Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Free movement arround Europe after brexit

Free movement arround Europe after brexit

Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Rw94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Free movement arround Europe after brexit

Hey guys, really pleased I stumbled accross this forum yesterday and think I'll have to keep an eye on it in the future! Basically wanting to know everyone's opinions on what they think would be the best decision for the eu and uk after brexit. So far from reading up it's looking like a us style system (ETIAS) or possibly a reciprocal visa free travel as per what the uk have offered the eu. Personally i would hate to see free movement end and an introduction of visas / visa waivers but on the same hand it could be what we need. Just curious as to what other people think is best and or will happen!
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:42 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free movement arround Europe after brexit

The eu is already looking at a charging model a la american esta. Then if by car, you have to add the french road tax disguised as a pollution charge, swiss road tax, any more anyone? Britain already has a set of pollution charges, i understand dover is highly polluted...
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

i was already under the knowledge that the eu was implementing this system however I was lead to believe (correct me if I have miss interperated this) that the uk has offered free travel as long as it's not residency or work to those from the eu as the main issues stem from a high number of people seeking work/ residency and that the eu had stated that it was up to later debates weather or not the new system would be implemented to British nationals (I.e depending on the allowance for eu citizens currently living in the uk to return to their homeland and move back to the uk)
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:53 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Its offered but reciprocity is expected, without it, its probably off, so nobody knows... As to some idea of you are eu, live now in the uk, want to leave but forever have the right to return - i doubt it - i can see one might be allowed to become a uk citizen in some way, or a uk citizen abroad become of their current country, but it has to be tied up in a finite way?
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I get you, I certainly hope it comes to an arrangement where we can travel visa free however work and residency become a visa requirement and seems like the most reasonable option to me! Weather or not the people at the table actually believe that or not is another question. I think this is one of the main points for the next few weeks of talks so we should have an answer pretty soon should we not?
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:16 pm

Well, i think the uk has offered something but im not sure the eu is interested for now in anything except getting more money and doesnt want to discuss anything else. As the uk isnt going to agree a bad deal, and I STRONGLY SUSPECT the eu has not authorised YET their team to agree anything that is equitable or a middle way, this may go on till next year and all be agreed in the last week, but the uk will till the last minute have the option of no deal, close its borders and let the eu deal with its citizens. There can always be a treaty later of course if the eu wants it, after brexit, but there is a big problem for the eu, whatever is agreed, politically they have to say they won or britain failed, to dissuade other potential leavers.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Would this not cause problems for the eu in itself if there were closed borders due to the uk acting as one of the biggest sources of income in regards to providing people traveling though and one of the main sectors of the eu being tourism?
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:27 pm

It would cause short term chaos, but the uk can blame the eu for failing to be sensible, and the eu can blame the uk for not being sensible... actually i suspect it wont happen but like nuclear weapons it has to be on the table / possible.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Exactly my thoughts also! I can see us striking up a visa free deal based on visitation only 30 day possibly or something along thlse lines and tighter security imposed for those wishing to apply for a visa to work or stay. Like I said earlier I'm really enjoying reading the posts on this site and think I will try my best to keep up to date with the situation!
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You're confusing visa-free travel with freedom of movement. The former allows you to visit a country without having to apply for a visa beforehand; the latter permits EU/EEA/Swiss citizens to move between each countries to live, work or study without the need for a visa.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

ah sorry about that! I was under the understanding that even though the ey might be implementing their own screening system there was a chance at negotiating the process for British based on how negotiations work out and would only imply to those who wish to work/ live in the country. Sorry forgot to add I was basing this on the idea of not having to sign up for the waiver to enter and travel continuing as normall unless living/working in the country

Last edited by Rw94; Aug 30th 2017 at 8:34 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rw94
ah sorry about that! I was under the understanding that even though the ey might be implementing their own screening system there was a chance at negotiating the process for British based on how negotiations work out and would only imply to those who wish to work/ live in the country
If they implement an ESTA/ETA style system then it would presumably apply to all non-EU citizens who don't already require a visa to visit the Schengen area. Would this apply to British citizens post-Brexit? In theory, yes, but it would make sense for exceptions to be made for certain countries, similar to the arrangement between the US and Canada as well as Australia and New Zealand. Lots of ifs and buts before we get to that stage however.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

You litterally summed up my entire thought process in a paragraph, I do apologies for my lack of understanding on the matter I am new to this and trying my best to get to grips with it all! Do you think this would be something that will be decided towards the end of brexit as from material online it is apparently high on the priority list. Not that you can believe even 50% of what you read online!
Old Aug 30th 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Rw94
You litterally summed up my entire thought process in a paragraph, I do apologies for my lack of understanding on the matter I am new to this and trying my best to get to grips with it all! Do you think this would be something that will be decided towards the end of brexit as from material online it is apparently high on the priority list. Not that you can believe even 50% of what you read online!
Two parallel negotiating processes going on: one economic, one political. Economically it would be the most advantageous for both sides for the status quo to continue. Any tariffs or regulatory barriers that were imposed would damage both the UK and the other member states' economies. Politically however this is unacceptable as the EU needs an effective deterrent to prevent other electorates from also deciding to leave as it proceeds down the path of ever closer union towards the goal of a federalised Europe. What you currently witnessing is these two competing priorities pull in opposite directions.

Brexit will also leave a sizeable hole in a budget which has only ever increased. The real negotiation therefore is a cost-benefit analysis on both sides. The UK's will be economic: how much are we willing to pay in order to get the best possible trade deal? The EU's will be political: how good a free trade deal are we willing to permit in return for a payment of €XX billion? Everything else is so much sound and fury.