Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Get a new life

Get a new life

Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Lee Hillyard is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Get a new life

We have been discussing emigrating for some time now, and have decided that France is where we would like to settle.
I have been in management for some time now, and have plenty of experience with commercial catering equipmet repairs, gas, electric, glass and dishwashers.
I am also a fully qualified electrician, with knowledge of plumbing,for water and gas.
I have recently rewired my whole house, and fitted new complete kitchen.
I can, and am willing to turn my hand to anything.
Can anybody let me know if City & Guilds qualifations are accepted in France, or if I would have to pass a similar exam?
Also any advice on obtaining employment (preferred), or working self employed would be invaluable.
Hope the message is not too long for you, but this is something I really want to do, and as soon as possible.
If you wish to email me please do so (note the 2 capital letters) [email protected]
Thanks in advance
Lee
Old Sep 8th 2004, 8:28 am
Pau
Just Joined

Pau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Get a new life

Hi Lee,

I've known of a builder who when looking for a house was offered loads of work before he'd even settled. However he is also good at networking.

Unless working for the ex-pat community your biggest problem in getting a job is speaking reasonable French.

You can check the French embassy on qualifications - I would suspect that you would have to do some tests.

Also you need to look very carefully on setting up a self employed business as the French will try and tie you up with paperwork and I believe you have to join the local chamber of commerce and pay heavy NI. Usually the local mayor's office can advise.

Good luck
Old Sep 13th 2004, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Lydia_700 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Get a new life

Originally Posted by Lee Hillyard
We have been discussing emigrating for some time now, and have decided that France is where we would like to settle.
I have been in management for some time now, and have plenty of experience with commercial catering equipmet repairs, gas, electric, glass and dishwashers.
I am also a fully qualified electrician, with knowledge of plumbing,for water and gas.
I have recently rewired my whole house, and fitted new complete kitchen.
I can, and am willing to turn my hand to anything.
Can anybody let me know if City & Guilds qualifations are accepted in France, or if I would have to pass a similar exam?
Also any advice on obtaining employment (preferred), or working self employed would be invaluable.
Hope the message is not too long for you, but this is something I really want to do, and as soon as possible.
If you wish to email me please do so (note the 2 capital letters) [email protected]
Thanks in advance
Lee
Hi Lee

In no way do I want to burst your bubble but I have to say you will find it extremely hard to find employment in France unless you speak perfect French. The unemployment rate in France is very high and jobs that are available will be given, rightly or wrongly, to a French person over an immigrant. I would strongly recommend that you look at another expat forum dedicated to life in France: www.livingfrance.com. There is a wealth of information about working in France, being self employed etc., etc.

Best of luck.