Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

living in bucharest

living in bucharest

Old Nov 21st 2001, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

haydon is an unknown quantity at this point

hello, i am starting a business selling cosmetics in bucharest. obviously i have spoken to a lot of romanian ppl and i have been in touch with their government etc, what i do need though is to hear the opinions and advice of anyone who has lived/worked in romania/bucharest or even just visited whilst on holiday. i am interested to hear about yr experiences with customs, romanian ppl in general, government interference etc etc...to be honest anything and everything that may be of use to me. i also lived in toulon/la garde in the south of france for 2yrs so if i can b of service to anyone else pls let me know, thanks very much for yr time, this is very important to me and its much appreciated, bye
Old Nov 27th 2001, 10:30 pm
Peter Ellis

The message <[email protected]> from haydon <[email protected]>
contains these words:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Best is to make friends with locals. There are plenty of opportunities to help each
other and Romanians value western friends who can get them often quite simple things
which are difficult to get locally. In return they will look after you, invite you
for meals at home (generally much better than those in restaurants) and sort out
contacts for you. They are a generous, warm and friendly people who have survived
through difficult times. There are, though, a fair few dodgy ones so be careful !

cheers

Peter

Old Nov 30th 2001, 12:00 am
Eesti

>
    >
can get them often quite simple things which are difficult to get locally.

hehe, last time i went to romania i carried a few pens with a little light which
brights everytime a cellular is being called a couple of meter around. now the mobile
is a big big business in romania...of course they were shocked with such a thing and
of course i don't have those pens now. Anyway, everyday are less things difficult to
find in romania, luckily.

In return they will look after you, invite you for meals at
    >
    >
    >

yeppp, you've descrived a random country in the world!!!. Anyway, that's true...be
prepared for those meals...huahhooo, delicious...and the wine! last time i had to
send a box full of books some romanians gave me everytime i visited a house. now
my shelves are full of romanian poetry (Eminescu, Blaga...) Romanian people is
quite generous and charming, but it's important to have some local contact who
opens doors...

bye

Eesti

--
[email protected] http://www.iespana.es/jovenesviajeros

Old Dec 1st 2001, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

thx for answering, i was feeling a lil rejected, hehe, am i going to live in the back of beyond or smth??? my offer still stands though if anyone needs some advice about the marseilles/toulon/hyres area of southern france, btw if u go there u HAVE to visit the gorges du verdon, i insist!
Old Dec 2nd 2001, 2:24 pm
Patricia Bechi

Hi, My husband and I lived in Bucharest for a year in 1993. I could write volumes but
don't know how out of date they would be. Suffice it to say, back then there was
plenty to put up with and you need to have a strong sense of humor, but we had a
WONDERFUL year, all due to the people. They are warm, friendly, cultured... we spent
most of our time outside (of our 20m square flat!) and several nights a week at the
cinema, the theater, our neighbors. The language is a Romance language so if you
speak French well and you study you'll learn it quickly. This is not much to go on -
I hate to start with the negatives given years have passed and things may have
changed, and our memories are overwhelmingly positive. (Not of the CITY, it was dirty
and difficult, but of LIVING in Bucharest and Romania in general). Please write us
directly, we'd be happy to "chat" more. best Patricia

haydon <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 2nd 2001, 10:34 pm
Peter Ellis

The message <[email protected] >
from [email protected] (patricia bechi) contains these words:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I'd echo all of that.

Cheers

Peter

Old Dec 8th 2001, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

thx for all yr kind replies, they do help me, romania is a country that has begun to fascinate me and i would love to hear from anyone else who has experienced romania/bucharest in anyway. thx again and all the best for the new year if i don't post again, lets make it a better one! pa pa