Bangladesh

Old Apr 29th 2013, 11:47 am
Just Joined

NewWorld is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bangladesh

Hi my husband recently accepted a post to teach at an International School in Dhaka We are looking at being all moved in and settled there by the middle of August. We have a 13 year old daughter and 8 year old son who are really looking forward to the adventure. I am looking for any British expats out there at the moment who can give us a better picture of life in Dhaka. We are fully aware that it is a 3rd world country with its share of poverty and corrupt business men. However I think its going to be an educational experience for us as a family to see how people less fortunate than ourselves cope with their day to day lives. I will be happy to hear what others out there are thinking ....
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:37 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bangladesh

Hi there. Just to say Welcome to the forum . I'm not sure if we've ever had any posters in Bangladesh to be honest but...you never know....you may get a response.

All the best with your plans.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Thank You BakedBean< I have been looking back on the threads to see if anyone has posted anything about this place to no avail. Only just seen some posts about the factory collapsing last week - what an awful thing to of happened !!!

Anyway hope you enjoying your retirement and hope to see more replies here soon .

Cheers
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

My experience was a while a ago and only a vacation for a month in Bangladesh, not living, so limited use for you, but until something more appropriate comes along I will post anyway.

Bangladesh is probably the country with the least Europeans I have been too, I am sure there were Europeans of Bangladeshi origin, but I did not meet any, you do meet people with family in Europe.

I found the attention and staring difficult. At a railway station, you can quickly gather a crowd in excess of a hundred. They do not say anything, they just stare. Even in Dhaka, if I stopped to look at a map, I would gather a crowd.

I found it harder communicating in Bangladesh than other countries, middle class speak English, but there is a sudden drop off, and most do not speak a word, and body language was harder then in other countries, but I suppose if you are staying you will have time to learn some language and pick up on the body language to use.

There was kindness and interest. When stopping to chat with an English speaker, you will gather the usual crowd, but their will be lots of questions via interrupting.

Bangladesh is one of those countries where you find that sometimes, you do not have to pay your restaurant bill, because someone else has paid it, unannounced, and they have left, so you can not even thank them.

Oh yes, I had two small cases of theft.

one was small amount of money from my pocket in a crowd buying tickets, the other was a radio from my luggage on top of the bus, which was full of people travelling. In both cases my valuables were being guarded well, so I lost what I was prepared to sacrifice for convenience. Little impact on me, but two cases in a month is I think worthy of note and high, compared to other countries.

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 29th 2013 at 2:00 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:59 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a few days in Dhaka once and it's a pretty crazy place . Busy , hectic , poor , noisy . Very 3rd world . I'm sure once you get used to it it will be alright though . Good luck on your travels !!
Old May 1st 2013, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: Bangladesh

Originally Posted by kimilseung
My experience was a while a ago and only a vacation for a month in Bangladesh, not living, so limited use for you, but until something more appropriate comes along I will post anyway.

Bangladesh is probably the country with the least Europeans I have been too, I am sure there were Europeans of Bangladeshi origin, but I did not meet any, you do meet people with family in Europe.

I found the attention and staring difficult. At a railway station, you can quickly gather a crowd in excess of a hundred. They do not say anything, they just stare. Even in Dhaka, if I stopped to look at a map, I would gather a crowd.

I found it harder communicating in Bangladesh than other countries, middle class speak English, but there is a sudden drop off, and most do not speak a word, and body language was harder then in other countries, but I suppose if you are staying you will have time to learn some language and pick up on the body language to use.

There was kindness and interest. When stopping to chat with an English speaker, you will gather the usual crowd, but their will be lots of questions via interrupting.

Bangladesh is one of those countries where you find that sometimes, you do not have to pay your restaurant bill, because someone else has paid it, unannounced, and they have left, so you can not even thank them.

Oh yes, I had two small cases of theft.

one was small amount of money from my pocket in a crowd buying tickets, the other was a radio from my luggage on top of the bus, which was full of people travelling. In both cases my valuables were being guarded well, so I lost what I was prepared to sacrifice for convenience. Little impact on me, but two cases in a month is I think worthy of note and high, compared to other countries.

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am finding out quite a bit from expat bloggers so can confirm that not much has changed! However it isn't putting us of just allowing us to prepare for it. Guess I will be taking some Bengali lessons as soon as we arrive. I intend on joining an Expat Club as soon as we are settled as I have been told its one of the ways westerners maintain their sanity

We probably wont draw as much attention as yourself as I am Asian and my husband is mixed race . Both our kids look asian as well so aside from our accents we should fit right in

Anyway will be sure to update once we are there. Thanks again for your response.
Old May 1st 2013, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Bangladesh

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I spent a few days in Dhaka once and it's a pretty crazy place . Busy , hectic , poor , noisy . Very 3rd world . I'm sure once you get used to it it will be alright though . Good luck on your travels !!
Thanks for sharing! Yes So I have been told about it being crazy ! Think its going to be quite an education for us who take all the mod cons for granted in the west !
Old May 1st 2013, 2:03 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewWorld
H
We probably wont draw as much attention as yourself as I am Asian and my husband is mixed race . Both our kids look asian as well so aside from our accents we should fit right in

Anyway will be sure to update once we are there. Thanks again for your response.
They'll all be coming up and chatting to you in Bengali then Reminds me of one of my English friends (though she is racially Indian). She moved to southern Malaysia and she was telling me on Skype, everyone keeps coming up to her and talking in Malay . She doesn't speak a word of it.
Old May 1st 2013, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Yes BakedBean ! We are quite expecting that even here when we go for an Indian the waiters are always asking me whether I am from India ! Actually I was born in South Africa and moved to England about 12 years ago !