Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Poland considerations

Poland considerations

Old Feb 26th 2018, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poland considerations

My spouse is Polish with Polish citizenship, and with us in retirement we’re considering moving to her homeland for familiarity and common culture. It was actually deciding between UK and Poland, with both still viable.

The issue is that Poland has really changed since 1982 when she left and where we met. Not just economically from those east bloc communist days, but as a political culture. I guess this applies also to Hungary, but it’s become a rightwing, heavily religious society where democracy and tolerance is under threat.

I was wondering if anyone else had these concerns in their consideration of resettling in Eastern Europe. From what I’ve read, Czechia and Slovakia are not far behind in this Trump-like move to the right. Maybe the politics there can be ignored, but I’m really not sure.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poland considerations

Originally Posted by Richard8655
My spouse is Polish with Polish citizenship, and with us in retirement we’re considering moving to her homeland for familiarity and common culture. It was actually deciding between UK and Poland, with both still viable.

The issue is that Poland has really changed since 1982 when she left and where we met. Not just economically from those east bloc communist days, but as a political culture. I guess this applies also to Hungary, but it’s become a rightwing, heavily religious society where democracy and tolerance is under threat.

I was wondering if anyone else had these concerns in their consideration of resettling in Eastern Europe. From what I’ve read, Czechia and Slovakia are not far behind in this Trump-like move to the right. Maybe the politics there can be ignored, but I’m really not sure.
The V4 are closely aligned, should that concern you greatly? I wouldn't have thought so.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Ross Naylor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Richard,

I have lived in Warsaw since late 2000.

I wouldn't recommend basing a decision to move to Poland on the current political situation here. While I am no fan of the current administration, the last lot were no saints either.

In general I don't notice much of an impact from them on day-to-day life.

In terms of society being more or less rightwing/tolerant/religious etc I don't see things being any different now than at any other time in the 17 years that I have been here.

I have a young family and certainly feel safe bringing them up here; safer than back in the UK.

My views are based on life in Warsaw and perhaps things are different in smaller towns or villages.

Hope that helps.

Ross.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 9:15 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Methinks you're placing too much store by the hysterical doom-mongers of the Guardian, NYT, etc.

"rightwing" - it depends how you define that, and whether you consider that intrinsically more wicked than being "left-wing".

"heavily religious" - these countries tend to be more religious than Western Europe is, yes. It's just one of the shared things that shape and bind the populations together in a sense of community.

"democracy and tolerance under threat" - no sign of that at all, other than the storm-in-a-teacup about the current government wanting to remove some judges (who were installed at the last minute by the outgoing government).

I'm also considering one of these countries in the longer term, and regard their tendency to look after their own people, culture and nation first - even at the risk of contravening current orthodoxies - and refusing to be bullied by more powerful neighbours, as a feature, not a bug.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the perspectives on this. Especially Ross, actually on the scene in Warsaw. Yes, I’m probably taking a bit of an exaggerated point of view. But we’ve seen the impact of Donald Trump here, and it has not been pretty. Civil discourse is not what it used to be and is divisive like never before.

And to tooboocoo’s point, yes I’d prefer living in a left leaning country than right. Again, also based on what we’re witnessing here. But then, the culture is different there and maybe not fair to compare in the same way.

Expatrick, it seems like an Eastern European trend, and noting out of interest.

Last edited by Richard8655; Mar 1st 2018 at 11:35 am.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

And to tooboocoo’s point, yes I’d prefer living in a left leaning country than right. Again, also based on what we’re witnessing here. But then, the culture is different there and maybe not fair to compare in the same way.
Might be worth reconsidering the UK, good chance of a Labour Govt. in the next few years!
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:59 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

To each his own - if you prefer a left-leaning environment, fair enough.

There's Canada, Ireland, the UK, and most of W Europe and Scandinavia to choose from, so plenty of choice for you. But those societies are also being profoundly changed, by their very tolerance and openness.

As an aside, I would posit that civil discourse in the USA took a turn for the worse long before Donald Trump ever thought of running for office.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Might be worth reconsidering the UK, good chance of a Labour Govt. in the next few years!
Exactly, and good point! Would be great if that should happen. Good to hear chances are improving. Also the fact that religion doesn’t dominate so heavily is a big factor.

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
To each his own - if you prefer a left-leaning environment, fair enough.

There's Canada, Ireland, the UK, and most of W Europe and Scandinavia to choose from, so plenty of choice for you. But those societies are also being profoundly changed, by their very tolerance and openness.

As an aside, I would posit that civil discourse in the USA took a turn for the worse long before Donald Trump ever thought of running for office.
Also fair enough. Canada is not as easily accessible for EU/US passport holders, but otherwise very true. And yes, discourse was not previously great, but it has gone significantly downhill since the last election. We know of some who are no longer on speaking terms. Sad to say.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

Good to hear chances are improving.
Glad you think so!

Exactly, and good point! Would be great if that should happen. Good to hear chances are improving. Also the fact that religion doesn’t dominate so heavily is a big factor.
I think you'll find it does, just not in the way you might expect. Religion in daily life here is as much about heritage as it is about theology, although there are of course many practising adherents.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Mar 1st 2018 at 2:11 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Glad you think so!

I think you'll find it does, just not in the way you might expect. Religion in daily life here is as much about heritage as it is about theology, although there are of course many practising adherents.
Yes, somewhat true. But I'm sure not quite as overt and on display in the UK. I'm thinking pilgrimage marches, ban on abortion, in vitro restrictions, and similar that wouldn't be seen with the Anglican Church in the UK.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

Yes, somewhat true. But I'm sure not quite as overt and on display in the UK. I'm thinking pilgrimage marches, ban on abortion, in vitro restrictions, and similar that wouldn't be seen with the Anglican Church in the UK.
Bit more to the UK'S religious scene than the "established" church!

Edited to add: You're right in one sense, in the UK, active, vocal opposition to "established" views on "sensitive" issues has been heavily suppressed, lest one be labelled an "ist" or a "phobic".

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Mar 1st 2018 at 4:01 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

The wanderer. is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived in poland on and off for the last number of years in both big towns and small villages. I find that politics here can be mostly ignored to some degree but they do exist and is also religious like they most recent idea is no working on Sunday so now most stores are closed on sunday.
Nothing major that i think would impact quality of life.

Other hurdles would getting paperwork in order like getting pesel and opening a bank account as a foreigner you will get the run around and wait in long queues.

Mostly Poland is a nice place that isnt so overly political or difficult for foreigners.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The wanderer.
I've lived in poland on and off for the last number of years in both big towns and small villages. I find that politics here can be mostly ignored to some degree but they do exist and is also religious like they most recent idea is no working on Sunday so now most stores are closed on sunday.
Nothing major that i think would impact quality of life.

Other hurdles would getting paperwork in order like getting pesel and opening a bank account as a foreigner you will get the run around and wait in long queues.

Mostly Poland is a nice place that isnt so overly political or difficult for foreigners.
Thanks, good information. Yes, I heard about PESEL (like a national ID number) as my spouse needed to get one in order to renew her passport. I wonder, though, if non-Polish citizens also need a PESEL. Thinking so, if a permanent resident.

We’re looking at either Lodz (family reasons) or southern Tatra mountain region of the country. But glad to hear you’re finding life there pretty good.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

The wanderer. is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes non citizens will also need pesel if they want to get anything done. Lodz is Nice it's fairly commercial but a good place if your looking for work, I'm not familiar with the tatra region but my wife says it's beautiful, apparently they have their own dialect there also although i imagine it would be difficult to find work around there.