Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

42 year old guy looking to live in the Far East - Help?

42 year old guy looking to live in the Far East - Help?

Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Affinity One is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 42 year old guy looking to live in the Far East - Help?

Sign,
Got perfect place that will suit you. It is in Bang Sarae, 15 mins from Pattaya. quiet little fishing village. The villa will cater only for Brits of about your age bracket. If and when you want the excitement hop off to Pattaya to find all sorts of entertainments there. Visa runs same as posted above is only 2 hours away. Bangkok is less than 2 hours away if you do need to get there. In Patttaya there is also an expat club which consists mostly of British guys. They gather every Sunday for brunch and talk.
Tell me if you're interested.
Tavit
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

amanda1101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sign
Thanks, thanks very much.

I was thinking more of the Phillipines or Thailand or Malaysia or one of their islands. I was wondering whether there are any other 42 somethings got enough cash circa £500k plus annual interest to last till they drop with no responsibilities who are just chilling out and enjoying life in the far east?

My mate i live with, well are staying with currently is planning on living in Australia, but for me it is just too expensive an option.

Thanks.
Hi Sign. I guess you've just answered your own question. I am currently living in Australia and the Philippines with a most wonderful man who is around my age. They Philippines have everything you want over there.

Last edited by amanda1101; Jul 29th 2010 at 8:32 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 5:16 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, currently living in the UK with a mate............i am single, no kids, no job, no house, no pension, got a lump of cash, looking for somewhere to spend the rest of my living days, no work, just relaxing, fishing, eating, drinking, just having a good time.

Anyone in a similar situation to me anywhere, it must be warm, cheap to live, safe, do not want to marry, do not want to buy a house, would like to meet women my own age, i state my own age. I am not interested in bar girls or young girls.

25 to 30 years living, where................ how much UK sterling do you think i will need.

Thanks for any feedback
I've been living in Thailand for the past twelve years and although I'm thinking of leaving soon, Thailand is a great place to live.
Lets say you get 5% on your half a million, that's twenty-five grand a year or about 100,000 baht a month at today's bad exchange rates. I can't see the pound going much lower so if your minimum amount was 100,000 a month I'm sure there would be many foreigners.( myself included) who would be quite jealous.
To put things in perspective I rent a very nice two bedroom townhouse in the suburbs of Bangkok , support my wife and two children, pay school fees, all utility bills etc, petrol costs, food ( we eat very well) and it sets me back about 35,000 a month.
If you stayed off the beaten track a bit you could find somewhere reasonable close to the beach. I'd avoid Cha-am or Hua Hin as someone else suggested as they can be quite busy and the beaches aren't that great. I would head further south and go to Phangna or Trang provinces or maybe Krabi. Beautiful down there.
The Thai consulate in Hull is a soft touch to get a good visa. You can get a one year multiple entry non-immigrant O visa there for one hundred pounds just by saying you are visiting friends no problem.

Good luck with your hunting !
Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I've been living in Thailand for the past twelve years and although I'm thinking of leaving soon, Thailand is a great place to live.

Lets say you get 5%................ (2.5%) on your half a million, that's twenty-five ................. twelve and a half grand........ a year or about 100,000 baht................ (60,000 baht) a month at today's bad exchange rates. I can't see the pound going much lower so if your minimum amount was 100,000 ................. (60,000) a month I'm sure there would be many foreigners.( myself included) who would be quite jealous.

To put things in perspective I rent a very nice two bedroom townhouse in the suburbs of Bangkok , support my wife and two children, pay school fees, all utility bills etc, petrol costs, food ( we eat very well) and it sets me back about 35,000 a month.

If you stayed off the beaten track a bit you could find somewhere reasonable close to the beach. I'd avoid Cha-am or Hua Hin as someone else suggested as they can be quite busy and the beaches aren't that great. I would head further south and go to Phangna or Trang provinces or maybe Krabi. Beautiful down there.

