Tax residency vs residency card

Tax residency vs residency card

Old Oct 28th 2015, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

nhs84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax residency vs residency card

Hi all,

I have another question.
We have UK passports and recently registered and received our Greek residence certificate.

We both work for a UK company which gets paid directly into our UK accounts with the relevant NI/Social security and taxes deducted.
Now that we have registered does that automatically mean that we are also tax residents in Greece?

I think tax residence is if you live for more than 183 days per year but you have to register for a residence permit if you stay for more than 3 months. Not sure what happens if you're in between the two?
Now we will potentially move between the UK and Greece so trying to figure out if we need to de-register if we aren't going to be in Greece for the 183 days?

What are the latest employee tax bands? If we file a tax return in Greece, I'm assuming we will just pay the additional tax owed to Greece due to the tax agreement with the UK.
I've also heard that you can deduct certain things from your taxable pay, does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2015, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax residency vs residency card

I am afraid I have no input on this. I think you will get a limited audience on the Europe forum. Although there are a couple of very knowledgeable members there, they are not in Greece. It might be an idea to try the Moving Back to the Uk forum - a huge range of people there. But I think you will need to give more precise information than you have.
Good luck
Old Nov 4th 2015, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi nhs I will try and contact my friends in Marathon.They have lived and worked in Greece/UK/Scotland for well over 30 yrs so will have some clue as to how this works.Will pm you if I get relevant info
Old Nov 8th 2015, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Now back from Lisbon and found this reply from friends in Marathon

' Anyone who lives in Greece for more than 183 consecutive days in any 12 month period is considered to be resident in Greece,and therefore liable to tax. You have to have a tax registration no (fiscal) in order to do any business/transactions in the country. As a resident of Greece (this is so for any EU country) he must declare his global income in his Greek tax returns and pay the corresponding tax.In the case of the UK and income earned and taxed in the UK there is a bilateral agreement between the two countries for the avoidance of double taxation. However any tax attributable to income earned and taxed in the UK will make the person liable to pay (In Greece) any difference in the tax that income would have attracted in Greece. (with me so far?)
My contact suggests you contact Ernst and Young,highly respected and have offered my contact valuable and most of all -accurate advice over a long period of time

hope this helps
Old Nov 9th 2015, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

nhs84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much
I'll let you know how I get on...
Old Nov 12th 2015, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

De Nada (your welcome! )