Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Best asian country for a single man in his 30s?

Best asian country for a single man in his 30s?

Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

frogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to all
Default Re: Best asian country for a single man in his 30s?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
A lot of what you write is of course true..but do you really consider the values and respect unique to Thailand? Surely it's more in line with Asian values.
On a personal level always found Indonesians more welcoming than Thais.
Do hope your family settle well in France. It was my ex home prior to Australia.(28)
No I don't think those values are unique to Thailand, hope I didn't imply that, it's definitely an Asian thing. At least that's my impression from travelling around SE Asia.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Barryr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by danjones1
I am no weirdo!

I am just seeking somewhere to hang out for a few years. Women isn't the main thing!
your post said otherwise to a lot of the guys here
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:38 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
I am looking at moving to somewhere in Asia, what I need is somewhere cheapish, with good broadband to do my job and sunshine!

I am also single and keen to get involved in the dating scene so I was wondering which countries had an abundance of single Asian women who still adore the western man!

Thanks guys!

p.s. I do not mean prostitutes either.
I take it Dan that you don’t have a lot of experience in Asia….

You seem to be looking to trade home comforts (and trust me, living in Asia means losing home comforts) for sunshine and easy access to girls.

To be honest – you might do better with Corrie and fish and chips. The sun gives you melanomas and the girls give you clap.

WRT to the girls who “adore the western man”, in my opinion you can break Asian girls into 4 groups:

1. Wealthy high class girls who wont even speak to you unless you were at Oxford with them, or know their brother via Harvard. Any attempt to even speak with them will see you pushed away by their bodyguard.

2. An ever growing middle class of girls, who may talk to you, but won’t play rumbly tumbly until you marry them. These girls have morals that make Queen Victoria look like a player. You might stand a chance if they are divorced or have family problems, but other than that they will just practice their English on you.

3. The poor working class kampung girls, who will smile sweetly but run a mile if you make a move, and probably can’t speak English anyway. The family won’t like you, and the rest of the village will make sure you wont get a chance to be alone with one.

4. The prostitutes, bar girls, good time girls, desperate girls etc. You can get one for almost nothing. $2 will get you an all night session with a girl from the railway tracks, and a host of communicable diseases to match. $2000 will buy you one who looks like a supermodel. Some don’t even act or look like prostitutes. They make you feel special, they laugh at you jokes, they flirt and tease, they make you feel like a teenager, they make you happy when you are sad. Sooner or later you realise its all done to get access to your wallet, and they are very good at emptying it.

So you end up in a country with laws you don’t understand, where everyone skims money off you, where crossing the road ranks as a hazardous sport, where TV is crap and you have to fly out to renew your visa every 30 days.

All for easy access to $2 girls……
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Barryr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool

You seem to be looking to trade home comforts (and trust me, living in Asia means losing home comforts) for sunshine and easy access to girls.

To be honest – you might do better with Corrie and fish and chips. The sun gives you melanomas and the girls give you clap.

WRT to the girls who “adore the western man”, in my opinion you can break Asian girls into 4 groups:

1. Wealthy high class girls who wont even speak to you unless you were at Oxford with them, or know their brother via Harvard. Any attempt to even speak with them will see you pushed away by their bodyguard.

2. An ever growing middle class of girls, who may talk to you, but won’t play rumbly tumbly until you marry them. These girls have morals that make Queen Victoria look like a player. You might stand a chance if they are divorced or have family problems, but other than that they will just practice their English on you.

3. The poor working class kampung girls, who will smile sweetly but run a mile if you make a move, and probably can’t speak English anyway. The family won’t like you, and the rest of the village will make sure you wont get a chance to be alone with one.

4. The prostitutes, bar girls, good time girls, desperate girls etc. You can get one for almost nothing. $2 will get you an all night session with a girl from the railway tracks, and a host of communicable diseases to match. $2000 will buy you one who looks like a supermodel. Some don’t even act or look like prostitutes. They make you feel special, they laugh at you jokes, they flirt and tease, they make you feel like a teenager, they make you happy when you are sad. Sooner or later you realise its all done to get access to your wallet, and they are very good at emptying it.

So you end up in a country with laws you don’t understand, where everyone skims money off you, where crossing the road ranks as a hazardous sport, where TV is crap and you have to fly out to renew your visa every 30 days.

excellent reply...
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Very well summed up.

You will also hear many tales of conquest regarding categories 1 & 2 - 99.999% of these will be bullshit. Wealthy Asians are seriously wealthy by Western standards, they don't need bedraggled westerners. And there is no way in hell most of them would be seen dead with a westerner because of the connotations, let alone introduce them to their friends or family.

