Is Asia now unaffordable?

Is Asia now unaffordable?

Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

SvampBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Asia now unaffordable?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Must say when last in George Town,on Penang Island
found it to have gone of the boil some what(quiet)compared to the late seventies and early eighties when it had a real buzz and was an excelent place to hang out.
A lot of the inner city population have been moved out.from what i was told to high rises in the burbs.
What ever Penang Road was a shade of what it once was.
That would have been in 2003.
Make Malaysia your second home looks on the face of it a good policy for those that want to retire in that country.
I can agree that Penang is a boring place in the long run. There is no nightlife to talk about except upper Penang Rd. Sometimes the area is fun. As you say and many like you talk about the good old days in Georgetown. The old parts of Georgetown is sens 2008 on the World Heritage list and paint and restoring is on the agenda to make it nicer. Although I'm a writer, or at least trying to be, the place is a excellent place to recover and focus on other things after a period of traveling. Everything is very good there except the fun factor if one wants to party. But having fun in bars is exhausting and gets boring also and I have found out about myself is that I have a much more existential kick if I go to different places and have a place to come back to that have nothing in that way except all the other good things like: weather, food, people etc...
Save money for a mouth or so and than... hello, Jakarta! (for example)
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:32 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SvampBob
I can agree that Penang is a boring place in the long run.
So which part of Malaysia are you moving to SvampBob?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I can agree that Penang is a boring place in the long run. There is no nightlife to talk about except upper Penang Rd. Sometimes the area is fun. As you say and many like you talk about the good old days in Georgetown. The old parts of Georgetown is sens 2008 on the World Heritage list and paint and restoring is on the agenda to make it nicer. Although I'm a writer, or at least trying to be, the place is a excellent place to recover and focus on other things after a period of traveling. Everything is very good there except the fun factor if one wants to party. But having fun in bars is exhausting and gets boring also and I have found out about myself is that I have a much more existential kick if I go to different places and have a place to come back to that have nothing in that way except all the other good things like: weather, food, people etc...
Save money for a mouth or so and than... hello, Jakarta! (for example)
Melaka is a nice place to kick back for a while..not in the sense of being exciting..but the people living there and history of the city make it an interesting alternative that is often over looked.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Melaka is a nice place to kick back for a while..not in the sense of being exciting..but the people living there and history of the city make it an interesting alternative that is often over looked.
Thank you for the suggestion on Melaka, the troubadour. I have done some research about the place. Looks very good indeed!
What I like about the suburb of KL and perhaps Kajang or Bangi is the closeness to all the embassies in KL. But
communication seems to be a problem from these places in to KL and now maby I don't bother about that.

Do you now if there is any visa services in Melaka?
Did you work there before?
What do you now about Kajang, Bangi?

I saw Melaka also have Satay!
(a dish Kajang is famous for)
Penang have not.

katongkaren
, I hope you also can see the answer in this message i.e. I'm fumbling in darkness, so to speak!

Regards
SvampBob

Last edited by SvampBob; Jan 21st 2009 at 10:14 am.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the suggestion on Melaka, the troubadour. I have done some research about the place. Looks very good indeed!
What I like about the suburb of KL and perhaps Kajang or Bangi is the closeness to all the embassies in KL. But
communication seems to be a problem from these places in to KL and now maby I don't bother about that.

Do you now if there is any visa services in Melaka?
Did you work there before?

I saw Melaka also have Satay!
Penang have not.

katongkaren
, I hope you also can see the answer in this message i.e. I'm fumbling in darkness, so to speak!

Regards
SvampBob
My first wife was from Melaka which was originally how i became involved with that city and indeed Malaysia.
We purchased a house there in a Melaka suburb(Bukit Bruang) which was being newly built while there.
I could not obtain a working visa at that time even though married to a citizen, the immigration looked at my finances very carefully and did manage to obtain a six month visa at one go but for the remainder of time was two or three months but no matter Singapore was near and would go there for forty eight hours then return.
Or went to Thailand or Indonesia.
I am trying to remember if an Indonesian Consulate was in Melaka or not..Think there was but cannot be sure.
But it was possible to get a boat across the Straits to Sumutra at least it was at that time.
But remember KL is not far by road and can get by long distance taxi quickly.
I must return to Melaka and look at the river developments which just commenced when last there back in 2003.(holiday)
But going back further i have some wonderful memories from the time lived there made more often than not by some of the amazing characters that i came across there such friendly people.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

