Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

UK citizen working in New York, moving to Geneva(ish) - working as consultant

UK citizen working in New York, moving to Geneva(ish) - working as consultant

Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:38 am
Just Joined

jimmyvu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizen working in New York, moving to Geneva(ish) - working as consultant

So here is the situation, and I apologize if there is a thread on here already that I was not able to find:

I am from the UK and the wife is French, we both live and work in New York. Wife works at the UN and is transferring from New York to Geneva. We will live in France as Frontaliers.

My office in New York has offered to take me on as an independent consultant, so here are my questions:

- Assuming it is more beneficial set up as an independent consultant based in Geneva, is it possible to set up in Geneva but live and work from home in France.

- Administratively, what is easier to go, set up as an independent contractor in France, or Geneva?

- Economical, in terms of taxation, is it more beneficial to set up in France or Geneva?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:56 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: UK citizen working in New York, moving to Geneva(ish) - working as consultant

I'm in Switzerland but in the German-speaking part (Zug).

There are very few posters on BE in regards to questions about Switzerland. I suggest you check out this English language expat site for Switzerland:

http://www.englishforum.ch

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 12:14 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen working in New York, moving to Geneva(ish) - working as consultant

Originally Posted by jimmyvu
So here is the situation, and I apologize if there is a thread on here already that I was not able to find:

I am from the UK and the wife is French, we both live and work in New York. Wife works at the UN and is transferring from New York to Geneva. We will live in France as Frontaliers.

My office in New York has offered to take me on as an independent consultant, so here are my questions:

- Assuming it is more beneficial set up as an independent consultant based in Geneva, is it possible to set up in Geneva but live and work from home in France.

- Administratively, what is easier to go, set up as an independent contractor in France, or Geneva?

- Economical, in terms of taxation, is it more beneficial to set up in France or Geneva?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Hi, you could also post again on the France forum. There are quite a few BE frontaliers who might be able to help.
You must check on your own healthcare coverage if you live in France, unless your wife's covers you, too.
AFAIK if you only have the one client, you can't set yourself up as an Auto-Entrepreneur (the simplist business structure in France).
Others more knowledgeable than me will advise you better, but I would suggest consulting a "European" Expert-Comptable/Tax Adviser.
Hope this helps a little!