Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Any regrets - retiring in Asia ?

Any regrets - retiring in Asia ?

Old May 4th 2008, 9:08 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any regrets - retiring in Asia ?

As the 'retire in Malaysia' thread seems to be a popular topic, and I've nothing better to do on this monsoony Sunday afternoon - have any of you retirees any regrets on moving to Asia? Do you miss Britain? Do you miss your previous home?

Myself - only 4 months into "retirement" (whatever that means), no regrets so far. Do I miss Britain - No. Do I miss my previous home (in Singapore) - not really, only the Mee Gorengs and Char Kway Teows lah (yum yum).
Old May 5th 2008, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

amienleo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any regrets - retiring in Asia ?

Originally Posted by katongkaren
As the 'retire in Malaysia' thread seems to be a popular topic, and I've nothing better to do on this monsoony Sunday afternoon - have any of you retirees any regrets on moving to Asia? Do you miss Britain? Do you miss your previous home?

Myself - only 4 months into "retirement" (whatever that means), no regrets so far. Do I miss Britain - No. Do I miss my previous home (in Singapore) - not really, only the Mee Gorengs and Char Kway Teows lah (yum yum).
I do not think anyone will miss their previous home very much.. expecially you are from Singapore. It is so near that you just need 2 hours flight to reach your destination!

Anyway Penang is famous for her food. So the Mee Goreng and Char Koay Toew here in Penang might be as good or even better.
Old May 7th 2008, 9:06 am
Account Closed

Yes will definitely take a trip to Penang one of these days (if only for the food!!). Thai food is lovely but I do miss some Malay/Straits Chinese/Nonya food.
Old May 7th 2008, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

amienleo is an unknown quantity at this point

Penang do have many nice Thai food too.. you shoud try it out!! Cheers!!
Old May 11th 2008, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Southseastrader is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by katongkaren

I have been here In the Island of Palawan which is a distant province of the Philippines for three years, and every day I have to pinch myself to discover if im dead in heaven or alive in heaven.

To have no climate or money worries plus to live with the most delightful english speaking people on earth is a privilege.Im still very Brit even after 30yrs in wonderful Canada.

Palwan is so inexpensive you live like a king on half your pension.

Sophisticated health proceedure are available in nearby singapore and manilla and insurance is available even to 68 yrs old and would be your only concern.

Recently i used a local hospital for gall bladder removal and the cost was 2000 pounds..

For men who find themselves alone at 65 the local Filipinas are Gods gift to menkind.

Last edited by Southseastrader; May 11th 2008 at 1:21 am.
Old May 11th 2008, 1:25 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Karen - I thought of you Friday as I tucked into my barbequed pork steamed bun. Moving a few train stops away from Chatswood was a very good move; if I get homesick for SEA I'm up there like a shot.

(Having fun here at the moment as car dealers, etc., say "I know that where you come from..." and we say "no, not really". Bet you have same same.)
Old May 15th 2008, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Davidrimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any regrets - retiring in Asia ?

Originally Posted by Southseastrader
I have been here In the Island of Palawan which is a distant province of the Philippines for three years, and every day I have to pinch myself to discover if im dead in heaven or alive in heaven.

To have no climate or money worries plus to live with the most delightful english speaking people on earth is a privilege.Im still very Brit even after 30yrs in wonderful Canada.

Palwan is so inexpensive you live like a king on half your pension.

Sophisticated health proceedure are available in nearby singapore and manilla and insurance is available even to 68 yrs old and would be your only concern.

Recently i used a local hospital for gall bladder removal and the cost was 2000 pounds..

For men who find themselves alone at 65 the local Filipinas are Gods gift to menkind.
I start my journey today heading initially to Thailand but your message has given my a heads up. For future reference what travel arrangements will I need to make.

Best wishes,

David:
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: San Fernando, La Union, Illocos Sur, Luzon, Philippines
slowsmile is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Davidrimmy
I start my journey today heading initially to Thailand but your message has given my a heads up. For future reference what travel arrangements will I need to make.