The Thai consulate in Hull is a soft touch to get a good visa. You can get a one year multiple entry non-immigrant O visa there for one hundred pounds just by saying you are visiting friends no problem.

Good luck with your hunting !

Sounds good, i recon i will have about £1200.00 pounds a month to live on, interest rates are very poor here in the UK. Do not want to spend capital yet until i hit 50? So will live off interest for now.

So on my calculation around 60,000 baht a month, that has to pay for rent of a two bedroom fully furnished place, all bills, food, drink, clothes, and fun fun fun? Out every night, beer, drinks, entertaining lady's, not being tight with the rounds etc?

How far will (£1200.00) 60,000 baht a month go, do not want to go without live the best etc, and treat your friends to a few beers etc?

Anyway cheers for the replies, owe you a beer all!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:56 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

dont suddenly get into charlie,just a tip!
Old Jul 31st 2010, 6:43 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by this charming man
dont suddenly get into charlie,just a tip!
Is that why you're friendless, TCM?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:24 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

how long have you got?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

guvvy is an unknown quantity at this point

Great info thanks........................Sounds just about right.

I am 42, going nowhere here in the UK, friends all married either happily or very unhappily. Struggling financially, work long hours, just miserable.

Close family all dead, distant family just too distant.............

My best mate is off to Australia to live, he has a long term partner, whereas i have been single now since i was 39.

I have just inherited a large sum of money, well a house which i sold, so having now sold the house, paid the inheritance tax, i am left with around £490k, i am not working just living really.

I own nothing, no other investments or savings no pensions, so just want to end up like other washed up expats, chillaxing. I reckon i have enough to last me till i pop off my perch.

My old fella lasted till he was 66, i will not last any longer, so its finding somewhere to chill my bones.

Thanks.
Hehehe you make me laugh i hope you find what your looking for just dont go telling those beautiful asian girls that your loaded hehehe !
Have fun and enjoy what comes your way asia is a fun place to be ......... good luck.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guvvy
Hehehe you make me laugh i hope you find what your looking for just dont go telling those beautiful asian girls that your loaded hehehe !
Have fun and enjoy what comes your way asia is a fun place to be ......... good luck.

Got to admit, it cracks me up, have to pinch mysef, never had two bob to rub together all my life, spent my money on women and booze, and wasted the rest. Then i get gifted a house through inheritance! Just can't believe it, but hey thats life, now i am just gonna chill and enjoy till its all gone hopefully about the same time i fall off my perch? Its all about timing the say, just gotta get it right?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Got to admit, it cracks me up, have to pinch mysef, never had two bob to rub together all my life, spent my money on women and booze, and wasted the rest. Then i get gifted a house through inheritance! Just can't believe it, but hey thats life, now i am just gonna chill and enjoy till its all gone hopefully about the same time i fall off my perch? Its all about timing the say, just gotta get it right?
Yes you have been lucky just dont go too hard to soon i know of a guy who went to thailand to hang out and ended up opening up a bar but he drank himself to a heart attack and died 3yrs later !
One of the problems being a permanent expat is you end up drinking everyday through boredom,always better to have a job it keeps you inline i guess.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

David Mayes is an unknown quantity at this point

Rawai area in Phuket is full of middle aged and older retirees just relaxing, drinking, enjoying a very nice lifestyle. I would come for a visit, you may never leave.

Visas in Thailand are actually very simple. For the first few years you can pay about 500 pounds or so for a 1 year education visa and renew it each year, plus you get to learn the language which is quite tough without lessons.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Yes you have been lucky just dont go too hard to soon i know of a guy who went to thailand to hang out and ended up opening up a bar but he drank himself to a heart attack and died 3yrs later !
One of the problems being a permanent expat is you end up drinking everyday through boredom,always better to have a job it keeps you inline i guess.
Have to admit, that is a worry, no work, nothing to do apart from drink, socializseze, swim, walk, chill, having no work, nothing but things to do that you enjoy doing, i'll take the chance with the heart attack; sod it, all my mates work 40 to 50 hours aweek here in the UK. They spend another 4 to 8 hours per week getting to and from work. When they get home they are faced with financial worries, a partner or wife who just never seems happy. Kids which can't understand that life is not about playstations and burgers. If i pop off i pop off, but i like my life without my inheritance, so it cannot be any worse?