My first wife was from Melaka which was originally how i became involved with that city and indeed Malaysia.
We purchased a house there in a Melaka suburb(Bukit Bruang) which was being newly built while there.
I could not obtain a working visa at that time even though married to a citizen, the immigration looked at my finances very carefully and did manage to obtain a six month visa at one go but for the remainder of time was two or three months but no matter Singapore was near and would go there for forty eight hours then return.
Or went to Thailand or Indonesia.
I am trying to remember if an Indonesian Consulate was in Melaka or not..Think there was but cannot be sure.
But it was possible to get a boat across the Straits to Sumutra at least it was at that time.
But remember KL is not far by road and can get by long distance taxi quickly.
I must return to Melaka and look at the river developments which just commenced when last there back in 2003.(holiday)
But going back further i have some wonderful memories from the time lived there made more often than not by some of the amazing characters that i came across there such friendly people.
Yes, I now the problems being married with a Malaysian woman. Not that I have been but I have read on other forums that is not an advantage for you as a foreigner to be. That's very strange. In Thailand, now days, its a must! But things are changing there and makes it more difficult. For me, staying solo is not difficult. Have a girlfriend wold be nice in Malaysia but that would be as far i go. I now of some, like you, married a malay girl as in 2008 did not get the MM2H scheme because they were married with a malay woman, How strange is that on a scale? We should not get any deeper than that, maby. Malaysia and their government is also another discussion. I feel for the Chines and the Indians population and by history are also Malaysian but get so neglected.

BTW, thank you for talk about you life there!
Were do you live nowadays?
I read earlier you mentioned Panama, are you there now?

Regards
SvampBob
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:16 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Two of our best friends, who we met whilst we were living in Singapore, used to live for many years in Kajang and they absolutely loved it there. I would guess this would have been about 5 or 6 years ago. They said it was a good bustling town, lots of eateries and bars, and a big Chinese Malaysian community. Sorry, hope I'm not being politically incorrect here - but they are Brits and drinkers - and obviously Chinese Malaysians (and Indians and Eurasians of course) are good company in bars

SvampBob, do hope you'll post your findings when you're located there. I and I'm sure a lot of others will be interested to hear.

On my part, I'm happy with life in Phuket (couldn't afford to move anyway) but always keep info on Plan Bs - just in case things change
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, I now the problems being married with a Malaysian woman. Not that I have been but I have read on other forums that is not an advantage for you as a foreigner to be. That's very strange. In Thailand, now days, its a must! But things are changing there and makes it more difficult. For me, staying solo is not difficult. Have a girlfriend wold be nice in Malaysia but that would be as far i go. I now of some, like you, married a malay girl as in 2008 did not get the MM2H scheme because they were married with a malay woman, How strange is that on a scale? We should not get any deeper than that, maby. Malaysia and their government is also another discussion. I feel for the Chines and the Indians population and by history are also Malaysian but get so neglected.

BTW, thank you for talk about you life there!
Were do you live nowadays?
I read earlier you mentioned Panama, are you there now?

Regards
SvampBob
Actually my first wife was a Malaysian Chinese,we met in London to where she had come to study.She had gone to a English language school in Melaka so was fully anglised in language and to a large part thought.
The Malaysian government had made it very difficult for non bumiputras,(Chinese and Indians in the main)to go to unis owing to strict quotas putting Malay ethnics way ahead of others.
Other races needed to study overseas to get an education.Reason was to address the economic imbalance as the Chinese ran a lot of the economy and the Malay tended to work the land or be fisherman.
From what i have heard it has eased up somewhat now but do not have the most recent facts to hand.
Yes i am interested in Panama at least for a look..but have never been there to date..nor any of the Americas.
At this time i live in the inner city of Perth,West Australia with my wife a German national.It is ok.....but hardly my sort of place ....shall we say boring?
Two other places that i have not been to yet Sabah and Sarawak on the island that was called Borneo in British times could also be worth a look at.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Two of our best friends, who we met whilst we were living in Singapore, used to live for many years in Kajang and they absolutely loved it there. I would guess this would have been about 5 or 6 years ago. They said it was a good bustling town, lots of eateries and bars, and a big Chinese Malaysian community. Sorry, hope I'm not being politically incorrect here - but they are Brits and drinkers - and obviously Chinese Malaysians (and Indians and Eurasians of course) are good company in bars

SvampBob, do hope you'll post your findings when you're located there. I and I'm sure a lot of others will be interested to hear.

