British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   smelliest (body odour) nation? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/smelliest-body-odour-nation-110091/)

rday Aug 2nd 2002 12:34 am

smelliest (body odour) nation?

which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine?
do they think is smells natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related or can even colder places suffer?
rday

Frank Matthews Aug 2nd 2002 4:22 am

Re: smelliest (body odour) nation?

Smelly depends on the food as much as anything. I remember a trip years ago where
some time was spent in the Middle East, Turkey, and Greece. The smell of lamb was
quite pronounced on my clothes and had probably been so on me. I didn't notice it
until I was in Vienna. I hadn't changed my hygiene just my diet.

Frank Matthews

rday wrote:

> which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine? do they think is smells
    > natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related or
    > can even colder places suffer? rday
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Sjoerd Aug 2nd 2002 7:21 am

TROLL alert

"rday" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
    > which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine? do they think is smells
    > natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related or
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Gregory Morrow Aug 2nd 2002 7:21 am

Sjoerd wrote:

> TROLL alert

Heehee..."Tis the season", Sjoerd....Usenet *sure* has been boring as of late........

--
Best Greg

Mxsmanic Aug 2nd 2002 9:20 am

Nations do not smell; people do.

However, people from warm climates and primitive countries seem to bathe less
frequently and often smell a lot more strongly than people from other areas.

Here in France, the people most likely to have strong body odor seem to be from
Africa, but older French people are running a close second place. Younger French
people have better hygiene, although it is still not up to the level of most other
European countries, much less the U.S. or Japan.

"rday" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Devil Aug 2nd 2002 3:24 pm

Mxsmanic wrote:
    > Nations do not smell; people do.
    >
    > However, people from warm climates and primitive countries seem to bathe less
    > frequently and often smell a lot more strongly than people from other areas.
    >
    > Here in France, the people most likely to have strong body odor seem to be from
    > Africa, but older French people are running a close second place. Younger French
    > people have better hygiene, although it is still not up to the level of most other
    > European countries, much less the U.S. or Japan.
    >
    > "rday" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > [email protected]...
    >
    >>which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine? do they think is smells
    >>natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related or
    >>can even colder places suffer? rday

Actually, I am not sure whether France is any better than the UK in that respect. And
I recall sitting beside a German in his late sixties or so once on a YYC-FRA flight,
who was really bad.

Irwell Aug 2nd 2002 3:25 pm

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 14:32:56 GMT, devil <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mxsmanic wrote:
    >> Nations do not smell; people do.
    >>
    >> However, people from warm climates and primitive countries seem to bathe less
    >> frequently and often smell a lot more strongly than people from other areas.
    >>
    >> Here in France, the people most likely to have strong body odor seem to be from
    >> Africa, but older French people are running a close second place. Younger French
    >> people have better hygiene, although it is still not up to the level of most other
    >> European countries, much less the U.S. or Japan.
    >>
    >> "rday" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> [email protected]...
    >>
    >>>which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine? do they think is smells
    >>>natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related
    >>>or can even colder places suffer? rday
    >
    >Actually, I am not sure whether France is any better than the UK in that respect.
    >And I recall sitting beside a German in his late sixties or so once on a YYC-FRA
    >flight, who was really bad.
    >
    >
Try being on a troopship going through the Red Sea, circa WW2.

Oopsdaisy2 Aug 2nd 2002 4:21 pm

>Subject: Re: smelliest (body odour) nation? From: "Mxsmanic" [email protected]
    >Date: 8/2/2002 4:07 AM

>Nations do not smell; people do.

Hmmm.....I recently spent some time in Savannah, GA, USA. Much to our amusement, they
have a certain flowering tree that seems to be planted everywhere that smells like
pee ;) It took us a while to figure out the streets were not urine covered..... Maybe
not nations, but certainly cities ;)

Mxsmanic Aug 2nd 2002 4:21 pm

"devil" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...

> Actually, I am not sure whether France is any better than the UK in that respect.

People in the UK have a reputation for cleanliness, which appears to be deserved from
what little I've seen, although I've also seen some people from the UK who appeared
never to wash their hands or feet.

