Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Belfast!

Travelling to Belfast!

Old Mar 25th 2002, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

pa_cheeks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling to Belfast!

Well I am leaving for Belfast in about a month or so... got my workers holiday visa and I am all ready to go... I am from Montreal Canada and I wanted to know if anyone knows of a good spot where I can find some places to stay in Belfast... most likely where I can share with one or 2 roommates.

If anyone has anyway to help me out that would be great... also if anyone else would like to go for a nice Guiness in belfast can send me a message!

Pa-Cheeks
Old Mar 26th 2002, 4:28 am
Robin Goodfello

Default Re: Travelling to Belfast!

I am from just outside Belfast, if you need any info then give me a shout. Best place
to stay is in the student area, which is situated just 5 mins from all the main bars,
think you should be expecting to pay around £160 or so for a room in a student house.

"pa_cheeks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Well I am leaving for Belfast in about a month or so... got my workers holiday visa
    > and I am all ready to go... I am from Montreal Canada and I wanted to know if
    > anyone knows of a good spot where I can find some places to stay in Belfast... most
    > likely where I can share with one or 2 roommates.
    >
    > If anyone has anyway to help me out that would be great... also if anyone else
    > would like to go for a nice Guiness in belfast can send me a message!
    >
    > Pa-Cheeks
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > P@-Ch33x
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 26th 2002, 4:34 am
Just Joined

Thanx Robin...

Do you know of any websites where that info is available... I can only find full flats for rent online in Belfast... but no sharing sites? If you can help me that would be great, if you can't you have been great help already... maybe ill give you a shout when I get there...
Old Mar 26th 2002, 9:35 am
Keith Anderson

On 25 Mar 2002 19:02:36 -0600, pa_cheeks <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well I am leaving for Belfast in about a month or so... got my workers holiday visa
    >and I am all ready to go... I am from Montreal Canada and I wanted to know if anyone
    >knows of a good spot where I can find some places to stay in Belfast... most likely
    >where I can share with one or 2 roommates.
    >
    >If anyone has anyway to help me out that would be great... also if anyone else would
    >like to go for a nice Guiness in belfast can send me a message!
    >
For a Guiness in wonderful surroundings, try the Crown Liquor Saloon - 46 Great
Victoria Street (opposite Great Victoria Street Railway Station). All the original
19th century fittings have been preserved - nooks separated by glass screens, old
mirrors etc - it's owned by the National Trust and as I understand it, it's the only
pub on their books. It's a friendly place too - but there again that's the way
Northern Ireland is.

It's also on the edge of an area where there are plenty of restaurants for
reasonably-priced eats.

You could also check out the tours which run from the Belfast Youth Hostel - they do
daytime tours of the "troubled" areas of Belfast, plus another full-day tour to the
beautiful Antrim Coast including the Giant's Causeway and Bushmills Whiskey
Distillery.

Keith Bristol UK

Old Mar 26th 2002, 11:36 am
Robin Goodfello

You can try this website but I don't think it is very good
http://www.studenthouses.co.uk/ , I will check out the best place to get accomodation
and get back later on today.

There is a youth hostel right in the centre of town that you could stay in until you
get yourself sorted, as far as I know it is very good, a lot of backpackers that I
would talk to seem to stay there an enjoy it.

Drink, my speciality !! Yes, the Crown is the only bar under the national trust, it
is also a tourist trap, don't get me wrong, it is nice and worth going for a look but
it is by no means the best bar to drink in Belfast. Tell me what sort of music you
are into and I can hopefully advise you on the best places to go. When will you be
coming over anyway, the bars are packed every night when the students are here but as
soon as they go home it dies down a bit.

Have you got a job lined up already? If not you could maybe try
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk , they have a Jobfinder section, the are many other
alternatives but your best bet would be for the government website,
www.jobcentreonline.com

If you have any questions ask away, probably won't know the answer but I can try !!!

"pa_cheeks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Well I am leaving for Belfast in about a month or so... got my workers holiday visa
    > and I am all ready to go... I am from Montreal Canada and I wanted to know if
    > anyone knows of a good spot where I can find some places to stay in Belfast... most
    > likely where I can share with one or 2 roommates.
    >
    > If anyone has anyway to help me out that would be great... also if anyone else
    > would like to go for a nice Guiness in belfast can send me a message!
    >
    > Pa-Cheeks
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > P@-Ch33x
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 28th 2002, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

I would have to agree, the Crown is a tourist trap, but still nice none the less. I was in Belfast in November of last year so I know what it is like... it's just the flat sharing that I am having a problem with. I went to that studenhouses.co.uk site... I registered and they said they would email me within a few minutes. Thats was 3 days ago =)

Oh well, if anyone else knows of any sites maybe they can help me out. The only good site so far that I have seen is www.propertynews.com

Thanx again guys... and maybe you guys can leave an email address so I may contact you guys when I am there.