After I signed it and handed it back the security guard laughed and gestured his baton arrogantly and they both left.

This is the form they wanted me to sign:

http://i.imgur.com/PjAjPQV.jpg

The next day my landlord had to pay a fine of 3 million VND. It goes to show in an unstable place like this you have have all the legit paperwork in the world but the "Law" can come in and mess with you anytime. I wouldn't be surprised if there were cases where they pinned something on someone, blackmailed and extorted them. Who could stop them? No one.

I was willing to ignore the xenophobia and hostility. Yes after the first few months of the novelty of being here wore off as the ugly truth about this place seeped through the cracks. But I was willing to ignore the rudeness questions asked by colleagues, taxi drivers and random people, "why you come Vietnam?", "What are you doing in Vietnam?" (It was obviously not just the questions but the in in which they asked them) Which was asked with pure venom and hatred on their face. I tried to focus on the few nice people here. I had an open mind and even when my patience was pushed I kept my cool because I'm in a foreign land. But when it comes to legality and police messing with you whenever they want without recourse, that is when I draw the line. This is not my country, this is not your country, we are just foreigners. I'm very angry and upset about this, up until this point I was very settled and felt like this is my home, but it's not mine and if your a foreigner it's not yours too. The irresponsibility of my landlord was infuriating, he had absolutely so sense of privacy. A few weeks ago when he got my residency paper, he couldn't be bothered to wait for me, he just gave to it my neighbour. They were complete strangers to me and it had all my details on. Anyway I went back to the UK for Christmas and New Year. And I have my WP and can apply for a 2 year TRC but I decided I'm not coming back to this humid, hostile, glorified cesspit covered in an artificial, attractive, shiny coating and wrapped up in fake friendliness, smiles and hospitality. They can shove their WP and 2 years TRC where the sun doesn't shine as far as I'm concerned.

I think if you are a single guy living alone in this place you are very vulnerable. I absolutely would not recommend it. Go somewhere more civilized, developed and with less hostility and hatred towards foreigners.

christmasoompa Feb 3rd 2017 4:24 pm

Re: Cong An Militia

Hi, I've approved your post now, but deleted the other 6 duplicates! :lol: If your post has been put in the mod queue, please just be patient and wait for a mod to approve it rather than posting again.

Thx.

thegioididong Feb 3rd 2017 4:30 pm

Alright then cheers

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12170062)
Hi, I've approved your post now, but deleted the other 6 duplicates! :lol: If your post has been put in the mod queue, please just be patient and wait for a mod to approve it rather than posting again.

Thx.

morpeth Feb 3rd 2017 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by thegioididong (Post 12170032)
Hello everyone, I was living in HCMC for about 2 years. I was in the middle of getting my WP processed, completed all the long winded paperwork. It was soon to be processed and then one night out of the blue (after 11:00pm) there was a loud knock at the door, it was a police officer with a security stooge. I was thinking what the heck,is going on and he said "passpo" so I got my passport and he pulled out a form. What's this, I asked. He said I wasn't registered to this address, but I was registered and showed him the residency registration form with the red stamp, and I know my landlord didn't fake it and it was legit because I used this very form to prove my residence for my local background check at the department of justice and I was granted my background check as one of the requirements for the WP. I also showed the police officer my background check to show I had done nothing wrong but then he said "not your problem, landlord problem" so if it's the landlord's problem why didn't he go to the landlord's house. He then asked me to sign a form which I didn't understand as it was all in Vietnamese and I simply said I don't understand it and I don't want to sign something I don't understand and they started laughing. Who the heck knows what I was signing. I then asked for him to come back tomorrow so I could get a translator and he said no. I called my landlord and let them talk it out. He started shouting at my landlord on the phone and then hung up. He still insisted I sign the form and would not go or give me my passport back unless I did. I signed it with "signed under protest" in English. After I signed it and handed it back the security guard laughed and gestured his baton arrogantly and they both left.

This is the form they wanted me to sign:

http://i.imgur.com/PjAjPQV.jpg

The next day my landlord had to pay a fine of 3 million VND. It goes to show in an unstable place like this you have have all the legit paperwork in the world but the "Law" can come in and mess with you anytime. I wouldn't be surprised if there were cases where they pinned something on someone, blackmailed and extorted them. Who could stop them? No one.

I was willing to ignore the xenophobia and hostility. Yes after the first few months of the novelty of being here wore off as the ugly truth about this place seeped through the cracks. But I was willing to ignore the rudeness questions asked by colleagues, taxi drivers and random people, "why you come Vietnam?", "What are you doing in Vietnam?" (It was obviously not just the questions but the in in which they asked them) Which was asked with pure venom and hatred on their face. I tried to focus on the few nice people here. I had an open mind and even when my patience was pushed I kept my cool because I'm in a foreign land. But when it comes to legality and police messing with you whenever they want without recourse, that is when I draw the line. This is not my country, this is not your country, we are just foreigners. I'm very angry and upset about this, up until this point I was very settled and felt like this is my home, but it's not mine and if your a foreigner it's not yours too. The irresponsibility of my landlord was infuriating, he had absolutely so sense of privacy. A few weeks ago when he got my residency paper, he couldn't be bothered to wait for me, he just gave to it my neighbour. They were complete strangers to me and it had all my details on. Anyway I went back to the UK for Christmas and New Year. And I have my WP and can apply for a 2 year TRC but I decided I'm not coming back to this humid, hostile, glorified cesspit covered in an artificial, attractive, shiny coating and wrapped up in fake friendliness, smiles and hospitality. They can shove their WP and 2 years TRC where the sun doesn't shine as far as I'm concerned.

I think if you are a single guy living alone in this place you are very vulnerable. I absolutely would not recommend it. Go somewhere more civilized, developed and with less hostility and hatred towards foreigners.

try Colombia or Philippines would be my suggestion

thegioididong Feb 4th 2017 4:02 am

You live there?

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12170436)
try Colombia or Philippines would be my suggestion

Thairetired2016 Feb 4th 2017 7:56 am

Originally Posted by thegioididong (Post 12170550)
You live there?

Are you serious? Can't be.

morpeth Feb 4th 2017 9:11 am

Originally Posted by thegioididong (Post 12170550)
You live there?

I only mention Philippines as I would guess your original reason for choosing Vietnam would be better served in the Philippines as I have spent some time there. There are some threads on BE that have people posting who live there.

I have spent and do spend time in Colombia which I know quite well. Area around Medellin has to be one of best areas in the world in my opinion to live in if one wants the benefits of the third world but combined with basic benefits one would want in the first world. Excellent weather, affordable and good medical care, friendly people, all first world amenities in the town center, expat community if desired but also locals with a reasonable education level.

morpeth Feb 4th 2017 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12170627)
Are you serious? Can't be.

Where ?

thegioididong Feb 4th 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks for the comment and advice.

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12170668)
I only mention Philippines as I would guess your original reason for choosing Vietnam would be better served in the Philippines as I have spent some time there. There are some threads on BE that have people posting who live there.

I have spent and do spend time in Colombia which I know quite well. Area around Medellin has to be one of best areas in the world in my opinion to live in if one wants the benefits of the third world but combined with basic benefits one would want in the first world. Excellent weather, affordable and good medical care, friendly people, all first world amenities in the town center, expat community if desired but also locals with a reasonable education level.

thegioididong Feb 4th 2017 2:04 pm

Can someone please delete this thread?