Best wishes,

David:
Hi everyone....I moved to San Fernando, Illocos Sur on Luzon in the Philippines two years ago - I was so fed up with UK. I just sold my house in UK and moved. Visas here are no problem, everyone understands English and it is very cheap here.Where I live is by the beach. I rent a three storey house for £135 pm with about five bedrooms and a huge living room and covered outside terrace. I live in the semi-provinces - there are few beach hotels, a wonderful wet and dry market, and my girlfriend buys fresh cheap fish directly from the fishermen off the beach.

Drinks and a posh meal out in a nice hotel costs about £5 per head . Beer is 20p a bottle. Cigarettes are 23p a pack(King Size) and a huge weekly shop(8 bags of groceries) costs £20. Petrol is 41p per litre.

There is no council tax, VAT(on some items only) is only 12%, no water or sewage rates - in fact I pay no taxes at all.

How does this compare to the dirge and slog of a "UK Lifestyle"?

....I've never been happier.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:59 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

You guyz that have settled in have done well and I bet you will remain happy and secure for ever. I'm not there yet but have moved to Gambia - which for the sake of argument will be my retirement place with some of the advantages posted.

Along the way I have seen a lot of people who have tried to make it in Gambia and just failed coz they can't fit in or can't cope. This must apply to PI or to Thai as well. Yes is is great to be retired but you have qualities that some people just don't have and courage too.

Good luck to you all.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Dandy will become famous soon enoughDandy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by slowsmile
How does this compare to the dirge and slog of a "UK Lifestyle"?
....I've never been happier.
I'm glad that you're happy. I just wanted to point out that "dirge and slog" isn't the experience of everybody or - going by the generally cheerful attitudes of my friends in the UK - even the majority. My mum, who is also retired, lives in a beautiful rural part of Britain, surrounded by friends and family and is very happy! Life is what you make it, wherever you are.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:44 am
Just Joined

Southseastrader is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
You guyz that have settled in have done well and I bet you will remain happy and secure for ever. I'm not there yet but have moved to Gambia - which for the sake of argument will be my retirement place with some of the advantages posted.

Along the way I have seen a lot of people who have tried to make it in Gambia and just failed coz they can't fit in or can't cope. This must apply to PI or to Thai as well. Yes is is great to be retired but you have qualities that some people just don't have and courage too.

Good luck to you all.
You hit nail on the head when you said many folks cant adjust. One has to be self reliant flexible and to stop being who you were to adjust to 3rd world.

Before making the leap go stay there for 3 months so that you are getting free of old expectations and are not a tourist.

Before leaving spend time in front of the mirror trying to see why you wish to move,Paradise is between our own two ears..

The same rules go for those of us that built a boat and headed offshore around the globe, can you handle real bad stuff coming at you..many expats quickly get into habit of bad mouthing the locals,and this becomes poison.

Its wonderful living with new nice people in great surroundings and now within a budget that permits dignity..but it takes work .So many folk on forums are asking the wrong questions...the only question is "can i adjust".
Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

wavetravel is an unknown quantity at this point

I really notice this a lot. Many Brits retire in Asia. What is it about Asia?
Old Jun 7th 2008, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by wavetravel
I really notice this a lot. Many Brits retire in Asia. What is it about Asia?
The smiling People, The wonderful Food, The Weather, the lower cost of living as cf. "Rip Off Britain", and if non-resident tax free UK Income.

If you are nearing retirement look at the Malaysian My Second Home (MM2H) Thread.

As many say, you have to adjust: but then living anywhere except your own Home town requires adjustment ....
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by djoerk
The smiling People, The wonderful Food, The Weather, the lower cost of living as cf. "Rip Off Britain", and if non-resident tax free UK Income.

If you are nearing retirement look at the Malaysian My Second Home (MM2H) Thread.

As many say, you have to adjust: but then living anywhere except your own Home town requires adjustment ....
Well said Djoerk
Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:14 am
Just Joined

walkyria is an unknown quantity at this point

I have retired too, have traveled in phi for 2 months now and still looking for a nice place to stay permanently at

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.