Category 3, I think, are more easily available, however the cultural differences can be so big that any relationship is doomed to failure unless one or both parties compromise immensely.

Category 4 girls are a complete lottery, but tend to be quite Westernised and attuned to what you want. They also tend to be a bit shunned from their own society so can actually be easier for Westerners to get along with.

And on the whole, in my experience, any Asian girl that is looking for a western man is carrying some sort of emotional baggage or has had bad experiences or problems in her own society.

There are exceptions, but in general this is how things are.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:15 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Category 3, I think, are more easily available, however the cultural differences can be so big that any relationship is doomed to failure unless one or both parties compromise immensely.
Yes, but category 3 arrive with an entire family who move into your home.

The family insist on eating local delicacies, most of which are on the endangered species or hazardous waste lists. You go hungry to survive.

Her brother takes your car, her father takes your whisky, and you pay for everything that goes wrong in the kampong: sick buffalos, girls who need school uniforms, boys who need apprenticeships.

Her mother dislikes you, and scowls all the time. Her daughter should have married a local and you bring shame to the family.

Her father treats your home like his, including selling off the contents when you aren’t looking.

The younger sister flirts with you, then when you ignore her tells your wife you made a pass at her.

Your wife has a baby, and there isn’t a trace of farang/bule in its face. In fact it looks remarkably like your wifes first boyfriend, who now works as a handyman in your house, doing the jobs that your father in law could do if he ever got sober.

In desperation you take your wife back home to England. Within months she leaves you for a rich local.

You try to sell the house you bought in Asia, only to discover its actually in your father in laws name due to local ownership restrictions.

Stick to Corrie and fish and chips.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:45 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Bangladesh is the place to go.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

Please tell us why ? I thought it was overcrowded and flooded most of the time.
I am sure there must be some positives though !
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

just to add the other side to the story there are also many Europeans who find loving relationships with asian women.

Myself included, although my wife is not from S.E.Asia and we married before moving out to Singapore
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Barryr
excellent reply...
I will second that.

But only as long as we are talking about South East Asia.

Things look a bit different when considering developed Asian countries like Japan, Korea or China (I know that the last one might fit somewhere in between but has a large part of population with a relatively high standard of living).

Also your perception by the locals changes a lot when you are a part of society there.

I know these are not the places where ona can go and bum around for a few years like OP was dreaming about but as far as girls/women are concerned things there are different.

Definitely your chances of having to deal with sick buffalo are pretyy much non existant there.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:32 am
Not allowed opinions.

I agree, in fact I am married to a Japanese girl, and she is the best thing ever in my life. I don’t get the sick buffalo story, although there is still a cultural shock once you move into rural Japan, and my wife still does some very strange things.

I did enjoy my years of working across Asia, and the girls I met made for a lot of the enjoyment.

Heres to happy days, and for all the girls I kissed at dawn, I meant what I said.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

I agree, in fact I am married to a Japanese girl, and she is the best thing ever in my life. I don’t get the sick buffalo story, although there is still a cultural shock once you move into rural Japan, and my wife still does some very strange things.

I did enjoy my years of working across Asia, and the girls I met made for a lot of the enjoyment.

Heres to happy days, and for all the girls I kissed at dawn, I meant what I said.
Met my wife in China, we worked together (as equals, she was pretty high up in her company) for a long time before things happened.

Same thing about best thing happening to me. Yest there are cultural differences that have to be worked out but it sometimes works out well.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
Japan, Korea or China
They bring a whole new set of problems though.

I think the bottom line is you have to go in with your eyes open to all the problems and be realistic about the girls, they are completely different from Western girls in terms of priorities and cultural ideals.

It's also very easy to be jaded by the bad stories, but then you have to realise that many Western men searching for Asian women haven't exactly been great catches either.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

They bring a whole new set of problems though.

I think the bottom line is you have to go in with your eyes open to all the problems and be realistic about the girls, they are completely different from Western girls in terms of priorities and cultural ideals.
I would say that there is less difference than people imagine.

It's also very easy to be jaded by the bad stories, but then you have to realise that many Western men searching for Asian women haven't exactly been great catches either.
You are absolutely correct.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
Met my wife in China, we worked together (as equals, she was pretty high up in her company) for a long time before things happened.

Same thing about best thing happening to me. Yest there are cultural differences that have to be worked out but it sometimes works out well.
My wife is from Central Asia. met through mutual friends whilst we both worked in Dubai.

ok we occasionally have the odd communication misunderstanding but culture wise there are not huge differences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.