Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renewing a UK passport

Renewing a UK passport

Old Feb 25th 2014, 1:02 pm
Jeff, god of biscuits

Ems_8674 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing a UK passport

Has anyone ever renewed a UK passport from abroad by posting the documents to family or friends in the UK and having them send the application to the passport office, receive the new passport and then send it back to you abroad? I can't find any info about this online, it would seem it's not possible but I fail to see why I should have to spend almost 200 euros to do it overseas when it costs half of that from within the UK.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 5:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing a UK passport

You're not supposed to do it that way but you will probably get away with it if there's nothing wrong with your application. You'll have to get a UK application form though. A simpler solution would be to renew on a UK visit which is permissible. The overseas passport price should come down in April as well.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 7:32 am
Jeff, god of biscuits

Thanks for your reply.

May I ask how you know that the price will come down in April? Do you know by how much? The current price is quite outrageous.

Unfortunately I'm not able to visit the UK right now (probably not until May), I'm definitely regretting not renewing it quickly last time I was there in August but I was short on time and was sure I'd be back before it expired mid-March. :/
Old Feb 26th 2014, 8:32 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ems_8674
Thanks for your reply.

May I ask how you know that the price will come down in April? Do you know by how much? The current price is quite outrageous.

Unfortunately I'm not able to visit the UK right now (probably not until May), I'm definitely regretting not renewing it quickly last time I was there in August but I was short on time and was sure I'd be back before it expired mid-March. :/
It was the Home Office's main selling point to compensate for the loss of passport services at overseas posts. Given that all passports are now processed in the UK they will have a hard time justifying the double overseas price beyond April when the last overseas offices close.

How do you travel to the UK? If you go by Eurostar or ferry I doubt you'll have any problems going on a recently expired passport. Plenty of people who have loss their passports manage to get home by train or ferry. It might be more difficult to do this if you fly.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 11:57 am
Jeff, god of biscuits

By Eurostar. But I wouldn't risk travelling on an expired passport even with them. Last time they didn't want to let me through because I still had a luggage tag sticker on the back. Also they do scan passports so I'd imagine the scanner would flag it as expired.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever renewed a UK passport from abroad by posting the documents to family or friends in the UK and having them send the application to the passport office, receive the new passport and then send it back to you abroad? I can't find any info about this online, it would seem it's not possible but I fail to see why I should have to spend almost 200 euros to do it overseas when it costs half of that from within the UK.
Don't let anyone know but I did just what you are suggesting

My sister lives in Norwich and I used her address to renew my and my husband's passport. It was some time ago, but we did not have any problems.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 10:14 am
Jeff, god of biscuits

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping to hear from someone who'd tried it out. Glad it worked for you. :)
Old May 10th 2014, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Talwin is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Renewing a UK passport

Hi Ems_8674. I recently renewed my British passport and I am living in Slovakia and with no relatives or friends living in England, I went through the passport offices overseas application system.

It was quite easy, go to https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports there you can select your country and it will tell all the things you need. I downloaded and printed the application form and a payment form and sent it all via courier to the address given. In 10 days I had my new passport.

Yes it cost a bit more money but if you have no relatives or friends who could do it for you plus the possibility of it going seriously wrong I would definitely recommend this route.

Hope this is of some help to you and others.