Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe

Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:21 pm   #1
Rw94 
Just Joined

Rw94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traveling Europe after brexit with criminal record

Hi I would like to start by saying how my friend was given a simple caution last weekend for possession of a class a drug (cocaine). He has been reading up and is concerned that after brexit they might introduce a policy like Esta around Europe. Would this therefore mean they would be unable to travel through Europe or would the fact that simple cautions become spent inediately affect the decision in Europe (as I know it does not in the US) thanks for your time and any reply is appreaiated!
Rw94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:32 pm   #2
scot47 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling Europe after brexit with criminal record

If a visa is required - there could be the need for a criminal record disclosure. If travel is visa-free, probably nothing to worry about.
scot47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:33 pm   #3
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It is very considerate for you to research this matter for your "friend".

Nobody knows the definitive answer to your question, and they won't until at least the end of Brexit negotiations. And unless Brexit results in continued freedom of movement, then it might be some time later before the European countries decide what sort of restrictions they might put on visitors from the UK.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:34 pm   #4
Rw94 
Just Joined

Awesome thanks for the advice
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:39 pm   #5
Rw94 
Just Joined

Don't suppose you guys know if Europe cover the The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act or is that just the uk?
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:56 pm   #6
Premium Member

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rw94 View Post
Don't suppose you guys know if Europe cover the The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act or is that just the uk?
It only applies to the UK. Although no-one can give you a definite answer at this stage I would highly doubt a caution would prevent you from travelling even if an ESTA/ETA style system was introduced and applied to British citizens.
BritInParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:58 pm   #7
Rw94 
Just Joined

Thanks, my only track of thought behind this was that it stops entry into us, japan, china ext I was thinking they would follow suit with it being still classed as a conviction in most eyes
Old Aug 29th 2017, 10:00 pm   #8
Premium Member

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rw94 View Post
Thanks, my only track of thought behind this was that it stops entry into us, japan, china ext I was thinking they would follow suit with it being still classed as a conviction in most eyes
It doesn't stop entry. You may be required to declare it but in and of itself it doesn't stop you from travelling.
BritInParis is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe