British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Selwo Hills, Costa del Sol? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/selwo-hills-costa-del-sol-235208/)

ttbr2004 Jun 8th 2004 6:00 pm

Selwo Hills, Costa del Sol?

Just wondering.....

we are in the process of purchasing an apartment in Selwo Hills and wondered if there is anyone out there who is also currently in the process of purchasing an apartment on the same development?

If so, we wondered whether you are pleased with the quality of the work in the apartment and what do you think of the grounds?

We really would like to chat to any of our future neighbours in Spain. It would be great to hear from you.

Thanks

:cool:

judemclaggan Jun 16th 2004 9:58 pm

Hello, we are going out early next week to finalise purchase of an apartment in Selwo Hills. Glad to hear of your experiences including places to buy furniture rapidly.

ttbr2004 Jun 17th 2004 5:51 pm

Originally posted by judemclaggan
Hello, we are going out early next week to finalise purchase of an apartment in Selwo Hills. Glad to hear of your experiences including places to buy furniture rapidly.
Nice to hear from you judemclaggan, we are signing the title deeds on 28th June. We are in the smaller section of Selwo, how about you? We live in the South of England and have two small children. We hope everything goes well for you next week.

judemclaggan Jun 17th 2004 8:57 pm

Hi, we are signing on 25 June and staying there hopefully the next week. We are planning to spend winters there in retirement but this summer our two adult sons and partners will be staying. We are in the larger part.

Did you go out for the "snagging " visit. We were unable to so would be very interested in what you thought.

Regards,

jude

Gary Moffatt Jun 29th 2004 12:41 pm

Re: Selwo Hills, Costa del Sol?

Originally posted by ttbr2004
Just wondering.....

we are in the process of purchasing an apartment in Selwo Hills and wondered if there is anyone out there who is also currently in the process of purchasing an apartment on the same development?

If so, we wondered whether you are pleased with the quality of the work in the apartment and what do you think of the grounds?

We really would like to chat to any of our future neighbours in Spain. It would be great to hear from you.

Thanks

We have purchased our apartment in Selwo Hills on the 17th and are visiting the property next week. We did the snagging list late last month and were impressed with the overall finish (couple of snags but nothing too harsh).

We have bought in the larger of the two blocks and indeed like to chat to our neighbours!:cool:

ttbr2004 Jul 1st 2004 1:16 pm

Hi there,

We have just got back from our second snagging and our solicitors signed the deeds on our behalf today.

On our original snagging visit we had a few problems with the tiling being uneven and other problems. We were quite concerned because they told us the apartment was finished when it clearly was not. Also the grounds looked like a building site and nothing like the drawings.

However, on our second visit we found that they had finished our apartment and tried to fix all the faults. There are a few minor things that need to be done but nothing major. We have made another list and hopefully these will be fixed within a month.

I don't know whether you have left for your stay in Selwo Hills Judemclaggan but I'll tell you what we thought just in case you haven't left yet.

The grounds on the larger part of Selwo Hills are starting to look lovely. However, I don't know whether you know but there have been a lot of complaints. The actual development doesnt look much like the brochure. The pools are square not curved and there are no childrens pools, play areas, streams and bridges as we were led to believe. We spoke to Javier a couple of days ago and he said that there have been so many complaints that the developers are considering putting the childrens pools in. Our solicitors have told us that the more people complain the more likely they will do something about it.

However, even so, the development is impressive and it will be beautiful.

We have met and spoken to other couples out there who are extremely helpful and happy to give advice so it is also a very friendly complex.

We are going out for a holiday there in three weeks and we are really looking forward to it.

There is a great notice outside the development which reads

"Please note - you are not allowed to take a bath in the swimming pool" (The swimming pool has about two feet of muddy water in it at the moment).

I hope all this helps.

jdr Jul 2nd 2004 4:51 pm

Hi there,

We have just got back from our second snagging and our solicitors signed the deeds on our behalf today.

On our original snagging visit we had a few problems with the tiling being uneven and other problems. We were quite concerned because they told us the apartment was finished when it clearly was not. Also the grounds looked like a building site and nothing like the drawings.