Originally Posted by David Mayes
Rawai area in Phuket is full of middle aged and older retirees just relaxing, drinking, enjoying a very nice lifestyle. I would come for a visit, you may never leave.

Visas in Thailand are actually very simple. For the first few years you can pay about 500 pounds or so for a 1 year education visa and renew it each year, plus you get to learn the language which is quite tough without lessons.
Yeh looks good, i suppose i am a middle aged man, always thought of myself as young really, gonna take a holiday for a month in Thailand, have a look, spend a couple of grand, come back to the UK, then evaluate where im heading to for good!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:50 am
Just Joined

David Mayes is an unknown quantity at this point

There are plenty of younger guys here as well. I am only 32 actually, I still work and am raising kids here. It is a great place to live no matter what your situation really.

You can rent a 2 bedroom furnished smaller house here for about 10K Baht per month, or if you want bigger rooms and a bit nicer maybe 20K. Western meals will range around 200 Baht, 40 Baht for a cheap Thai meal. Beers can be 50 Baht in the smaller out of the way pubs, 200 Baht if there are girls dancing on poles, so your 60K Baht can go very far or not so far depending on your eating, and drinking.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:32 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=sign;8747955]Have to admit, that is a worry, no work, nothing to do apart from drink, socializseze, swim, walk, chill, having no work, nothing but things to do that you enjoy doing, i'll take the chance with the heart attack; sod it, all my mates work 40 to 50 hours aweek here in the UK. They spend another 4 to 8 hours per week getting to and from work. When they get home they are faced with financial worries, a partner or wife who just never seems happy. Kids which can't understand that life is not about playstations and burgers. If i pop off i pop off, but i like my life without my inheritance, so it cannot be any worse?

Ive been an expat for quite a while now and now i would just love to have a job in asia rather than just hanging out,i dont need to work to sustain my life style but being out of the main stream for so long isnt me i tend to get bored quickly im not at retirement age so ive still got alot of go in me i guess just no real outlet so keep this in mind and try and build a reason for living somewhere if you can being idle for too long has its downsides also.
But i think your choise of asia was a good one
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ive been an expat for quite a while now and now i would just love to have a job in asia rather than just hanging out,i dont need to work to sustain my life style but being out of the main stream for so long isnt me i tend to get bored quickly im not at retirement age so ive still got alot of go in me i guess just no real outlet so keep this in mind and try and build a reason for living somewhere if you can being idle for too long has its downsides also.
But i think your choise of asia was a good one
I know what you mean, but work is something you have to do, whereas if you do not have to work in Thailand, then surely if you cannot occupy your time with things to do which you enjoy, then you really need to take a look in the mirror?

By my calculations on what has been quoted on this forum, if you have or allocate £400.00 pounds per week, so 20,000 baht aweek, you can live very well.

Not like a king, but aswell as a single middle aged gent would want to live for a few years? If after this time you become bored, you can always return home, ok a few bob worse off but you only live once?

I would rather spend say five years living on £400.00 per week in Thailand, living very well, spending say £60,000.00 of capital plus interest. I would rather do this than go out and buy a second hand £60k sports car?

If after five years it becomes tiresome well what an experience, the UK may have become a better place to live. You may have become terminally ill, you may meet someone interesting who makes your life better?

For me, its all about memories, experiences, not houses, not cars, not clothes, not drugs, not gambling. I do not smoke, i do not gamble, i do not and never will take drugs. I only drink, and like the touch of a female, not alot to ask. Do not want to be married, do not want kids, do not want a career, do not want a pension. Live for today, because tomorrow, you just do not know what is in store?

I like the sound of what of has been written...............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.