Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Studying in the European Union with dual citizenship with the ROI/UK

Studying in the European Union with dual citizenship with the ROI/UK

Old Aug 26th 2016, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Justgoingtoaskadvice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studying in the European Union with dual citizenship with the ROI/UK

Hi, I am starting to enter college and am striving to become a Software Engineer working in a major city in the United States however I do not think that studying in the United Kingdom, United States or Canada is preferable because of the high university fees.

I believe that the European Union is an option, and I believe that I could still be classed as an EU citizen because I have dual citizenship with the ROI and the United Kingdom.

Is it possible to study in the European Union and if so what places would you all recommend to me, I hear that Germany is quite good as they have some courses in English?

Could you just run me through what I would need to do to move to the EU and then move to the United States after studying.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 7:45 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studying in the European Union with dual citizenship with the ROI/UK

There's some information here on the European Commission's website, which is probably as good a place to start as any with regard to the study options. Hope it helps.

Study in Europe - European Commission
Old Aug 29th 2016, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studying in the European Union with dual citizenship with the ROI/UK

You can use this search engine to find out whether or not there are courses in Germany that you would like to take:

https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stud...l-programs/en/

Last edited by Assanah; Aug 29th 2016 at 10:38 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 4:57 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I've only just seen this.

If you have EU citizenship you can study in any EU country for the same cost as a domestic (ie German, dutch etc) student.

Holland in particular offers many courses in English. Maastricht, Utrecht and Groenigen would be good places to start, since they all have a large international student body. Cost here is about €11k for fees and accommodation. Germany is also good but not all courses are available in english at undergrad level. Tuition is free. Sweden is good but not so much cheaper than studying in the US. Avoid France - unless you are a fluent french speaker and know what you are getting into. Other countries, I'm not so sure about.

Things to watch out for. Think about using the ROI citizenship rather than UK because of the Brexit which may or may not happen but it's definitely disquieting and you have a different option. Makes no difference to your application since ROI is in the EU.

Software engineer..... if you are in the EU, then the chances of you getting summer internships is low/none existent. That can be a fair bit of money to lose out on and also the work experience is valuable and may well be needed upon graduation if you want to work in the USA. US employers may not be so keen on a non-US degree as well. If you don't intend to live/work in the US immediately after graduating, this may not be so much of an issue for you.

My advice? If you're really strapped for cash and don't want to incur a load of debt. Go to community college for a year, live at home, then swap into your state university course. That'll be about $20k saved right there.

My son plans on attending an EU university starting in 2017. Questions? ask away.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

The OP hasn't been on since August.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 9:45 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
The OP hasn't been on since August.
well, maybe she will be tempted back by my fabulous advice?
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I hope so but the OP will have to come back on to see your fabulous advice.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 6:03 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by cyrian
I hope so but the OP will have to come back on to see your fabulous advice.
really? I get emails if someone posts on a thread I've posted on.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
It was a light-hearted remark (as indicated by the smiley) about the fact that the OP has not been back on since Aug 26th.
Lighten up a little bit.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 2:23 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Yes, but you must have signed up to receive those e mails, many people do not, I certainly don't as my email box would soon fill up.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 3:34 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, but you must have signed up to receive those e mails, many people do not, I certainly don't as my email box would soon fill up.
If I remember rightly, I used to get e-mails from BE each time some one replied to my posts, not because I requested it but by default. I managed to disable this, but have forgotten how.

Last edited by dmu; Oct 26th 2016 at 3:41 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
If I remember rightly, I used to get e-mails from BE each time some one replied to my posts, not because I requested it but by default. I managed to disable this, but have forgotten how.
It is in your profile - options - messaging and notifications.
I use a separate email address with daily notifications but to be honest I never read them.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Studying in the European Union, UK passport

Could you suggest decent universities in Belgium for management/business (in English or French language) first degree courses, please.

Does a UK passport permit affordable fees? eg 1000 Euros

Does a student apply separately to each uni?
Old Nov 9th 2016, 3:21 pm
Austin. TX.

Default Re: Studying in the European Union, UK passport

Originally Posted by magnification
Could you suggest decent universities in Belgium for management/business (in English or French language) first degree courses, please.

Does a UK passport permit affordable fees? eg 1000 Euros

Does a student apply separately to each uni?
Hi!
This is the Belgium search engine, I've given you results for English language studies or you can play with it and come up with French if you want to.

WBCAMPUS / BELGIUM | Site internet de Wallonie-Bruxelles Campus

In terms of "good" universities, I don't know in particular for business since my area is dentistry. Most universities offer comparable courses at undergrad level, the difference is usually just in the prestigious name - I sugggest you find an international/EU student forum and ask for more information.

As a UK citizen, you are entitled to be charged the same fees as a domestic (ie Belgian) student. A quick glance shows that to be about 1000€ a year and usually the fees are due when you start. If you go to a private university then you are still charged the same as a domestic student but obviously it can be a lot more. Don't forget that you will still have to pay for housing/food/books etc.

This entitlement to an EU benefit may be removed if Brexit goes ahead. If you are planning on studying in Europe and it's more than 1 year away, I would strongly suggest a back-up plan.

I don't know in particular about Belgium but in other parts of Europe, you apply directly to the university. To find out more visit the university websites, get their prospectus and any information. Call the admissions department and ask questions.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your prompt reply.