On my part, I'm happy with life in Phuket (couldn't afford to move anyway) but always keep info on Plan Bs - just in case things change
Thank you for giving me positive vibrations on my curiosity about Kajang,katongkaren.
Yeas, the town is still on my favorite list so far and it is nice to hear that so many Brits have made it there!
Its always a good thing having other westerners around you and talk to. No question about that!
Australians, Kiwis and many Brits are amogst the nices people you can meet! And many also play Golf like
me. When I have lookt down on Kajang with google earth I think I could see about 7 golf courses within easy
distans.
Rent a home, get a membership, eat some Satay and than tee of,,,, fouuuuur!
All year around!

I want to move now but the accident I had in Cambodia forces me to bee here in Sweden couple of more mouth.
To bad... the Mercury is exactly right now on 0 degrees Celsius an the forecast for tomorrow is snow!

When I'm settled in Malaysia, i will wright about it. Absolutely!

Cheers
SvampBob
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Actually my first wife was a Malaysian Chinese,we met in London to where she had come to study.She had gone to a English language school in Melaka so was fully anglised in language and to a large part thought.
The Malaysian government had made it very difficult for non bumiputras,(Chinese and Indians in the main)to go to unis owing to strict quotas putting Malay ethnics way ahead of others.
Other races needed to study overseas to get an education.Reason was to address the economic imbalance as the Chinese ran a lot of the economy and the Malay tended to work the land or be fisherman.
From what i have heard it has eased up somewhat now but do not have the most recent facts to hand.
Yes i am interested in Panama at least for a look..but have never been there to date..nor any of the Americas.
At this time i live in the inner city of Perth,West Australia with my wife a German national.It is ok.....but hardly my sort of place ....shall we say boring?
Two other places that i have not been to yet Sabah and Sarawak on the island that was called Borneo in British times could also be worth a look at.
Personally I have a somewhat difficult feeling being surrounded of Americans or talking to them. I don't now what it is. Wen they hear I'm not flaunted in English or if it is my dialect or something. I get the feeling they look at me as some sort of retarded. I avoid them to be honest.
Just saying this because Panama is a retiree heaven to many Americans and not many European, Aussies or Kiwis there I'm afraid. This is of course only what I feel for the idea of moving there. The same with most of the Philippines Iv heard.
Easy to get residency there though, in Panama. Only 200 USD required per mouth in government pension!

Despite the shortcomings of the Malaysian government and the "apartheid" behavior on its own people.... Its a great country!

Cheers
SvamBob
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Personally I have a somewhat difficult feeling being surrounded of Americans or talking to them. I don't now what it is. Wen they hear I'm not flaunted in English or if it is my dialect or something. I get the feeling they look at me as some sort of retarded. I avoid them to be honest.
Just saying this because Panama is a retiree heaven to many Americans and not many European, Aussies or Kiwis there I'm afraid. This is of course only what I feel for the idea of moving there. The same with most of the Philippines Iv heard.
Easy to get residency there though, in Panama. Only 200 USD required per mouth in government pension!

Despite the shortcomings of the Malaysian government and the "apartheid" behavior on its own people.... Its a great country!

Cheers
SvamBob
Fully agreed Malaysia has a whole lot going for it.Easy to communicate,safe(although did once have an attempted break in)and very easy to get around.
In fact you have got me thinking about Malaysia again..
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:40 am
Just Joined

neilmel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by katongkaren
I would have to agree with you regarding the visa rules. Thai visa rules are not for the faint hearted. On the face of it, Malaysia and Philippines have far better schemes for long-term stays. Be interesting to see if Malaysia continues with the 3 month continuous stays as other countries are tightening up rules in ASEAN countries (but do they ever agree within ASEAN )

Your English is not absolutely correct but perfectly understandable SvamBob. It is certainly far better than my Swedish
I have just settled in Kuala Lumpur after a few visits.Married to an Indian Malay,and have a loan free appartment.All my previous working life in the UK as a carpenter/multi skilled tradesman.I have O and A level standard of english. Can anyone suggest my approach to earning a few ringits.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Is Asia now unaffordable?

In fact you have got me thinking about Malaysia again..
-That's the spirit!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

I agree. Kota Kinabalu is a place that's looks very interesting. Haven't been there either.
Personally I'm not going for the MM2H. I now Sabah and Sarawak have a different system and are somewhat independent from the rest of Malaysia.
Would be interesting to hear from someone ho knows.
Is it possible to go and come back to this places like the rest of Malaysia?

BTW, issent Borneo now days also called Borneo... Like in the good old days?

Regards
SvampBob
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

rogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nice

Cheers
SvamBob
Hey Bob I'm an American and I'm not interested in surrounding you and forcing you to surrender...
I am married to a Chinese woman and we would retire to China except they don't want us with their very restrictive visa policy... We are now seriously considering Malaysia with or without MM2H... From everything I read it sounds very attractive...

Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.