Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Algarve vs. Costa de la Luz: their pros & cons as British retiree destinations)

Algarve vs. Costa de la Luz: their pros & cons as British retiree destinations)

Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Alan_001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Algarve vs. Costa de la Luz: their pros & cons as British retiree destinations)

Hi all,
I have narrowed my choice of retirement destinations down to the Algarve vs. Spain's Costa de la Luz, largely due to their Atlantic climate, beaches, southerly latitude, cost of flights from my base in the UK and general cost of living. I've done a fair bit of research, but am still unsure about certain issues that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on. For example:

1) In the light of Brexit, which country (Spain vs. Portugal) is least likely to make residency awkward or difficult for retired Brits?
2) Which country has a political system which tends to serve the low-income sector of the population better (i.e., which is the most democratic)?
3) Which of the two countries has the least red tape, riskiness, unexpected pitfalls and hurdles surrounding the purchase of freehold property?
4) Which city in each of these two areas has the most to offer in terms of general shopping, entertainment, English-speaking professional services etc. (hopefully within an easy drive from Faro Airport)...

Thank you for any insights,
Alan

Last edited by Alan_001; Oct 21st 2017 at 6:01 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Algarve vs. Costa de la Luz: their pros & cons as British retiree destinations)

No first-hand experience but I've seen on the news that Spain have stated that UK citizens will be allowed to stay even in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algarve vs. Costa de la Luz: their pros & cons as British retiree destinations)

Originally Posted by Alan_001
Hi all,
I have narrowed my choice of retirement destinations down to the Algarve vs. Spain's Costa de la Luz, largely due to their Atlantic climate, beaches, southerly latitude, cost of flights from my base in the UK and general cost of living. I've done a fair bit of research, but am still unsure about certain issues that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on. For example:

1) In the light of Brexit, which country (Spain vs. Portugal) is least likely to make residency awkward or difficult for retired Brits?
2) Which country has a political system which tends to serve the low-income sector of the population better (i.e., which is the most democratic)?
3) Which of the two countries has the least red tape, riskiness, unexpected pitfalls and hurdles surrounding the purchase of freehold property?
4) Which city in each of these two areas has the most to offer in terms of general shopping, entertainment, English-speaking professional services etc. (hopefully within an easy drive from Faro Airport)...

Thank you for any insights,
Alan
Amazing how different two regions can be either side of one river.

1. Impossible to answer until negotiations settled, EU citizens in UK and UK citizens in EU27 part of the puzzle - held as hostages ???
2. Portugal probably has a more equitable system but then is much poorer and has huge social responsbilities which it struggles to meet.Public health services in both countries good and in some areas very good.
3. Depending on your linguistic abilities neither country has over-complicated bureaucracy when purchasing a property but there are some basic rules that must be adhered to :
a. Find a good lawyer
b. Never ever rely on the estate agent for anything apart from finding a property, any other services offered/recommended should be discounted.
c. Do not buy when you first arrive, try a long term rent in the town/area you have chosen - you will be surprised how your opinion may change over the course of a year. Particularly relevant in your case as you are asking about two quite distinct regions in two different countries
4. Towns near Faro which have good infrastructure include Loule, Faro itself, Almancil. Slightly further is Albufeira / Quarteira .On the Spanish side Obviously Cadiz, Huelva but you will struggle to find the range of english-speaking services available in the Algarve.
5. Portuguese cost of living undoubtedly lower - Algarve gets flooded by Spanish during the summer and close to the border all year a constant flow of Spanish shopping/dining and enjoying the fabulous beaches. Flow the other way to buy cheap petrol and occasional grocery shop in Ayamonte.

If you are retiring and not lived in Portugal worth looking at the Portuguese tax system and their Non-Habitual Residence scheme for EU pensioners.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Alan_001 is an unknown quantity at this point

LA, Wonderfully helpful; thank you!

~Alan