However, on our second visit we found that they had finished our apartment and tried to fix all the faults. There are a few minor things that need to be done but nothing major. We have made another list and hopefully these will be fixed within a month.

I don't know whether you have left for your stay in Selwo Hills Judemclaggan but I'll tell you what we thought just in case you haven't left yet.

The grounds on the larger part of Selwo Hills are starting to look lovely. However, I don't know whether you know but there have been a lot of complaints. The actual development doesnt look much like the brochure. The pools are square not curved and there are no childrens pools, play areas, streams and bridges as we were led to believe. We spoke to Javier a couple of days ago and he said that there have been so many complaints that the developers are considering putting the childrens pools in. Our solicitors have told us that the more people complain the more likely they will do something about it.

However, even so, the development is impressive and it will be beautiful.

We have met and spoken to other couples out there who are extremely helpful and happy to give advice so it is also a very friendly complex.

We are going out for a holiday there in three weeks and we are really looking forward to it.

There is a great notice outside the development which reads

"Please note - you are not allowed to take a bath in the swimming pool" (The swimming pool has about two feet of muddy water in it at the moment).

I hope all this helps.

Welcome to the real Spain....:D :D :D

Manana syndrome......dont worry you will soon get used to it :cool: :cool:

ttbr2004 Jul 3rd 2004 8:22 am

Hi JDR,

Does the manana thing rub off? does living in spain mean you adopt some of their attitudes to life?

I am hoping that it will rub off on my husband, he gets stressed very easily and I want him to relax more and worry less.

Whats it like living in Benalmadena?

:confused:

Roy Leon Jul 4th 2004 5:50 pm

Just wondering.....

Thanks

Hi,
My name is Roy Leon, I now live in Holland and my wife Marilyn & I have just returned from Selwo where we have bought a 2 bedroom apartment in the Selwo Hills 1 Complex.
We are delighted with everything to do with the apartment. The quality is excellent and all wnet well at the handover.
The gardens however are way behind schedule and not to plan.
This is a disappointment in that we intend to rent the apartment when we are not using it and the state of the garden is not conducive to renting...yet!
I am new to this site, but if you have more questions please feel free to contact me with any question.
I would just say that the Sales Team from Müllers whilst very friendly and helpful were not always kept up to date with changes and events dictated by the developer Proibinsa.
Always check and whenever possible get it in writing exactly what you expect to be part and parcel of the deal.
We were a littel surprised to learn that we had to pay extra to have lights put in, and extra to have the kitchen equipment connected to main services, and no cupboards in the bathroom as in the show flat. And as previously mentioned the gardens and pool are quite a disappointment as they are so different from expectations and very delayed too.
That's it in a nutshell. If you need to know more please reply.
Best wishes
Roy

Roy Leon Jul 4th 2004 6:57 pm

Originally posted by judemclaggan
Hi,
My name is Roy Leon and my wife Marilyn & I are just back from 3 week in Selwo 1 setting up our new apartment.
To answer your question about where to buy furniture. I guess it just depends on how much you want to pay. There are hundreds of places between Marbella and Estepona from VERY expensive to very inexpensive. You should take time to search for what you want at the price you can afford.

We bought super inexpensive bedroom furniture at Señor Nicks....the shops look a bit scruffy but you can choose from a catalogue and the prices and service were excellent.
There are about a dozen shops along the coast.

At the back of Estepona there is an excellent industrial estate. It is mandatory to cruise through all the streets and investigate all the shops. Might take a full half day but well worth the effort.
There are furniture shops, carpenter shops that will make you anything to measure. Glass shops that make mirrors to size and shape and style. Cheap furniture suppliers, Expensive furniture suppliers Car repairs, welders, Oh just about everything.

Also take the time to park your car and walk through San Pedro town there are little streets full of every conceivable shop.

The biggest shopping complex in the area is at the back of Marbella just off the motorway. It's called La Cañada and it has lots of big quality shops and a very big French Leroy Merlin DIY store.....It's usually full of Brits making their own arrangements.

Between Selwo and the big French Supermarket called Carrefour on the way to Estepona are a couple of shops on the right hand side called Gavira and another called Martin. We have had good sevice from them and we also bought a TV and DVD. They installed it and set up all the channels for the same price.

