44yrs on.

Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Tanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really nice
Default 44yrs on.

Hello everybody,as you can see from the Title its 44yrs since i left H/K,but i
promised myself if i could i would return,well that is now going to happen as i leave Manchester on October 1st for 5 nights. I was stationed up at Shek Kong and only got down to the island for the ceremonial stuff and for the odd week end off,i understand from sources that i,m in for the biggest shock of my 63yr old life,but looking forward to it as you can imagine. Now less of the history and back to the real world,i understand the best way to get around is by using the MTR system and the bus service,as i need to get up to Sek Kong and Kam Tin,and can somebody explain the Octopus card i/e the benefits ect,
any help from you locals out there would help me out,;;;;many thanks
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 44yrs on.

Google, like.

But if you don't hire a car and I get the feeling you won't and taxis that distance are expensive you could take the MTR to Yuen Long and a bus or taxi from there.
If it was me I'd take the MTR to Tuen Wan then get to the bus station there and take a bus going over Route Twisk to Shek Kong, IIRC correctly there is a bus service that does that. That's the scenic route.
Or Tuen Wan bus station and the bus through the new tunnel to Shek Kong.
Travelling over Route Twisk you'll see the runway at the airforce base that was and the scenery and views are great.
Not much else at Shek Kong these days except a restaurant run by ex Gurkhas again iirc.
It's been 12 or more years since I was in HK so that's the best I can do.
I expect others will have a better idea.

And every time I travel west to east for 12 hours on a plane then jet lag grabs me for two days minimum.
Good luck I'm sure you'll be surprised but happy.

Last edited by ex reg; Jul 15th 2009 at 5:26 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Tanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really nice

Originally Posted by ex reg
Google, like.

But if you don't hire a car and I get the feeling you won't and taxis that distance are expensive you could take the MTR to Yuen Long and a bus or taxi from there.
If it was me I'd take the MTR to Tuen Wan then get to the bus station there and take a bus going over Route Twisk to Shek Kong, IIRC correctly there is a bus service that does that. That's the scenic route.
Or Tuen Wan bus station and the bus through the new tunnel to Shek Kong.
Travelling over Route Twisk you'll see the runway at the airforce base that was and the scenery and views are great.
Not much else at Shek Kong these days except a restaurant run by ex Gurkhas again iirc.
It's been 12 or more years since I was in HK so that's the best I can do.
I expect others will have a better idea.

And every time I travel west to east for 12 hours on a plane then jet lag grabs me for two days minimum.
Good luck I'm sure you'll be surprised but happy.
Many thanks for the info,the bus and train will take the strain,and the legs will do the rest,washed down with a few tiger,s beers,cheers.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:05 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Heck Tony - I first visited HK in 1997 (mate lived there, I went for the handover) and not again until 2007, and I noticed a difference then! You aren't going to know where you are.

This is a quiet little forum, not a lot of posters from the Far East - I'm ex-Singapore - but just wanted to wish you all the best for a fantastic trip down memory lane.

And yes, watch out for that jet-lag - don't plan too much into your first couple of days.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Seasider
Heck Tony - I first visited HK in 1997 (mate lived there, I went for the handover) and not again until 2007, and I noticed a difference then! You aren't going to know where you are.

This is a quiet little forum, not a lot of posters from the Far East - I'm ex-Singapore - but just wanted to wish you all the best for a fantastic trip down memory lane.

And yes, watch out for that jet-lag - don't plan too much into your first couple of days.
Seasider many thanks, i hear what you say loud and clear mate,common sense will prevail,I'm only going to get one go at this,so iv'e got to do it right;;;;cheers mate once again;;.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:57 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hell, I go away for Christmas holiday and when I come back I'm like 'was that building here before I left'? It can be a bit crazy at times with all the changes.

Ok, the Octopus card. It's like the Oyster card in London only better. When you get off your plane just walk straight out the doors after you get your luggage and you'll be heading for the Airport express train. Before you get there you can find a help desk where you can get directions on how to buy an Octopus card. I think there is a deposit you have to put down of $50HK which you can get back if you return it after a certain period of time (not sure--http://www.hong-kong-travel.org/Octopus.asp)

You can buy one with an Airport Express ride attached, and a few days of unlimited transit if you are only there for a few days, or you can get one that is more pay as you go if you are there long term. Honestly when you are buying your card speak to the person and they'll probably steer you to the best value based on your time in HK (they speak pretty good English at the airport).

The nice thing about the Octopus is that you can use it pretty much anywhere. McDonalds, 7-11, grocery stores, etc. It's easier than carrying around change and trying to figure out what's what.

Anyway, try over at geoexpats.com, which is a much more active HK forum for expats. You'll find some old timers there who might know the current status of your favorite pubs or whatever.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Penguinsix,
Many thanks for the info,yes i understand the far east forum is very small compered to the others,but you and the rest of the gang have given me a good start and room for thought,will try the other site for a tap in,cheers mate.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tanky Tony
Penguinsix,
Many thanks for the info,yes i understand the far east forum is very small compered to the others,but you and the rest of the gang have given me a good start and room for thought,will try the other site for a tap in,cheers mate.
Done and dusted,now on sight,much bigger as well mate,but keeping this one on as well,more the merrier,cheers.