Reload this Page >

Western Europe Road Trip

Western Europe Road Trip

Old Sep 9th 2015, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Roxie.21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Western Europe Road Trip

Good afternoon

I was hoping someone could give me some advice.

My boyfriend and I are planning a road trip around Western Europe and Croatia next summer.

We are renting a campervan in Rome and starting our trip there. We are hoping to travel through the following cities stopping off in the following order;

Italy
  • Rome
  • Florence (Pisa)
  • Venice
Croatia

• Pag
  • Zadar
  • Split
  • Dubrovnik
Italy

• Lake Como
  • Lake Garda
  • Milan
Southern France

• Nice
  • Marseille
Around the coast to Spain

• Barcelona
  • Valencia
  • Madrid
Portugal

• Algave
  • Lisbon
  • Porto
Over Spain to Western France

• Biarritz
  • Hossegor
Then Paris, through Belguim and ending in Amsterdam

My boyfriend and I will both be 25 and hoping to find festivals along the way. We generally need advice on whether we have selected too many places in our time period of 10 weeks. We also would love to know about campsites, how much money would be recommended (minus costs of camper and petrol as we have already calculated this).

Any informaiton would be very much appreciated!

Apologies for the long post!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Roxie
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Western Europe Road Trip

I can't help much with the itinerary except to say you must like driving a lot. I did a fair few tours through Europe in my youth, by bicycle or hitching, and found that I invariably had to reduce my itinerary by fifty percent if I actually wanted to see anything. It does seem an awful lot of travel, if you wish to combine with festivals, a bit of R and R, and sight seeing.
I can however provide you with a link to a festival to get you started - Ortigueira in Galicia Ortigueira Festival
Some really unusual bands, great atmosphere and some fabulous scenery.
And Gallegans are some of the nicest people in the world (although most will be hiding indoors during that week).
Good luck and have a wonderful time.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
I can't help much with the itinerary except to say you must like driving a lot. I did a fair few tours through Europe in my youth, by bicycle or hitching, and found that I invariably had to reduce my itinerary by fifty percent if I actually wanted to see anything.
Yes, I'm with Biggles on this. My advice would be to eliminate Spain and Portugal, at least. You can always go there later, when you have more time to spare.

Also: mightn't Marseilles be a wee bit dangerous, these days?
Old Sep 18th 2015, 8:53 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
My advice would be to eliminate Spain and Portugal
Old Sep 20th 2015, 8:38 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

so Italy:

When in Rome use public transport for your tourism and park the van in the outskirts. Publc transport is cheap here.

Florence and Pisa are both small enough to park up and walk around.

As you drive across the causeway to Venice you will see signs for the camper van parking. You can walk through Venice or use the water buses.

Rome to Florence in a camper about 3.5 hours and Florence to Venice about 4 hours.

Anything else?
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 4:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Also: mightn't Marseilles be a wee bit dangerous, these days?
Saw something recently about Marseilles being a future city of culture.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 4:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
.... As you drive across the causeway to Venice you will see signs for the camper van parking. You can walk through Venice or use the water buses. .....
Or go to Lido de Jesolo and get the ferry from Punta Sabbioni. Seeing Venice for the first time from the lagoon side is very cool.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 9:18 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Or go to Lido de Jesolo and get the ferry from Punta Sabbioni. Seeing Venice for the first time from the lagoon side is very cool.
true
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 2:21 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Saw something recently about Marseilles being a future city of culture.
Hi, there's the new MuCEM
MuCEM - Musée des civilisations de l'Europe et de la Méditerranée
but I wouldn't recommend sleeping in a campervan anywhere near Marseille!!