You will have fun looking, even if you do get a bit hot and bothered. I wish we were back there now...it's damb cold and windy here right now.

Lots of luck and best wishes for a successful trip.

one BIG word of WARNING!!!!!!!!
Beware the odd thief.....They like to snatch ladies Handbags.
Even opening your car door, reaching in and pushing the unsuspecting lady aside whilst the handy handbag is removed.
The oldest scam is for an accomplice to knife a tyre, then politely advise the driver that the car has a flat and while preoccupied with this minor repair another member of the team will quickly and easily snatch whatever is loose in the car, most often that handy handbag. Please keep your valuables out of your handbag and preferably on your person.

Hope you are all taking note.....

Cheers
Roy

jdr Jul 4th 2004 10:05 pm

Hi JDR,

Does the manana thing rub off? does living in spain mean you adopt some of their attitudes to life?

I am hoping that it will rub off on my husband, he gets stressed very easily and I want him to relax more and worry less.

Whats it like living in Benalmadena?

:confused:
There is no way in the world you will change the manana syndrome, so as they say " lay back and enjoy it "

He will be alright as soon as he realises he cant alter it.

Benalmedena is a typical holiday place, i live in the Pueblo which is out of town in the mountains a bit, and is magic land away from the tourists.

Dont worry about bag snatching, its not that common....When was the last one snatched in UK....about ten seconds ago ???

the boudiers Jul 5th 2004 9:08 am

This has been REALLY annoying me but...........Where is Selwo Hills.I recognise the name but CAN NOT REMEMBER WHERE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would someone please put me out of my misery!!! :D :D :D

ttbr2004 Jul 5th 2004 10:33 am

To the boudiers,

I will tell you with pleasure. You need to follow all the signs to the Selwo Hills Wildlife Park in Estepona. Just as you turn off the main road to enter the road where the Wildlife park is located Selwo Hills is on the right hand side.

They have a beautiful showroom there which is what convinced us to buy in Selwo Hills.

As to the problem of bag snatchers I think, unfortunately, that you have to be careful whereever you are. Personally I don't usually carry anything valuable in my handbag and my husband has a wallet with a handy chain which is attached to his trousers so if they try to take his wallet im afraid they have to have him along with it!

lynntfox Jul 5th 2004 5:02 pm

Just wondering.....

Thanks

Hi

We completed our purchase on 7th June, and came back from Spain on 24th. We had a few minor snagging problems, some of which we dealt with ourselves because we were getting stressed by the 'manana' attitude. Overall we are very happy with our apartment, which is number 112, and the gardens should soon be looking very good. Like most people we have spoken to we are not happy that there is no children's pool. We have expressed our dissatisfaction by fax to Proibinsa but have not received a reply.

My husband, Trevor, is going out there on Wednesday, to attend the meeting on Friday. We feel that the best way to find out what is going on is to be at the meeting, and he would like to be on the committee. He is staying out there until Saturday, and then the next visit we have planned is from 1st to 9th October.

I think it would be a nice idea to start a Selwo email forum so that we can all keep in touch. What do you think?

Best wishes

Lynn

Roy Leon Jul 5th 2004 7:28 pm

Hi Lynn,

We are back home too, sorry to say, it's cold and windy here in Holland. I can't make it to the community meeting but I have made my views known by letter to Tommy who has faxed it to Proibinsa.
Like you we are delighted with the apartment, but yes the Pool is a big disappointment, and the gardens are so far behind schedule.
When we left on Thursday they were just beginning to plant the 'Tufts' of grass around the pool area. That means it will be many months before the grass has matured enough for residents to tread on it.
Access to the pool will be restricted to the single rickety, wobbely path, unless people plod across the 'Tufted' area and carry mud and dirt into the pool. So I do not anticipate an area to relax in around the pool until at least this time next year.

1/ I am left wondering why they don't turf that area to speed up the process.
2/ I am also wondering why they are using the fine 'English Grass' instead of the strong, springy 'Spanish Grass'. I'm sure it would be much more suitable for the area and require less management.

Oh and yes I think a forum would be a great idea for residents to chat on and air their views and feelings. For instance it would be interesting for those who cannot attend, to read the minutes of the meeting in such a forum.

Best wishes
Roy