Mxsmanic Aug 2nd 2002 4:21 pm

"Irwell" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...

> Try being on a troopship going through the Red Sea, circa WW2.

Soldiers have an excuse for not being squeaky clean all the time.

newstartnz Aug 2nd 2002 4:50 pm

Originally posted by Mxsmanic
Nations do not smell; people do.

However, people from warm climates and primitive countries seem to bathe less
frequently and often smell a lot more strongly than people from other areas.

I find that a bit insulting to our warmer climate brethren. I've travelled a fair bit in the tropics of Central America, Asia, Australia, India and worked also in the Middle East, plus in Central Europe which gets pretty hot May-September. When I worked in Calcutta, the cleanliness of even the poorest Hindus was remarkable, on the way in to work I would see them washing in the Hoogly river and at broken water pipes. In none of these places (eg Mexico, Honduras, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Queensland, Sydney, Calcutta, Bombay, UAE, Bahrain, Central Europe) have I found poor standards of personal cleanliness, quite the opposite. Better ask the Unilever or Procter and Gamble managers where they don't sell much soap and I bet it won't be the places I've mentioned. I've had a worse BO whiff off a London cabbie or in a UK pub than I have from the typical man in the street in the places above.

P J Wallace Aug 2nd 2002 6:28 pm

Depends who you ask, and what their sensitivities are

The Aussies say us ( the Brits), we say the French (and there are statistics bandied
around about the amount of soap bought and showers taken). The Russians are appaIIed
at the idea of baths rather than showers, and as I understand it, Chinese peopIe
can't stand the miIky smeII they feeI Westerners give off.

PJW

On 2 Aug 2002 02:20:51 GMT, rday <[email protected]> wrote:

>which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine? do they think is smells
    >natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related or
    >can even colder places suffer? rday
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Grey Aug 2nd 2002 8:20 pm

On 2 Aug 2002 02:20:51 GMT, rday <[email protected]> wrote:

>which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine? do they think is smells
    >natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related or
    >can even colder places suffer? rday

Don't feed the troll.

A truly cool book: The World Is Already Yours Conscious living in the real world
www.alreadyyours.com (sample chapter, etc...)

rday Aug 2nd 2002 10:09 pm

i'm not a troll
i used to go to france to stay with my step brother,i asked him why do many french people smell of b.o.(i,m not talking about north africans,arabs etc) he said its just normal,and people dont get offended by the smell.where in uk if u walk pass a person with b.o. u turn to your friend and say 'what a smelly bstrd.
i just wondered which countries (natives) think it is just a natural human odour.
rday

Mika Aug 2nd 2002 10:21 pm

rday <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    >

The damn Yanks are responsible. They had to rebuild Euroland all by themselves, you
know, but, like, there was a shortage of showers and bathtubs at the time, as they
were all needed for the Levittowns. So none ever got installed in Europe.

We tried hard to correct the problem. Never got around to it though, we were too busy
creating the EU, and the Pope, who was giving the orders, wasn't too interested in
bathtubs either, as he had the Fontana de Trevi right where he lived (plenty of hard
currency there, too). And the N*z*s controlling the Pope had plenty of hot water in
Paraguay. And the damn Commies who controlled the old N*z*s simply didn't care, they
were glad to have any water at all.

And once we finally got that EU thingy done, it turned out that the Eastern Block
didn't have any bathtubs either. And then this Reagan dude suddenly showed up in
Berlin and said the magic words: "Mr. Gorby, tear down your old outhouses". And
would you believe it, they all did it right away. And then the Russian Mafia
started to steal all the bathtubs that were parked on the streets of West Berlin. I
think the Poles also helped, but they only stole Mercedes bathtubs, the Russians
also took Volkswagen and Fiat bathtubs, and even Trabi showers (shudder, they had
only cold water).

But now we are sealing off the borders to Ukraine, no bathtub will get through in the
future. And a scientist from Luxemburg now even claims that he can produce American
soap. He calls his product "Taube" for some reason or other, seems it does not soil
your tub - if you have one.

>smells natural or even sexy<

Now you tell us. You can't get laid. Google for "pheromones".

Mika